Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Census website down

This site can’t be reached

stream10.census.abs.gov.au took too long to respond.

Try:

Reloading the page

Checking the connection

Checking the proxy and the firewall

ERR_TIMED_OUT

:lol

I did mine last night, and I know (but a lot probably don't) that it doesn't necessarily need to be in tonight - but I find this really amusing when the the ABS has been all over the media assuring Australia that they had the capabilities to take way more than the anticipated demand.

Maybe a DOS attack?

I finished the whole thing... Clicked on submit.. Gave me an error a couple of times so I went back to check all answers, then out of NOWHERE the piece of S*#T website crashes, and good bye ALL my info... Then I read that we all have until the 23rd to fill it out! ... NOT HAPPY!

The stupid thing about the census, is that the first I heard about it was 2 weeks ago. Surely they could have got their sh1t together and started the mail out and public information campaign about 4 weeks earlier and then we wouldn't be having all the issues with people not being able to get through to their call centre.

This is the sort of ineptitude that will keep Australia from getting online voting anytime soon.

I did read somewhere we are ranked 59th in the world for internet speed, oh and the nbn rollout will go approx 39 bill over budget. Im sorry but the goverment shits me, in it for themselves.

Internet speed and lack of NBN may have a little to do with it, but I really think it's more to do with servers not being able to handle the load/connections in this instance - and if all of Australian had NBN it wouldn't make any difference if the server isn't expecting this number of connections. I'm sure a spokesperson for the ABS said on the radio the other day that they had the capabilities of about 10 times the expected demand for tonight which is why I suspect it could possibly a DOS attack by a group just to make a point.

Either way, the ABS is gonna cop it in the media tomorrow :D

What Census ????

I think i lost my envelope oops

Someone on the radio today said they threw the envelope away because it was addressed to "The householder" and they assumed it was junk mail :lol

Website is back up at least for the moment, but you get a message when you try to complete the census saying the system is too busy and to try again in 15 minutes. That's better than an internet error I guess.

I'm sure a spokesperson for the ABS said on the radio the other day that they had the capabilities of about 10 times the expected demand for tonight which is why I suspect it could possibly a DOS attack by a group just to make a point.

Either way, the ABS is gonna cop it in the media tomorrow :D

Not a DOS attack, it's just the Chinese and Russians stealing all our info.

:)

PS. Everyone remember to list their religion as Jedi.

Mum was getting anxious about it and she thought she saw on the news that people were doing it early. I thought surely not, but I'll get her over and humour her. Waddaya know, it worked!

We did it last THURSDAY :cool:

Edit: Not feeling so smug now. If the aBS was hacked, then info was there ready for them, while people who couldn't log in may end up putting in their info after security flaws are fixed. Next time paper form only for me...

Edited by danny_galaga

What happened to the good old fashioned way, I just opened up the envelope grabbed a pen took all of ten minutes to fill out then popped it into the envelope supplied and dropped it into the post box on the way to work this morning.

All done and over with " I thought computers were supposed to make life easier" ? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NBN or not it was STUPID to expect any server to handle the traffic of an entire Country.

Just shows how naive our Government really is.

Government is trying to claim it was a DDOS attack. Regardless, why they tried to tell everyone to do it when you have until September, makes no sense to me.

• Administrators
What happened to the good old fashioned way, I just opened up the envelope grabbed a pen took all of ten minutes to fill out then popped it into the envelope supplied and dropped it into the post box on the way to work this morning.

All done and over with " I thought computers were supposed to make life easier" ? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets face it the only reason for going to electronic is to save money....but we'll end up paying for it in the end.

A lot of companies are charging for paper bills etc now in an effort to get people to go the e-bill route...wonder how long before they charge us for that privilege too.

Government is trying to claim it was a DDOS attack. Regardless, why they tried to tell everyone to do it when you have until September, makes no sense to me.

Yeah I don't see why everybody has to do it at the same time anyway, its stupid.

Using the digital attack map, there was no signs of any ddos attacks in Australia......

So far they claim the first 3 ddos attacks were apparently minor, but the supposed 4th major attack at around 7:30 last night "highlighted a security gap" and they actually shut down the servers themselves... to me that sounds like the data had been compromised, so I just wonder how much data was stolen before they shut down their servers...

Was this run by Telstra :unsure, seems like their faulty service style.

Do the questions actually give away personal information that is helpful to hackers ?

It appears as though it was a DoS attack, though they reckon there was a slight security hole identified which is why they chose to shut down the service last night. Thinking about the questions that were asked, I'm not entirely worried if someone did see my responses - NFI what they'd do with that information. It's all available on other government websites should they wish to really hack a government website.

It appears as though it was a DoS attack, though they reckon there was a slight security hole identified which is why they chose to shut down the service last night. Thinking about the questions that were asked, I'm not entirely worried if someone did see my responses - NFI what they'd do with that information. It's all available on other government websites should they wish to really hack a government website.

You need to think of the bigger picture. They are firstly setting a precedent of invading privacy by asking you to give your name etc and then they have potentially dropped the ball with security in regards to that information. It's not at all about the data itself, as you said it's pretty useless.

This may just be the start of removing our right to privacy. People can say I have a tin foil hat but other countries that have impacted on peoples right to privacy or started to censor information started in the same fashion.

They shouldn't have the right to hold and be responsible for the security of any personal information, that should be up to individual to give that trust out.

Hope this comment doesn't start a shit storm but fear it probably will

No shit storm from me. But if they really want useful data, they'd be better off hacking a bank or the ATO. I understand what you are saying.

I think in this instance, the constant boasting by the ABS that your data is secure, and we can handle the load was to hackers as is waving a red cape in front of an angry bull. Telling people your site is secure and bullet proof is just an invitation to these twats who call themselves hackers.