Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Netherworld Arcade needs your help

Great to see an arcade with "classic arcade games and pinball" in volume ... in this country again!

Nice idea the board games too.

Anyway looking for good sound and interest? ... check out this game music gig ...

And the weird Gyruss in the bubble that caught my eye ... ;)

Netherworld1_2017.thumb.jpg.a0df74f3e08f2c6647f7f0a8cb3522f7.jpg

Any one take any more pics? ... would be nice to see here and keep for history what this great arcade looks and looked like ... http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Pacman_Machine_zpsb3b61f58.gif

Great to see an arcade with "classic arcade games and pinball" in volume

Any one take any more pics? ... would be nice to see here and keep for history what this great arcade looks and looked like ...

They have a Long lease.... they aren't going anywhere

442bce8b973061324fdb8e251f137b43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

I was having a quick chat with Jimmi on Saturday, he said that Gyruss was purchased rather quickly when it appeared online - it was apparently the Gyruss machine that was housed at Las Vegas (the last true Arcade in Brisbane IMO). The bubble is sort or weird, but still very playable. You'll never truly appreciate Gyruss though unless it's the only machine in the room and there aren't any other background sounds to drown out the incredible Bach Tocatta soundtrack - of course you'd need to have been alive and in the computer game scene in 1983 to appreciate just how good the music is on this game.

Jimmi also mentioned to me that he had another name in mind rather than Netherworld, and it was a reference to Las Vegas - can't remember the name and I'll leave it to him to tell the story to you all should he wish.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103954[/ATTACH]

The first Gyruss I ever saw was in one of those bubble cabinets at Timezone Liverpool in either 1983 or early 84. I think it suits the game quite well.

The first Gyruss I ever saw was in one of those bubble cabinets at Timezone Liverpool in either 1983 or early 84. I think it suits the game quite well.

You'd think something like that would distort the display, but it works nicely. Maybe if the lighting was in the wrong spot it would be hard to see. The Gyruss machine is sited in the main bar, away from the majority of arcade machines - probably because of it's weird size.

Only problem I found with the Gyruss machine (apart from Brad saying it wasn't taking coins or tokens) was that the ball on the joystick was coming loose. No biggy though, it played nicely and I was happy to make it to Earth on my first game not knowing what settings it was on and having not played it on a real machine or MAME in a fair while.

It wasn't on easiest settings, pretty sure it was 3 starting ships but the enemies fired at you while coming out from stage 1 - it doesn't do that on the first two difficulty settings and I'm too sleepy to check out the rest of the settings tonight.

You'd think something like that would distort the display, but it works nicely. Maybe if the lighting was in the wrong spot it would be hard to see. The Gyruss machine is sited in the main bar, away from the majority of arcade machines - probably because of it's weird size.

Only problem I found with the Gyruss machine (apart from Brad saying it wasn't taking coins or tokens) was that the ball on the joystick was coming loose. No biggy though, it played nicely and I was happy to make it to Earth on my first game not knowing what settings it was on and having not played it on a real machine or MAME in a fair while.

It wasn't on easiest settings, pretty sure it was 3 starting ships but the enemies fired at you while coming out from stage 1 - it doesn't do that on the first two difficulty settings and I'm too sleepy to check out the rest of the settings tonight.

Bootleg board - standard setting is hard

3 ships

Extra at 30K and 80K

Bootleg board - standard setting is hard

3 ships

Extra at 30K and 80K

Under MAME 177 which I normally use, there are 8 settings for difficulty - only 3 of them have names - 1 (easiest), 5 (average) and 8 (hardest). Just had a quick play on 8 with MAME and it seemed similar, so maybe that is in fact the setting at Netherwold :unsure I played this as a kid when we got a machine sited at my parents Milkbar, and it definitely wasn't on this setting - but of course operators could set them to whatever they wanted.

Found a DIP sheet on KLOV, but my eyes are probably too bad to see what are default settings, and that was for the Venus variation - NFI if Venus or Gyruss is the original of this machine. This was also from a Konami variation, not Centuri - again I don't know enough about the history to know if one was a bootleg or if Centuri was a subsidiary of Konami or vice versa.

FWIW - TG has this info for their Marathon track (and TG has changed DIPs over the years without telling anyone - trust me on this) and claim it's a Centuri game:

Dip-Switch Bank 1:

1-8 = OFFDip-Switch Bank 2:

1-2 = OFF

3 = OFF/ON [Table/Upright]

4-5 = ON

6 = OFF

7-8 = ONDip-Switch Bank 3:

1 = ONNote:

The above Dip Switches, are not only the FACTORY DEFAULT settings, but are also the correct Twin Galaxies Settings for this title and will provide the following settings;Number of Spaceships: 3

Extra Ship: 60,000 Points and every 80,000 Points thereafter

Level of Difficulty: [6] Difficult

Music: On

Great to see an arcade with "classic arcade games and pinball" in volume ... in this country again!

Nice idea the board games too.

Anyway looking for good sound and interest? ... check out this game music gig ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103954[/ATTACH]

Any one take any more pics? ... would be nice to see here and keep for history what this great arcade looks and looked like ... http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Pacman_Machine_zpsb3b61f58.gif

They also found a Grundy's token inside that Gyruss, so rad! 15032863_1215939331797698_3044186181829906875_n.thumb.jpg.0e32ffb1d205472257037499add64ae3.jpg

Hey guys and girls

Firstly thank you to everyone who has shown as so much love, support and patience since opening. We are having some teething problems at the moment but we are endeavoring to get them all sorted asap. Also much appreciate John73 and Dr Teeth posting on this thread and keeping everyone up to date with how we are rolling. I have been flat out as some of you have witnessed :).

