Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

My Escape To Reality.

Like with this hobby, obviously you need to be picky with Who you would allow onto your property.

But the other option is Join a forum or facebook group, ask to tag along with them so you can learn else where or in a fosicking area.

On the facebook groups Im with, they have group fossicking from time to time, people just meet up and go fossicking, you learn allot from doing that.

If you do find some specs and get the shits with panning the other option is a high banker if you dont have constant water flow, that will allow you to sluice allot of dirt easily with less effort, and you can catch the water at the end of the high banker and pump it back through,

for panning water a cut in half 44gallon drum full of water is good for panning, but you could pan in less water than that.

My sluice is a river sluice as it requires running water from the creek but no power, a High banker is simular but you just pump water into it, Often using a simple 12v Bilge pump.

I haven't been back down to try yet. Won't be long and we'll see just what is there if anything. Bare with me.

• 1 month later...

Been a pretty busy week getting ready for another trip to paradise. I did my yearly order of chainsaw blades. 10 this year and two new blades for the ride on lawnmower should see me through.

I've just finished making a pair of small jumper leads. Only need small ones for jump starting quads and the other battery powered equipment and I made them so I don't need to use the full sized auto jumper leads.

Hoping to get the bridge close to finished if not completed and get some more scrub clearing done.

Also eager to get the showers finally completed. That has been an ongoing project involving setting up two new water tanks and all the plumbing that went along with it.

Heaps of wiring to do. Wiring is always going on as power requirements and lighting needs change but it is time consuming because it always involves removing paneling to get into wire harness bulkheads and it is a job I prefer to do on my own because I'm the only one that understands the electrics of the house anyway and it doesn't really require a lot of labor.

It will be a 5-6 day tour for me this time and when I come back, the first of two operations which I hope to get out of my head till after the trip. Hard to get them out of my head to tell you the truth and I'm starting to understand what and how depression sets in amongst men of my age.

Anyway, hope to have some pictures of some serious work completed when I get back in a couple of weeks.

I've just finished making a pair of small jumper leads. Only need small ones for jump starting quads and the other battery powered equipment and I made them so I don't need to use the full sized auto jumper leads.

Have you thought about a cheap anderson connector on the quads no need to use jumper leads then just plug in to the anderson and away you go

Have you thought about a cheap anderson connector on the quads no need to use jumper leads then just plug in to the anderson and away you go

What I'm really after is a way to keep the charge up to the batteries because using jumper leads is a pain in the butt. Better to just have sufficient charge in the batteries and then there is no problems. I did get in a heap of anderson plugs with the idea I would mount them on the machines somewhere and use a solar battery charger to keep the batteries charged but the andersons are simply overkill for that job as the batteries are mainly rated at 200mA trickle charge so I got in some of these style connectors....

s-l400.jpg

I am slowly fitting them to each machine and the solar battery charger is almost done. Idea is the solar charger will only charge one battery at a time and then step on to the next machine after a couple of hours. Once all the machines have had this done one after the other, the cycle repeats till the solar charger cable to that machine is disconnected next time it is to be used.

I have the solar charger itself completed but the part that steps on is the part of the project I'm still stuck on. I did make a stepper but it is all electronic and because the sun goes done, I think a mechanical stepper is a better way to go. Something like an EM pinball score reel is what I'm after now.

I will rewire the coil to run on 12volts and that coil will be set to fire once every couple of hours using a timer. When the coil fires, it steps on the score reel that allows the trickle charge to go to the next battery. A pinball score reel will allow me to do 10 batteries.

The sun doesn't come out that day and there is no power, the timer has no power and the stepper unit stays on that battery till it is unlike an electronic alternative.

• 2 weeks later...

Big visit to paradise this time, 6 days. I bought ten chainsaw blades for the season as I expect to finally buy the Alaskan Mill chainsaw attachment some time this year so I can start slabbing the timber rather than just cutting rounds and firewood.

As always on arrival I look over the valley and noticed something different...

0YZRLxq.jpg

A close up...

A73gWXB.jpg

Damm, not what I wanted straight away. A tree I was quite happy to leave alone because it is in the creek bed and helps to hold the creek bed together but this was a tree on an angle and this is why I cut down the trees that aren't straight. They pretty much don't stand a chance with the winds around here before this happens...

