Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MAME ROM question

I take it you are looking at the popular rom download sites that deal with single rom files? if you look up rom torrent sites such as the one one in the UK who's name includes the words Pleasure and Dome then the roms are in version packs for a specific mame version. You can start by downloading a fresh up to date rom set and then use that to update when new versions come out.

this thread will also provide some answers to your question http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=272656&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

You could use Romcenter and a datfile to find out if the rom will suit a particular version of MAME (and convert it if it doesn't), but I don't know a way to figure out what set roms are from automatically. I find even searching for particular versions can be hit and miss with what version I actually get in the download/torrent.

I take it you are looking at the popular rom download sites that deal with single rom files? if you look up rom torrent sites such as the one one in the UK who's name includes the words Pleasure and Dome then the roms are in version packs for a specific mame version. You can start by downloading a fresh up to date rom set and then use that to update when new versions come out.

this thread will also provide some answers to your question http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=272656&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Yes, I was looking at the single rom file downloads. I am using a MacBook, I don't know how complicated (or safe) it is to use torrents but I'll look into it. The problem with PD is that they don't accept freemail accounts when registering, I only use freemail accounts :(

You could use Romcenter and a datfile to find out if the rom will suit a particular version of MAME (and convert it if it doesn't), but I don't know a way to figure out what set roms are from automatically. I find even searching for particular versions can be hit and miss with what version I actually get in the download/torrent.

This sounds interesting, where can I find a Datfile for each of the emulators on the RaspberryJAMMA board? :unsure

Cheers,

Matthew

Yes, I was looking at the single rom file downloads. I am using a MacBook, I don't know how complicated (or safe) it is to use torrents but I'll look into it. The problem with PD is that they don't accept freemail accounts when registering, I only use freemail accounts :(

I used yahoo and worked fine for me. If not try gmail (not often recognised as a freemail)

Also if torrenting consider a seedbox/and or a VPN

OK, I downloaded Romcenter and installed it. I pointed Romcenter at the AdvMame12-106.dat file and generated a database. I found my MAME 0.124 romset from years ago, so I pointed Romcenter at those ROMs. The results are 5647 "green" playable games, 330 "yellow" incomplete games, and 189 "red" not working games. Does that mean that the playable games from the 0.124 romset will work on AdvMame? :unsure If I select an incomplete game and select "Fix selected item", will that change the ROM, in which case I will need to have separate ROM directories for each emulator? :unsure

Cheers,

Matthew

The green games should be playable, the yellow ones can be fixed automatically (usually a missing piece that can be copied from another game or renamed files) but it will change the zipfiles so you will probably want to copy the set before hand. Sometimes yellow roms are only missing the samples and can be played without them.

The green games should be playable, the yellow ones can be fixed automatically (usually a missing piece that can be copied from another game or renamed files) but it will change the zipfiles so you will probably want to copy the set before hand. Sometimes yellow roms are only missing the samples and can be played without them.

Awesome, thanks! I have the samples for some games, where do I need to copy them to on the RPi 3 board?

Cheers,

Matthew

Awesome, thanks! I have the samples for some games, where do I need to copy them to on the RPi 3 board?

Cheers,

Matthew

I'm not certain but I suspect they're already there, most of the time I don't remember to delete them when making images.

You can also have romcenter put the samples in with the rest of the rom (bios files too if you like) to make the individual zipfiles complete running games, it can simplfy what files you need for a rom to run at the expence of some disk space.

I'm not certain but I suspect they're already there, most of the time I don't remember to delete them when making images.

You can also have romcenter put the samples in with the rest of the rom (bios files too if you like) to make the individual zipfiles complete running games, it can simplfy what files you need for a rom to run at the expence of some disk space.

I think I will do that, Romcenter seems to be a handy little program. Do you have a list of the SD cards that will work with the RPi? I'm thinking I might need a bigger capacity card ...

there's a few old lists found online but I just buy Sandisks from officeworks. The Sandisk cards all have been ok though I've only tried up to 32 gig myself, I think someone said 64gig gave them issues but I'm not sure. You can fit a fair few games onto an 8gig card though.

there's a few old lists found online but I just buy Sandisks from officeworks. The Sandisk cards all have been ok though I've only tried up to 32 gig myself, I think someone said 64gig gave them issues but I'm not sure. You can fit a fair few games onto an 8gig card though.

True, but size is everything ;)

• 3 months later...

Anyone know if Virtua Tennis 1/2 works smoothly in MAME, I once got it started, but it was running 15X slower than the real thing.

It had a message saying the game may not run properly and you may have to wait until there is support for it later.

I think it is in the green list however, can someone let me know?