Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Changes to Trading Section From 1st of January

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the being on a budget and it being Christmas time and all, but, $5- a year sounds/is too much?

Break it down so it doesn't sound so bad, 41.7 cents a month, or if that still hurts you can have all the benefits of AA for 1.37 cents a day :cool:

Yeah, I broke out the calculator.

So, got a new AA supporter?

• Administrators

Don't mind the discussion but I'd prefer it if we just left New Members with links to the rules and trading section rules. They are what they are and have been discussed to death over the years and the same old arguments keep coming up.

I don't want the site being promoted as some sort of paywall. The Trading Section is the lowest interest to us as Admin and Moderators as its not what the site is about. We have it there as a service to content contributors. We do NOT want people here purely for the Trading Section so there is a very very minor barrier to it.

All Members wether they pay a fee or not have complete and unfettered access to 99.9% of the Forum which is where all the best material and info is.

Brad

I don’t think it’s what has been said maybe just the way it has been said, and yes I know it’s been said a hundred times over and over again but we as long time members have heard that but the new comers have probably only heard it for the first time and also not everyone reads the terms and conditions when you sign up for things I for one are very guilty of this, so I can see both sides of the argument but for new members joining I can see how it could put you off if you get jumped on right away for asking something and yes five bucks is f**k all to donate but hey it took me years of using the site to finally get up and start donating and now I’m quite happy to do so and I very rarely use the for sale section if at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t think it’s what has been said maybe just the way it has been said, and yes I know it’s been said a hundred times over and over again but we as long time members have heard that but the new comers have probably only heard it for the first time and also not everyone reads the terms and conditions when you sign up for things I for one are very guilty of this, so I can see both sides of the argument but for new members joining I can see how it could put you off if you get jumped on right away for asking something and yes five bucks is f**k all to donate but hey it took me years of using the site to finally get up and start donating and now I’m quite happy to do so and I very rarely use the for sale section if at all.

... and breathe ...

About contributions, I'll give a bit of an insight into what can go wrong when a forum is not financial.

I was a mod on a forum for over 4 years but the rights to the forum was held by just one guy, a Texan and an all round great guy I spoke to many times via the phone.

The forum was extremely popular with over 17000 active members and a massive post count.

One day it was down and that turned into indefinitely. No contact, no warnings, nothing. No hints what so ever.

I was finally contacted by another mod about a month later that just so happened to have my details.

An English guy that was another mod on the old forum was then contacted and we literally had to build the forum up from scratch, (but unable to use the old forum name or links because they were held by the Texan).

Nothing I hadn't done before as I was the 32 member of the original forum but it was so sole destroying trying to build up once again what was taken for granted by so many for years.

Using Google's Wayback feature we were able to recover some of the old data but in the end we only were able to recover about 10% of what was on that old forum.

The new forum did build and after a couple of years actually outgrew the old forum but it was a massive undertaking and that taught me the necessity for a few golden rules regarding running a forum.

Make sure it is financial.

Encourage participation and regular posters by a diverse group of members.

And lastly and most importantly, don't allow one person to hold all the rights and responsibility to run and maintain the forum.

About the Texan, after about 18 months a fellow Texan on the original forum that had since become a member on the new forum, (when he was finally able to find the replacement forum as it was now UK based, not US based and under a different name), took the time to drive to the house of the owner only to find he had sold the house.

He got a new address and was able to contact, the man.

It turns out he went through a messy divorce and was ordered from his house by the police, ( I guess like our AVO orders), which made him homeless.

He was then bashed and robbed which resulted in near loss of memory and a 6 month hospital visit.

Because no one knew the hosting wasn't being paid, it was ended. ( Go Daddy)

A sad story but I think worthy of hearing and hopefully encourage more people to post, donate and lay off the mods a bit that in the background keep this place alive and all working smoothly so we members and visitors, financial or not, can boot up the PC, hit the thumbnail and read through a very well presented forum what others have had in there thoughts.

About contributions, I'll give a bit of an insight into what can go wrong when a forum is not financial.

I was a mod on a forum for over 4 years but the rights to the forum was held by just one guy, a Texan and an all round great guy I spoke to many times via the phone.

The forum was extremely popular with over 17000 active members and a massive post count.

One day it was down and that turned into indefinitely. No contact, no warnings, nothing. No hints what so ever.

I was finally contacted by another mod about a month later that just so happened to have my details.

An English guy that was another mod on the old forum was then contacted and we literally had to build the forum up from scratch, (but unable to use the old forum name or links because they were held by the Texan).

Nothing I hadn't done before as I was the 32 member of the original forum but it was so sole destroying trying to build up once again what was taken for granted by so many for years.

Using Google's Wayback feature we were able to recover some of the old data but in the end we only were able to recover about 10% of what was on that old forum.

The new forum did build and after a couple of years actually outgrew the old forum but it was a massive undertaking and that taught me the necessity for a few golden rules regarding running a forum.

Make sure it is financial.

Encourage participation and regular posters by a diverse group of members.

And lastly and most importantly, don't allow one person to hold all the rights and responsibility to run and maintain the forum.

About the Texan, after about 18 months a fellow Texan on the original forum that had since become a member on the new forum, (when he was finally able to find the replacement forum as it was now UK based, not US based and under a different name), took the time to drive to the house of the owner only to find he had sold the house.

He got a new address and was able to contact, the man.

It turns out he went through a messy divorce and was ordered from his house by the police, ( I guess like our AVO orders), which made him homeless.

He was then bashed and robbed which resulted in near loss of memory and a 6 month hospital visit.

Because no one knew the hosting wasn't being paid, it was ended. ( Go Daddy)

A sad story but I think worthy of hearing and hopefully encourage more people to post, donate and lay off the mods a bit that in the background keep this place alive and all working smoothly so we members and visitors, financial or not, can boot up the PC, hit the thumbnail and read through a very well presented forum what others have had in there thoughts.

Is the moral of the story - don't trust a Texan???

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys, If I can't see what members are selling, can you suggest somewhere (other than gumtree / ebay ) where I can look to find entry level machines. Just getting into collecting/tinkering and it was recommended that I join AA, as there are lots of people on here who can help answer questions, even from NOOBs like me.

Cheers

Al

Hi Guys, If I can't see what members are selling, can you suggest somewhere (other than gumtree / ebay ) where I can look to find entry level machines. Just getting into collecting/tinkering and it was recommended that I join AA, as there are lots of people on here who can help answer questions, even from NOOBs like me.

Cheers

Al

Plenty of Facebook Aus pinball sale sites about.

Welcome aboard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...