Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Virtual Reality (VR) Pinball is the missing link between Virtual Pinball & Real Pins

ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma

Question

Update: If you're new to this thread, just skip to post #47 as we're not using the Remap board as discussed up until then.

I just got a PS VR and am enjoying Pinball FX2 VR on my PS4. I must say it's a real game changer.

I own 2 real pinballs (and am/was(?) in the process of building a VP - long story) and I've heard others say that VP is crap because it's just not the same as real pinball (being 2d and all). Now with VR pinball, I personally feel that 'just not the same' feeling has been removed. Playing tables in VR feels like you're playing at a real pinball. Having played the tables in Zen Pinball, I must say it's amazing playing the same tables in PBFX2 VR, going from a flat 2d playfield to a fully immersing 3D playfield.

And now with the PinSim (http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/569647-how-build-pinsim-virtual-reality-pinball-machine/) you can make it feel like your standing at a real table while playing VR pinball.

The above link is for an Occulus Rift/PC version, but with this PS4 remap board (

) you can build your own PS4 PinSim.

I've ordered a remap board and @hotty's gonna help me build one (and thanks to @DallasJ for steering me in the right direction to find the remap board).

Watch this space for more details in the (hopefully) near future... Now, if only Pinball Arcade went full VR on a PS4!!

Edited by ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma

• Answers 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Do you have any links to these exciters and acclerometer's for this application?

Didn't the cab dead_flip streamed recently use accelerometers to simulate nudging? (and real coils for the flippers and a shaker motor for pops, etc)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/224756126

No but i know pinball fx use one in their prototype table

That's the one in the stream I linked, right?

I'm picturing Fab <snip> apprehensive about calling me. :lol

Understatement of the year!! :lol

Not sure if this matters, but this project is NOT a VP cab. It's basically a PS3/4 controller.

@hotty, if you want to know more about exciters talk to @DallasJ. He's done it in his VP Cab. Not sure if it's doable with the brook fighting board :unsure

Also, at the start of this thread, when were were going to chop up a PS4 controller and embed it into this pinsim, I was aware of using the controllers accelerometer for nudging, but it wasn't available in PBFX3 or VR it was only available in PBFX2. I asked zen if they could put the accelerometer feature in FX3 and VR but they never got around to it.

Unless I'm wrong, all you guys are talking about PC setup. Even though this pinsim works on PC, it was built for PS3/4 use so I don't know if the Brook fighting board will let you add exciters. That's something for hotty to work out (oh the doctors bill!!)

Personally I think it's overkill for my pinisim but... and it's working so fine now I don't want to mess with it :).

Again @hotty, speak to @DallasJ. He knows exciters inside out.

Do you have any links to these exciters and acclerometer's for this application?

- - - Updated - - -

Id like to toy with the idea of an acclerometer or vibration sensor and see if I can get it to work on the interface board. I guess this Sim is just an extension of the PlayStation controller and not really a virtual pinball cabinet. But all good idea's and suggestions, just wish you guys had said it earlier. I was just beginning to feel normal again. I'm picturing Fab all excited but apprehensive about calling me. :lol

Exciters can be got off the shelf from Jaycar for $20 ea. you feel all the table mechanical elements like pops and slings etc through the cab/your hands, but also you feel other stuff like the ball when it drops out of a wire ramp and hits the playfield, you feel that... you feel motors, for eg in Monster Bash you feel the mummy's sarcophagus opening, and bride of Franky's head bobbing up and down. Everything you would normally feel in a real pinball.

The exciters don't produce sound as a wave, but as a vibration (there is no cone on the speaker.) You mount the exciters on the inside walls of your cab, flush against the wall of the cab, under each flipper button. the sound waves punch through the cabinet to your hands with full right/left seperation depending on the playfield location of the mechanical element in the game, and even front/rear playfield seperation if you have surround. Rusty cardores started a thread on this a while back , I don't have the link but if you search Poor man's DOF you'd find the whole thread and the technical rundown of it's evolution, his thread made me get these going. Again, this is for people using Vpins and Visual Pinball, but VP is 17 year-old app now, so has come a very long way in terms of supporting the extra bells and whistles. You'd have to hope that the console apps will too, so all this info is maybe just futurespeak for console/VR use.

With the accelerometer. Only worth thinking about if your console apps support nudging via accelerometer. If so you should be able to mount the PS4's gamepad PCB inside the cab (needs to be dead flat) and then you'd have full directional sensitive nudging also force-responsive. As mentioned up the page I use an old MS Sidewinder USB gamepad that has an accelerometer built in, a lot of other guys use dedicated boards with accelerometers built into them.

The back (if you zoom in (sorry not the bet quality pic) between the PFX3 and Stern logos you can see the Brooks daughter board that you plug the usb cable into to connect the 'controller' to your PS3/4 or PC. Unfortunately it's not wireless.)

If anyone is at all interested, the board I used in this project now does come in a wireless version: http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/41130595/

I'm not gonna try and replace what I've already got because I don't want to mess up the great work @hotty already did :)

All you need is a ps3/4 battery and plug it into the board. But be careful because I think ps3/4 batteries have different connectors. One of them fits this board.