Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Netherworld Arcade High Scores

Kaizen

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@OOO - I know you said you won't play Gyruss at NW, and that you don't really like the game - but if you don't play, I hope you can at least give me some tips :) Keep bleeding lives, esp when I lose the double fire.

Johnny Bonde that I met yesterday is mates with Kim (forget his last name for the life of me) who is another Dane arcade players who marathoned Gyruss a couple of years back for around 50 hours. Not looking to replicate that anytime soon though :)

@OOO - I know you said you won't play Gyruss at NW, and that you don't really like the game - but if you don't play, I hope you can at least give me some tips :) Keep bleeding lives, esp when I lose the double fire.

The way you keep improving your score you probably won't need my help ... but since I am coming over to NW next weekend, I'll probably play a few games.

Maybe I'll play BnJ on your cab too, just to see what it's like ...

And looking at your 621K score on stage 54, it looks like you got all perfect bonus stages! Well done!

The way you keep improving your score you probably won't need my help ... but since I am coming over to NW next weekend, I'll probably play a few games.

Maybe I'll play BnJ on your cab too, just to see what it's like ...

And looking at your 621K score on stage 54, it looks like you got all perfect bonus stages! Well done!

Yeah, didn't mess up one bonus stage, even when stuck with single fire. I do miss points from about Jupiter onwards when I ignore the 3 bonus ships that pop out after the initial phase - I make them spawn up the top and then hide down the bottom to polish off the other ships just to play it safe.

I know Barra and a few other guys really want you to play some games. Be great to see you post a score on BnJ - we have 3 great players in Australia, and it would be great for us to dominate the Arcade track on TG, even though Rob isn't submitting there these days. Nothing like telling the Yanks they are hopeless at a game to inspire competition and get me motivated to improve my score.

• 2 months later...

Not a record, but a PB for me on Donkey Kong [Arcade] - 273,400. Flash went off on the camera which is why the picture sucks.

Really think I'm making progress and getting more confident with the springs thanks to a bit of training with @Mameshane some time ago. Only 1 death on the springs in this game which ended on 8-5 (I think?), and I knew I should have retreated but didn't - I'm told that is making progress when you at least know you've made a mistake :D

dk273400.jpg.34c68a7d3b783f937290b4a7edda2d59.jpg

A very quick and dodgy video look at the Asteroids machine that is owned and fully restored by @Johns-Arcade. Trust me, the video doesn't do the machine justice, get in and have a look at it if you are a local. The vector graphics look fantastic and the machine almost looks like it's come out of the box. Didn't have a game, out of time and I also suck badly at this game. Have a feeling this might be in the next monthly arcade event, so I'll have to throw some tokens in it next I'm at NW.

Not a record, but a PB for me on Donkey Kong [Arcade] - 273,400. Flash went off on the camera which is why the picture sucks.

Really think I'm making progress and getting more confident with the springs thanks to a bit of training with @Mameshane some time ago. Only 1 death on the springs in this game which ended on 8-5 (I think?), and I knew I should have retreated but didn't - I'm told that is making progress when you at least know you've made a mistake :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]110422[/ATTACH]

A very quick and dodgy video look at the Asteroids machine that is owned and fully restored by @Johns-Arcade. Trust me, the video doesn't do the machine justice, get in and have a look at it if you are a local. The vector graphics look fantastic and the machine almost looks like it's come out of the box. Didn't have a game, out of time and I also suck badly at this game. Have a feeling this might be in the next monthly arcade event, so I'll have to throw some tokens in it next I'm at NW.

Nice one! Keep going! Once u get springs down u will become alot more confident instead of dreading the level you will look forward to the free points.

The glow on that asteroids looks amazing. i cant wait to play it mext time im up there :D and i will have another crack at wonderboy too.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Thanks John! :D

Actually, that cab was a pit stop restoration so that it could be ready for the weekend. I basically starting working on it last Thursday. The cab was stripped Thursday morning, cleaned and repainted that day (Vinyl paint). The game PCB was a working one I already had. Parts for the monitor and power supply were ordered Thursday night, arriving Friday. The monitor, power supply and Transformer block were rebuilt that day and refitted. The control panel is off my home Asteroids, as I didn't have time to recondition the original :D

I'll shout you a game if I see you in there John :)

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Congrats @John73

BTW you sure only Shane has been giving you tips? I recall someone else who has been trying to help you for years (to no avail) :lol

:D

Yeah, you tried your best and I have learnt a lot of stuff over the years from you, but I just didn't understand what you were saying about the "sprung stage" was actually the spring stage. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Moon patrol 109,240

IMG_20170603_143245.thumb.jpg.8fe44a460230e3bfee333901d63d4be9.jpg

@jimmi_nails forgot to show this to bar staff when I was at netherworld, beat my 103k score from a week or two ago.