LJPhHOB.jpg

What made this tree such a problem laying down was it blocked the track and the creek crossing making it near impossible to get over First Creek even on foot and no way the quads could get over so 3 hours later, it was all stacked up in piles of firewood and another pile of leaves and small branches to burn come burning season.

xc8JFn9.jpg

I did leave the majority of the trunk intact on this tree. I looks like it may be a good tree to slab or some other purpose rather than just firewood.

sdLDXYi.jpg

Anyway, the priorities this visit are continue clearing crappy trees so the remaining trees will grow better and the ones I'm leaving are the straight, healthy trees and the bridge of coarse. Once the bad trees have been tripped over, then the work starts.

eMyqg4f.jpg

HNqTswQ.jpg

drNmzSF.jpg

Anyway, about 20 hours of labour later over a couple of days and the hill is starting to look much better I think.

ZMfuQjF.jpg

As you may be starting to understand, this isn't wholesale clearing of the land. It is managing nature so it can prosper rather than allowing it to over populate which nature has a habit of doing if left on it's own.

There is actually a science in it. You take to many and YOU cause soil erosion where the rain water strips the hill of the dirt however, you let nature do it's thing and no trees grow to there potential as the soil simply can't support so many trees growing in it and they are all stunted or because they are on an angle, they fall over on there own as seen at the bottom of the hill.

Must be a healthy environment or we wouldn't have frogs would we?...

J4HqbR5.jpg

Creamy, white frogs are in the dams around the house and you often see them in the middle of the night like this one.

Pretty much every morning was foggy till the sun burnt through it about 10am...

fp2Qmgi.jpg

The bridge is getting close for use. Well at least the main structure is near complete. Still need to make the ramps leading to it with the tractor and line the deck with slabs but that is the majority of the heavy hard work done.

dRhJZZz.jpg

Every 6th log is longer to mount the side rails to.

vVyEp8G.jpg

73zSTQg.jpg

usoKvmO.jpg

2M2gE6F.jpg

Well that is all the interesting things we got done. Heaps around the house also got done as work on the machinery, a bit of electrics, roof under the balconies and the list goes on.

I did take a Go Pro video on the quad and will link it here when Google decides I'm worthy of having a YouTube account but until then, that's all I have. Hope you enjoyed.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised although it took some time, my first YouTube clip I made on my GoPro fitted to the front of my quad. First video on the GoPro to but more to come.

This video starts leaving the house and down over first creek to the bridge site using the new tractor / car track then, quad stops at creek edge.

Next, leave the bridge site and up and over the hill using the "little forest quad track", back to first creek and down /up through the second creek, up the other side around to the "grassy flat track" and down to grassy flat and the other side of the bridge site. Quad stops.

Leave bridge site, back along "grassy flat track" , stop to pick up some bar oil I dropped earlier in the day and back down through the two creeks and climb back up to the house.

All up, about 1/2km away from the house or about 1/10 the length of the property. One thing about GoPros, they give you no real prospective on how steep some of these tracks are. Listen to the quad's motor and you can hear it working on some of the inclines........Enjoy.

Still learning how to use the GoPro. I think the next time I will mount it at the rear of the quad so you can see how sideways I get this machine from time to time. No wonder people die on these things.:o

Next time I get down I hope to take you all on a drive to the back of the property some 5kms away but first a few health issues to address before I get back to my Paradise.

Nice video, pitty you lost the tree,

- - - Updated - - -

Hurricane came through about 30th March, massive winds after plenty of rain, im in bathurst.

Yer the wind takes out many trees on the farm. This is probably a better picture with the quad to compare sizes.

M0r6jAV.jpg

The tree dropped right over the only creek crossing.

About two-three hours later the crossing was cleared. That is my quad the video was shot from by the way.

w4i0VEr.jpg

LJPhHOB.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I took a couple of days out of life to go refresh at the farm. Been windy lately with a couple of 87km wind gusts recorded at the local weather station in the last week.

Looking around the front pine forest, it seems most are still upright. Last two visits I've had to chainsaw up a pine tree each time that had come down over the track to the house.

3rIdkRX.jpg

Up on the roof I decided it was time to add a small 40watt solar panel. This panel will keep the quads and other small vehicle batteries charged up.

