Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Sega Outrun Upright Road and vertical stripe problem

Arcad3

Question

Hello I am John and I am restoring an Sega Outrun upright Arcade, you can find some pictures from the progress so far in my introduction topic: http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/84434-Introduction

Unfortunately I've got some problems with the game which I haven't solved so far and I really would like to have some help on solving these problems.

The problems are:

- Stripes in the clouds, but also stripes in the music selection screen. The C.R.T. Test does show these stripes too...

- The right road data is not good, as you can see in the pictures attached the road at the right site looks weird from the start, and on the fork in the end of the stage where you can choose to go left or right the right road is not visible at all, however you can steer to the right there and drive through the grass to get into the stage which is on the right... :confused:

Tried so far:

- Removed the EPROMS and cleaned everything with a brush (it didn't look really dirty before, but had to try something)

- Replaced all capacitors on both pcbs (I haven't done anything on the monitor yet as I think that the problems are PCB related)

I am not so experienced with fixing these kind of problems therefor I would love to receive a "step by step" how to ;)

My idea for the next thing to do was to test the roms with an Eprom programmer and compare them to the MAME data, but unfortunately I don't got an Eprom programmer.

Before I buy one (any recommendations?) I think it is smart to first test all the things which could cause these problems. But what, and how is the question...

Thanks in advance, your help is really appreciated!

1a stripes.JPG1b stripes.jpg1c test with stripes.JPG2a road data.JPG2b IMG_6118.JPG2c test.JPG

Edited by Arcad3
Oops, I forgot to attach the picture :-)

I've got a feeling I'm getting close to a 100% working Sega Outrun!

1+1= 2... ?

This was my IC95 (74als138n, a decoder/demultiplexer) http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/15239/PHILIPS/74ALS138N.html

last year, the legs were rusty, but I was able to remove almost everything of it.

ic 95 74als138n.jpg

But now I read this repair log and became aware that the IC mentioned is the IC which was rusty on my CPU Board... (I know the article is about an Outrun Turbo)

sega outrun turbo background problems.png

I'm going to order the IC, replace it and turn on the machine.... :D

Sega Outrun Upright Road and vertical stripe problem

I found out that IC102, 103 and 104 on the video board contain the data of the background clouds. Since there are stripes in it there is a big chance that one of the data lines from those chips don't work.

I've ordered an eprom programmer so I can test those eproms and eventually replace them. :)

Edited by Arcad3

Damn, was getting right into this thread

i have my outrun here

suddenly pooped itself :S

did you get yours sorted mate in the end ?

thanks

dave

Ah hopefully you've fixed it by now.

I have been lucky... I was buying a SF2 bootleg pcb from someone and started to talk about Outrun.

Then he said he had the pcb for sale... I bought it and used the video pcb on mine. From then on there were no stripes through the clouds.

I still need to repair the other video pcb... but there is not much need for that anymore. Also I rather don't touch a working Outrun (other than the steering wheel 😄).

Also it is very annoying to test the video pcb while it is put on the data pcb... I wasn't able to find the right cables for it... which would make it possible to do some easy measurements on the video pcb while it is running.

One day I will fix it 😊