@Mameshanes reign of terror as Netherworld champ on moon patrol is well and truly over, at least until the next arcade club event. :D

Edited by John73

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't beat Michael Kibbey's 850k Pac-Man score, but I feel like I'm capable of it after today.

Beat my PB of around 230k (MAME) today with a score of 391,980.

Bit of a rest, then followed it up with this:

pac541260.thumb.jpg.f55cffcd4acd79c2cb22db5309f5dd8e.jpg

Was playing the 9th key a whole lot better in the first game, but feel good about the 2nd game because the pattern wasn't ending as planned the majority of the time but I think in all cases I was able to complete it without too many problems.

Just guessing, I'd say I was at around level 46 - just 210 more to go for the split screen :D

Didn't beat Michael Kibbey's 850k Pac-Man score, but I feel like I'm capable of it after today.

Bit of a rest, then followed it up with this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112591[/ATTACH]

Was playing the 9th key a whole lot better in the first game, but feel good about the 2nd game because the pattern wasn't ending as planned the majority of the time but I think in all cases I was able to complete it without too many problems.

Just guessing, I'd say I was at around level 46 - just 210 more to go for the split screen :D

And who said Pac-man wasn't fun or challenging? Great score John and the improvement in your scores over the last few weeks is terrific!

Maybe the NW Arcade club and the competition from your friends there are spurring you on ... :079:

Great play!

• 1 month later...

Couple of scores for my day off for the Ekka (Brisbane Show Day):

Circus Charlie - 355,910

cc.thumb.jpg.cef213b6cc7313b980b137095ac3b3a7.jpg

Donkey Kong - 307,500

dk.thumb.jpg.e3982ba162ce69da2942e620ebe44a02.jpg

MameShane tells me he's seen me score over 300k streaming online, and I had a feeling I had done over 300k before also but bugger me if I can find any reference to it. Anyway, on a real machine, this is definitely a PB for me on Donkey Kong. Last death on 8-6 I think....

• 1 month later...

Haven't posted in here for a while, probably because I haven't had any scores to post about :D

Not that the first post is really being updated, I don't know if this score from @Mameshane was ever posted in here for everyone to see - done some months ago after an arcade club event:

1,246,560 :o

pacman_1246560.thumb.jpg.cc8dd34e7b4c2fbd310de1a37f04f21e.jpg

I haven't had a serious game of Pac-Man in some time, I really thought it was just get to 9th Key, run patterns and that's all she wrote - bit more technical than that :lol I might get back into one day, but until then massive respect for this score.

Went into Netherworld for a couple of hours today and although feeling tired as, pulled off some pretty good games (for me anyway) :D

Moon Patrol:

mp1.jpg.6459ba71ee60d3b71db9b5b3430e1965.jpg

For those that don't know, this is the end of section Z screen for the Championship course. I have never done this before, despite being close on probably a dozen occasions. Finally made it.

Final score: 172,760

mp_172260.jpg.b4d49986d3a1942c419b1389675991ba.jpg

Probably should have got a bit higher, but I think the relief of finally finishing the championship course overwhelmed me :lol I might add I don't think I've ever used continues in my life on this game, let alone save stating it to practice. This was pure grinding it out one credit at a time :)

Now for Frogger.

I heard a while ago from Jimmy that the cleaner at Netherworld was a fan of Frogger from BITD. Didn't think too much of it, until I walked in there a few weeks ago to see this on the screen:

1293803315_froggerscores.jpg.757c298804ab73c9bffb86ed9d40fcca.jpg

:o and double :o

Who the hell put these scores up? Quick, run and check out the chalkboard in the main bar...

cleaner.jpg.d7a2494abf38b58117bfa7c4b96a8486.jpg

So I decided, okay then, it's only like Donkey Kong (except on Frogger). I nearly had "The Cleaner" beat, when I completely and utterly choked, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory with this little effort:

frogger82370.jpg.5c5d2cd60dc31c262ea768db6bb57b1c.jpg

So close, yet so far. It's only 1,200 pts, I can make that up next time I have a good game.

Went in for a couple of games that following Sunday, and was introduced to Richard aka "The Cleaner" - had a chat about Frogger, he watched me play a bit and learnt a bit, I watched him play and learnt a bit.

Went back in to Netherworld earlier this week to knock off that pesky 1,200 extra points to see this:

frogger93k.jpg.2736227c5745a744dfb944c36e29b412.jpg

Bugger, Richard has added another 10k or thereabouts. Oh well, it's only 11,000 more than my score from a while ago, I can do this......

frogger92740.jpg.05c7e5cda751b241b3c979b373851289.jpg

.... ummm no I can't. I was 2nd life, 88k when it all turned to poo in a really big way. Nerves played a massive part thinking I was going to take back the high score at Netherworld :lol Homer Simpson would have said "D'oh" - I can assure you this is not what I said when I came up short for the second time :lol

Didn't know how I'd go today, but chucked a credit in and finally, the ball is back in Richard/The Cleaner's court.