It will be using a 10 stage stepper unit, ( Gottlieb EM score unit courtesy of @thejudge ), as the stepper to take this power to trickle charge the batteries connected.

HIQ1pGM.jpg

This is the site in the creek the dam will be going. I come to the conclusion it isn't wise to build some huge dam wall on this creek pron to flash flood but a small reinforced concrete and stone wall may survive.

izuMLvD.jpg

wVnW7c0.jpg

A couple of 12mm reo bars set in the rock. About 1/3 the amount I will put in but this was more a test to see how well they go in and if the battery powered Ryobi hammer drill would punch into the bedrock. It did.

7sgnBia.jpg

62uxu5w.jpg

Looks like I should be good to get a decent wall in this creek to hold back some water. Idea is a small 1 meter high wall that I can hook up pump up to using solar, a timer and a bore pump.

Solar panel will charge up a truck battery when the sun is out at the dam wall. Now for the pro visors of this..

*If there actually is water in this dam, the float level switch will allow power to get to the timer.

*The timer is set to allow power through it for a set time and duration so as to not flatten the battery.

*This timer allows power through it on to an inverter that converts the 12volt DC from the battery to step up to 220volts AC to drive the bore pump. This operation takes place every day providing there is water, the battery is sufficiently charged and it has reached the time set by the timer.

If the dam runs out of water, it stops. If the sun has been poor and the battery doesn't contain enough power, it stops.

The bore pump has a 100 meter head and should be good to pump up the hill and I'm expecting between 100-300 liters a day of water from it all without me being there. It is fully automatic. Not much water but most days getting that water up the hill will maintain all the dam water heights well at least that is the plan. This dam is also the main source of water for the fish dam in the next gully over.

Yes I know dreams but that is the plan and most plans I have thought of on this place may take some time but I am getting there.

Anyway, I had a bit more looking around to see any trees that may have come down in the winds. Didn't take long, a grand pa old gum tree.

I parked the quad beside it so you can see the size of this tree...

YmIv4Oy.jpg

zSq7qta.jpg

f5JQctq.jpg

Fortunately only about 300 meters from the bridge so providing I cut it up into small enough pieces, I should be able to use some of it for the bridge. No doubt many more trees like this one down at the back of the place where it is less sheltered from the winds but until I can get bigger vehicles over that creek with the bridge finished, all I can do is watch them rot on the ground.

Until next time. Hope you enjoyed.

• 4 weeks later...

August Burn Off Week

Our regular August Burn off is done and dusted for the year. Eight days in total down the farm doing hazard reduction burning. If you asked me a week ago how many fires you lighting I would have said about 20. Well it turned out we lit up 39 fires. Some were 3 meter square, others 6 meters square depending on the crap real close that needed burning.

Thing is, at the end of it all some 15-20 acres is now far less chance of catching fire. Sticks, branches, dead trees, bark and leaves all gone.

lxh17cd.jpg

NFEyvZU.jpg

mVfnCz4.jpg

Enough of the fires. You guys have seen fires in this post before I think. One project that has been on going for over two years now, the backfill area in front of the shipping container. It is basically a car park for the quads, buggys, trailers etc is finally finished, The ground is now about 1 meter higher than it used to be and more importantly, level so the machines don't roll off the cliff like they could before.

CxDvLWN.jpg

1gnLdzM.jpg

The 12 volt Taito upright.......

Why didn't I build that thing for the farm years ago?. While it doesn't quite tickle my fancy like the beloved Black Pyramid does, it also doesn't require the generator going to play it either. The machine didn't miss a beat and did exactly as it was designed to do. Actually got about 10 hours of play out of it before I managed to get a solar panel up on the roof to recharge the battery. Plugged in the lead from the panel and I measured about 3 amps going into the battery recharging it. Some great games on the Pandora5 and I'd like to thank @Brad and @Arcade King for the guidance on the multiboard help.

9ru1J0z.jpg

I will be drawing on you guys knowledge for the next 12 volt project, converting my Midway TouchMaster 7000 if I didn't sap to much good will on the Taito upright 12 volt project.;)

1_e8b4b87c0ca98ff83704f0475cf0d069.jpg

The bridge......

Well the bridge we didn't finish but we now have a highway getting to it. Highway by the farm standards anyway. Neighbour brought over his excavator and now it isn't a quad track, it's a 2WD Mazda 2 track.