I also had a blast meeting some of you guys face to face over the weekend and getting to know the arcade side of this forum. I have been running pinball comps since 2012 but am keen to start supporting the arcade scene too.

Will list below what boards we have in the classic machines so you guys have full knowledge of what you're playing with. We pushed really hard to get open before we ran out of cold hard cash so some machines were finished in a rush and we still have a ways to go before we get the machines in order for you guys. To the average punter it means nothing, but we want to be a hub for serious gamers too.

On that note, if someone like Barra or Kibbey has the potential to reach a KS or Million Plus on DK for example, we would love to make an event out of it. Get the right boards and ds settings setup, contact TG and live stream the game around the venue. We have some flat screens tv's in the venue and a great sound and vision tech who would love to set this up. Just get in contact with me via AA or my email at the bar (jimmy@netherworldarcade.com) and give me a couple of weeks notice.

I am also running pinball and arcade training sessions during our kids events on a Sunday. Once a month we will open early and let people bring in their kids and let them have at the machines. Tokens will be super cheap so the kids can really have some fun. Throughout these sessions I will be running glass off basic and intermediate pinball training. If anyone would like to also do some basic arcade training that would be amazing. Kibbey has already offered his services which is awesome. Just a couple of minutes to show the kids some simple techniques then jump out the way and let them have a bash.

Current boards:

DK - original board

Pac-Man - original board

Galaga - original board I think (maybe a bootleg, Zanderzone may be able to clarify)

Spacies - 60/1 - will get an original shortly, am sure Kaizen has a spare :)

Joust 19/1 - original board in the mail and on the way

Defender 9/1 - on the hunt

Frogger - 60/1 - original board has arrived, will be installed soon

Rampage - original board

Gyruss - bootleg

If you have questions about any other machines let me know. Super massive thank you to everyone on this forum who has helped out before, during and after opening. Too many to list here. Can't wait to meet more of you at the bar over the next few months. We have signed a super long lease so with your help we hope to be around for a long time.

Cheers, Jimmy

p.s - sorry for any typos or confusing sentences, has been a long couple of weeks :)

Bugger the machine what about the cute blonde lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103887[/ATTACH]

Friend of mine who is actually a competitive fighting game player, really gave me a rinsing

Wish he was around when I was in there. I took on a few locals at Street Fighter, and they all ran away. Would have been nice to have some real competition on the day.

Morning mates

We have our first 'Little Monsters' event his Sunday. Cheap tokens for kids from 10am to midday provided they come with a guardian.

Anyone interested in helping out with some arcade training? Am not too sure yet how much time the kids will be willing to stop playing for to learn but would be great to have a couple of professionals around to show kids how to play DK, Galaga, Pac-Man etc.

Myself and Chris Wade will do pinball training.

Happy to pay with a couple of beers and some lunch.

Cheers!!

Anyone interested in helping out with some arcade training?

Hey Jimmi,

Keen to help, but I can't hack this heat at the moment (health issues causing problems in this weather). Will definitely put my hand up for a few of these when the weather cools down.

My kids (9 and 11) loved the place on opening day, and have been nagging for us to go back. :)

I have to go into work in the arvo, but I will try my best to get there in the morning. I suck at most arcade games, but I can provide basic Donkey Kong, Street Fighter and NBA Jam training for the kids. I will try to convince my wife to come in and bring my toddler. He loves pinballs, although he can't play them yet :)

Hey Jimmi,

Keen to help, but I can't hack this heat at the moment (health issues causing problems in this weather). Will definitely put my hand up for a few of these when the weather cools down.

My kids (9 and 11) loved the place on opening day, and have been nagging for us to go back. :)

the aircon was nice yesterday when I was there :) another incentive perhaps...

the aircon was nice yesterday when I was there :) another incentive perhaps...

Sadly this weather is destroying me at the moment (again, boring health stuff that I won't drone on about).

As soon as we get a few days sub-50% humidity, I'll definitely be along to teach the next generation what real games were like. :)

• 2 months later...

Finally made my way to Netherworld this evening for a mates birthday. Great set up, gret selection of machines. I felt a little bamboozled by the menu so just ordered chips but I figure all the young hipsters there are in tune with it :D

Oh, and Barra happened to be there setting a record on the Galaga machine. Over 3 million points! I later had a go and got 60 thousand or so :D Congratulations Barra!

• 1 month later...

Hey mates

We are looking for a couple of basketball arcade shooters. Will only be used once a year for a week so not looking to buy new.

Would be happy to lease them also.

Something like theseshoottowinsouble.jpg.556115ca6394ce4a608faf021c9815b6.jpg

Cheers!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey mates

We are on the hunt again for some fun machines to help with our EKKA themed event. Any laughing clowns, duck shooting, ball/ring toss games, fortune teller, ski ball machines we would consider leasing or borrowing or buying for the two week long event.

Also hoping to find a cool popcorn machine and a fairy floss machine.

If you have of these or anything you think would suit the event let me know.

Cheers, Jimmy

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...