Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

JPAC buttons not registering on computer?

Hey, total newbie here, got a DIY MAME cabinet this christmas, and i've had a lot of fun putting it together so far.

That being said, i've hit a snag with the JPAC. Started wiring up the controllers, and decided to hook the JPAC up just to make sure i'm connecting up the right switches on my JAMMA harness. But, none of the switches will register as events on the computer. So first i thought i'd miswired the switches, so i pull out the JPAC and wire a single button into the screw terminals, 1SW4 (with a cable in GRND) and on the appropriate switch prongs (COM and NO). Nothing. I pull out a multimeter and test the voltage, and the switch seems to be working mechanically (+5V normally, +0V when switch closed). I also switched around the NO to NC just to make sure the manufacturers haven't mislabelled them. Still nothing. In WINIPAC the 1SW4 pin is set to "Z". I also try different screw terminals, and also try wiring up a single button on the JAMMA harness, but there's still no output. The JPAC is being recognised properly as a keyboard by the computers i've tested it on (Windows + Linux) and i've tried using evtest and some xinput commands to listen for events by the JPAC on the linux machine, but still nothing. I'm using a Mini-USB cable to connect to the computer, along with a 4pin connector for PC PSU's on the JAMMA harness (which doesn't seem necessary to power the JPAC, i'm assuming it's for monitors and speakers and such, which i don't have yet)* I have tried swapping cables and USB ports too.

So i'm stumped, is the board just bad and i need a new one? Is there something obvious i've forgotten about? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers! (sorry if im mismatching my possessives and tenses, i'm a bit tired. I think i got them all though)

*I got this kit assembled by a very helpful arcade store, who did the JAMMA harness and JPAC for me (along with much more) - I got a 4 player Cocktail cabinet with a board for horizontal and 6 button games. - so it needed buttons added to the screw terminals and the harness which this store did for me.

Have you tried reprogramming the JPAC to make sure the input is actually Z?

Tried any other of the inputs on the terminal strip?

You could also try removing your button completely and just wire an input to GND and see if notepad or registers the keypress.

Have you tried reprogramming the JPAC to make sure the input is actually Z?

Tried any other of the inputs on the terminal strip?

You could also try removing your button completely and just wire an input to GND and see if notepad or registers the keypress.

I have reprogrammed and tried different terminals. I will try your GND idea though. NINJEDIT: I tried the one terminal i hadn't used, its reporting L's in notepad! so... bad board maybe?

Have you gone back to the "very helpful arcade store"? If they sold it to you they should be able to support it........

Yeah, i'm going to be calling them up sooner or later, just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something easy.

Quick update, all the screw terminals seem to be working, save for the one I originally tested the switch on. I plugged the JPAC back into the harness and turned it on, and put a multimeter to some of the switches I had wired up via the harness. It's only giving me +0.4V, when (correct me if I'm wrong) it should be getting 5. I also checked to make sure that I hadn't plugged the harness in the wrong orientation, and I hadn't.

I'm thinking this 0.4v thing is the issue, but I can't think what could be causing it.

In theory the inputs could be operating at any voltage within reason, they're just inputs. Nothing says they have to be at 5V just because the main board power is. But if you're saying the JPAC, with nothing plugged in, measures 5V on a certain input, and when you connect the full harness and test the corresponding switch you only get 0.4V, then the harness is your problem.

Could be a single faulty input though, I don't know what voltage the signal lines on a JPAC are meant to be.

• 1 month later...