This was part of our original track....

jPm8n9q.jpg

It looks like this now....

oLnSaZS.jpg

v5nHsa7.jpg

GTbO8bd.jpg

WDUPvid.jpg

As for the bridge itself, it got two center piers in the middle of the span. Cut of tree trunk to slightly longer than needed. Clear the sand, rock and gold off the bedrock of the creek bed. Chainsaw a flat into the bottom of the beam, cut the tree trunk to the size plus 10mm. Jack up the center of the bridge, slide the tree trunk under and lower the jack....

68uCy33.jpg

One side done....

os1jnE0.jpg

Both sides done.

7reSqoG.jpg

Now the Alaskan Mill. I bought this attachment for a chainsaw that allows you to cut slabs from the trees rather than just turning the trees into firewood. Certainly a case of value adding was my thought for the trees that come down.

This is an Alaskan Mill, chainsaw attached....

4gFcOOE.jpg

This is how you use it. You can see the chainsaw blade and the aluminum rails that set the height of your cut.

nXQuU17.jpg

You attach a flat guide, I used half a extension ladder, to the top surface of the tree trunk using screws. This gives you a flat guide for your first cut. The first cut gets rid of the round shape of the trunk on one side. Now you have a tree trunk with a dead flat side. You piss off the ladder and now use that flat side of the trunk for your next cut. This is your first slab. Check the chainsaw dust out.....

tKdUwVi.jpg

XWryEQp.jpg

Picture of a slab turned sideways. I cut the slabs to 2" because the mill has imperial only measurements on the depth gauges.

oBkJk6u.jpg

O1NEFGi.jpg

Using the Alaskan Mill as intended. Much safer and easier with two people though. The back hates this position....

a3rklvb.jpg

Was only a small tree that got pushed over making the track so only good for 6 slabs....

B7mKre1.jpg

Easy to transport something we can't do with a tree trunk in tack. These went down the hill to the bridge....

qaUumAo.jpg

They were then screwed down onto the bridge deck to form the nice smooth driving surface. We will cover the whole deck in slabs because this bridge needs to take tractors, 4WDs, cars and quads.

G7AAYsY.jpg

RPoT45m.jpg

Did a bit of exploring at the back of the farm. Seeing as the bridge is nearly done and that means getting larger than quads down the back of the farm, I have always wanted to get a track that goes along the ridge rather than in the valley and open up the largest part of the property. Some damm fine trees as well as an abundance of wildlife on the ridge you can only see from the existing track about 1/2km away.

Scouting out a suitable path for the track come across a massive ant's nest. I think this is the biggest I've seen in NSW. They are twice the size in the N.T. but this is pretty big for N.S.W.....

biin4tr.jpg

Also found this native bee hive. I'll be back to that with a ladder I think, they don't sling being native bees.

ymBAc80.jpg

F8VJSWZ.jpg

The proposed track looks promising. It looks like it will simply be clearing fallen trees off the track and lining the trail with the trees. It is very smooth going along the ridge and more importantly, no bridges or excavation work needed.

We were going to slab up another tree the winds had only recently brought down and this tree looks prefect. 540mm in diameter and pretty straight. It had a branch coming out the side but I cut the section of the trunk out and managed to get two sections 2.3meters long and that will give us 12 slabs so well worth the effort but that will be next visit as well were on out way out that day.

nc8UyFb.jpg

Anyway, that is the burn off week finished for another year. Hope you guys enjoy sharing in my life long dream.

• Administrators

You know we're happy to help any time!

I love that chainsaw mill. Something about raw timber slabs just seems right in this scenario and that bridge should last some time. Glad the cab held up. Pandora still not the greatest but you can't knock how easy it is to setup and run with bugger all power requirements.

Brad

• 1 month later...

Upgrading Lights For The Quads

Anyone that has rode quads at night knows how shit the lights on these machines are. Problem is the factory lights aren't adjustable as in the direction they shine, they are limited by the lack of power coming from the small alternators to drive them and they are like a car shining mainly ahead rather than the direction of the handbars even though quads can near steer as rapidly as a bike and you really want to see where you are about to go especially at night with trees around.

I've had a couple of goes in the past at rectifying these shortcomings with mixed results but I think I have nailed it this time around.