Frogger 95,000

frogger95k.jpg.69870f44adea30ca6ef25b3c003df807.jpg

Final death was board 25 (for those that don't know, Frogger runs in multiples of 5 boards - 1 being the easiest, 5 generally being regarded as the hardest). Last death was guiding the last of the 5 frogs home, and not even to the far left home position which again is generally considered the hardest spot. Pure and utter choke. Had I got that frog home, it would have been back to board 1 which is pretty much means a free pass for the next 3 boards and at least 11k more for the score. This would of course have rolled the score at 99,990 :(

Anyway, FWIW I hope some read and enjoy my little story.

Hopefully Richard keeps playing at Netherworld, it's always more interesting when you have someone to compete against. As far as I can tell, I have a hell of a lot more time to play games than he does, so given a bit more time, I'm sure he'll push the score well over the 100k mark - I believe from talking to him that his high score from BITD was either 160k or 180k.

I wish Burgertime was there back in July.....:rolleyes

And who is that RJM character? Must be some random drunk :lol

You'll have to come back, don't suppose you're any chance in November? Gonna be score setting on other games apart from Kong I believe. Wouldn't worry either way, apparently Burger Time is a favorite game of Jimmy's, so pretty sure it will be there for a while.

You'll have to come back, don't suppose you're any chance in November? Gonna be score setting on other games apart from Kong I believe. Wouldn't worry either way, apparently Burger Time is a favorite game of Jimmy's, so pretty sure it will be there for a while.

Very tempting but it's the same weekend as the Melbourne Matchplay comp. I'm not sure if I'm going to that yet either

Frogger 104,390

frogger104390_99310.jpg.6fa5954bee1f66c4d42be9984a1b303f.jpg

Finally rolled the score tonight. Rolled on the 5th frog of board 26, which took me from 99,310 back to 310. Nearly brain farted at the start of board 26 (easy board) before rolling the score out of pure nerves.

Last life lost trying for the first frog home on board 28 - silly mistake, and I was probably still a bit shaky from rolling the game for the first time :lol

As with lots of games, the high score shows as 99,310, but the high score table which I should have taken a picture of, only lists my scores as 4,390.

Game time at a guess was 35-40 minutes, so pace is anywhere between 5½-6½ hours for a 1,000,000 game - I know I'm a long way off that, but it's interesting that my pace isn't nearly as slow as I thought it was compared to Pat Laffaye who score 1,029,990 in just a touch under 5½ hours.

This score, if played on an original board would put me in 10th place on the Twin Galaxies scoreboard, and there are some really big name arcade players in that list, including Dwayne Richards on 98k.

@zanderzone Did you say you have an original board for this? And is there a possibility it will be in the machine for the Kong Off event? I'd love to try to 100k again, and if he is around, would be cool if Richard had a shot too - get some Aussies in the top 10 on an iconic game.

Edited by John73

Netherworld Arcade High Scores

Frogger 104,390

[ATTACH=CONFIG]117205[/ATTACH]

@zanderzone Did you say you have an original board for this? And is there a possibility it will be in the machine for the Kong Off event? I'd love to try to 100k again, and if he is around, would be cool if Richard had a shot too - get some Aussies in the top 10 on an iconic game.

Yes and yes

Original boards will be in

Space Invaders

Frogger

Moon Patrol

Pacman

Galaga

Donkey Kong

Etc.

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Arcade

• 6 months later...

Finally made it to Netherworld yesterday. Working all around around Aus this month (on tour as audio engineer) and stoked we had a day off in Bris. Wish Defender or Asteroids were still there, but happy to eventually get a good run on Moon Patrol.

- - - Updated - - -

Screenshot_20180423-070248.thumb.jpg.968055b515fadacf7dff74deed101e07.jpg

Finally made it to Netherworld yesterday. Working all around around Aus this month (on tour as audio engineer) and stoked we had a day off in Bris. Wish Defender or Asteroids were still there, but happy to eventually get a good run on Moon Patrol.

- - - Updated - - -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]128122[/ATTACH]

Congratulations. That is the last high score I had on the chalkboard gone I think :cry

MP is a fantastic game, would love to own a dedicated machine like the one in Netherworld.

Congratulations. That is the last high score I had on the chalkboard gone I think :cry

MP is a fantastic game, would love to own a dedicated machine like the one in Netherworld.

Thanks John.

Im sure you'll have topped it by the time Im back in town.