The factory light bulbs are 17watts each and there are two so 34watts is what I have to work with. Any more and there is a good chance after starting the motor, the alternator won't have any spare power to put back in the battery with the lights on and either the quad will flatten the battery and the motor will stop or if you turn the machine off and go to restart, no cranking power.

My solution this time, COB LEDs. A pair 10 watts each in a housing attached to the handbars.

I've made a couple of styles...

IDTRCH9l.jpg

rmIfHZWl.jpg

P8N98aDl.jpg

AO2pNnel.jpg

Testing in suburbia has them lighting a 20 X 30 meter square in uniform light. Not real long range but you don't really travel at 80km/h at night anyway. Well not if you want to live long anyway with kangaroos, wombats and pigs running around everywhere.

When I get them on all the quads, I'll try and grab some pictures in the bush.

Ow, I went with twin 10 watt COB arrays instead of a single 20 watt COB array because of the voltage they run on. 10 watt are 9-14volt where as 20 watt arrays are 30 -35volt. The quads are 12volt. The only issue using COB LEDs is the heat. They run extremely hot and need to be attached to an aluminum block with heat transfer paste to get the heat out of the array.

Can't beat the price of the LED COBs either. $3.99 each.

s-l1600.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

6 Step Solar Battery Charger

Been out to make one of these for a while now. All it has to do is maintain the batteries in the quads, ride on lawn mower and anything else that uses a small 12 volt battery but I want the one unit to do all the batteries and that is the tricky part and the bit no one seems to want to make.

I made a mains powered one years ago and that thing has never missed a beat maintaining up to 6 batteries for years in my garage. This was it here....

I0lh2NGl.jpg

jhQYchNl.jpg

Hmmm, it appears I made this board in 2001. Glad I got in the habit of dating all my boards years ago. Takes a couple of minutes to add a date and it's useful information especially when you have updated boards for the same purpose like I have in the past. They may all be called the same on the board but the dates will change.

GaCtVmkl.jpg

The other board I made. This is the heart of this thing. It's a timer/ stepper unit. Remember, in 2001 there was no magical electronic board copper etch programs on the net. These boards are hand drawn and etched. You didn't do it that way then, you pretty much weren't making your own boards so you learnt what a Dalo pen is and how to make up your own batches of acid making sure you got your timing right or all your hours of hand drawing your boards was for nothing.

hXkPWAll.jpg

This board here I cheated. I didn't make it.

NFM4U7Jl.jpg

I got it out of a Projecta Battery charger.

A8539820-1.jpg?context=bWFzdGVyfGltYWdlc3wyODQ0N3xpbWFnZS9qcGVnfHN5cy1tYXN0ZXIvaW1hZ2VzL2g3YS9oNjUvOTQwODM1NDg0NDcwMi9BODUzOTgyMF8xLmpwZ3wxMWNkNGRmOWM0ZTQ4ZTE3OWY5MTg3ZjliNDhlZDRjYTUzYTczOTdmNDEzOTQyZjkxNWFmNmNlYTY0MmQxZDM2

This board handles all the charging. Originally it got it's power from the blue transformer and the 4 big diodes on the board formed a bridge to get DC into the board. In this re-purpose project I won't be needing the transformer or the diodes.

I will be supplying it with a regulated 14.5volts and definitely a lot smother than 4 diodes and a transformer setup Projecta had it doing originally.

How it all works....

The small Projector board has 14.5 volts going into it. You put a battery on it's output wires and the battery voltage is low, the full 14.5volts goes to the battery and charges it. Battery voltage goes up as the battery charges and the board detects this and cuts back on the current slowing it down to just 200mA which won't damage the battery. If you don't cut the current back, the battery will blow up/ catch fire etc. That is basically what the Projector board does. Handles the charging.

The "6 Battery Charger" Board....

Couple of things this board does. It has a pulse circuit that sends a pulse to a chip that counts. I set this chip to count 2076 pulses at which it in turn sends out one pulse and this circuit rests itself and it all starts over again, counting another 2076 pulses just so it can send out another one pulse.

This one pulse makes another chip jump to it's next output. Each output, there are a maximum of 10, drives a transistor and it drives a relay. This relay connects the output wires from the Projecta board to the battery that relay is connected to and that battery starts charging. The first chip counts 2076 pulses again, sends out one pulse that makes the last chip step on and move the stepper to the next relay and another battery.

The "6 Battery Selector And Output Board"....

This board shows which battery charging circuit is active. The yellow LEDs indicate this.

The green LEDs show how many steps or battery circuits the unit is set to. The black knob on the board adjusts this. If you only have 2 batteries hooked up you would set the unit only do two batteries however, if you have 6 batteries hooked up, you rotate the knob till the green led on the 6 is lit. The unit will now do 6 batteries. One battery at a time rotating around the 6 batteries and then repeating over again indefinitely.

Now to make it all work on solar...

Sounds easy but not really. Can't charge the batteries direct off the solar because your only going to get the required 14.5 volts when the sun is out otherwise you will only get 12.5 volts from the house batteries, not high enough to charge another battery.

Solution, use a buck boost inverter to boost the voltage. I use one to boost the voltage to 18volts. It will put out 18 volts DC no matter what goes into it within reason, 5 volts to 36 volts actually. Now I have a reliable 18volts DC which is to high but I run that 18 volts into another buck inverter and it drops to what I set it to. In my case 14.5volts. exactly what the Projecta board requires. This inverter also has current limiting so I set that to 2 amps maximum.

I put this all together only I used an aluminum housing box this time.

l89xUl8l.jpg

Buck/ boost inverter....House battery power in and 18 volts out.

I8J9oFWl.jpg

Buck inverter. 18volts in and 14.5v out.

Done. I now have a way to keep up to 6 batteries fully charged and maintained in 6 different machines and it all runs off solar when I'm there or not.

• 2 months later...

December Fires

I've been monitoring the Bateman's Bay fire and been a bit concerned the last could of days as it grows north. Two days ago it was 25-30kms south of the farm. This morning it was 10kms south. Rang the neighbour to see how things are going. Not the best.

Last night his wife left the area on the only road still open and he said his and our farms were under ember attack. To late for me to get in there and all I can do is prey all the clearing I have been doing over the last couple of years around the house was enough.

Weather predictions are for NW winds tomorrow morning which will blow it away from the farm but in the afternoon a strong southerly is set to kick in. That southerly has me extremely concerned as it will blow the western side of the fire straight at the farm.

My concreter lives 15kms south of our farm. The property was lost but the fireys saved the house. My other mate lives at Sassafras. Haven't been able to contact him but spoke to his son. He says his Dad was fine a couple of hours ago. I presume the mobile tower was taken out.

Fingers crossed we get spared, seven years of my life has gone into that place and I don't think I could handle that place burning to the ground.

I've been monitoring the Bateman's Bay fire and been a bit concerned the last could of days as it grows north. Two days ago it was 25-30kms south of the farm. This morning it was 10kms south. Rang the neighbour to see how things are going. Not the best.

Last night his wife left the area on the only road still open and he said his and our farms were under ember attack. To late for me to get in there and all I can do is prey all the clearing I have been doing over the last couple of years around the house was enough.

Weather predictions are for NW winds tomorrow morning which will blow it away from the farm but in the afternoon a strong southerly is set to kick in. That southerly has me extremely concerned as it will blow the western side of the fire straight at the farm.

My concreter lives 15kms south of our farm. The property was lost but the fireys saved the house. My other mate lives at Sassafras. Haven't been able to contact him but spoke to his son. He says his Dad was fine a couple of hours ago. I presume the mobile tower was taken out.

Fingers crossed we get spared, seven years of my life has gone into that place and I don't think I could handle that place burning to the ground.

Hope it missed you buddy

• Administrators
[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tpub1.jpg?w=600.jpg Views:\t0 Size:\t33.1 KB ID:\t2097230","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"2097230","data-size":"full","title":"pub1.jpg?w=600.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

Stay safe mate!

Some of the locals, infact all the locals because the pub is the evacuation location, all come together with all the fireys to protect the historic pub which they did. Fire storm hit the pub at around 6pm latest night being pushed by 70km/h wind gusts. Many properties lost. Ours, who knows. According to the RFS maps, the fire front is sitting about 1/2km east of our farm but that map was showing 5kms away 5 hours ago and besides, many farms lost outside of the area through spot fires.