Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Turn Old TV's into Arcade Monitors

Jomac

Hey all, my flyback decided to go up in flames yesterday (exciting stuff) so I'll be contacting jomac for a new chassis, anyhow so I decided to pull out the original tube (Samsung 21") from my galaxy lowboy which has burn in and I have had an old TV sitting around which is also a Samsung 21" in good nick. I went to put it in and the mounting points don't match up and the back of the tube a bit bulkier and won't sit in the cab so I'm wondering if I should cut out the body to make room for the fatter tube. The main difference between the two tube is the newer one has a glass cylinder on the yolk and the old one doesn't, will this matter? Both are 9 pin and one pin in the triangle piece so a total of 10 pins. Idea thinking that being the same brand and same size it would drop straight in. Basically it should be a suitable replacement if I get a universal chassis from jomac?

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...
Just picked up a panasonic tc-29v26a 68cm off the gutter

anyone tried one of these before? **** me swinging it was heavy

Used heaps of Panasonic tubes Brodie, no good if it's pure flat version though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a 29" tube that I might be able to use, possibly a VERY tight squeeze in my cab (I really want a 25")

It is a Samsung Flat (I have read that Flat is not usable, but opened it up anyway)

I have attempted to measure the settings from the yoke without much luck.

TV has not been turned on in years

Discharge did not seem to arc at all

Measurement between Horizontal was 0

Measurement between Vertical was 0

It has 10 Pins

I must be doing something wrong.

tv_barcode.jpg.539a5e7cc6c493b131256183494dc30c.jpgIMG_20151113_205303.jpg.1efc3ffc954dd6cc59b3997a53e702c8.jpgIMG_20151113_205312.jpg.c1e9becd8195a5bb83ac56caf8abbdcf.jpg

any ideas?

I just took the board off the back of the tube (to expose the number of pins).

- - - Updated - - -

3.2 and 9.3 (10 Pin)

You are NOT measuring the pins on the neck you are measuring the yoke windings - the coils around the base of the tube that almost always have 4 wires coming from it - red, blue, green and yellow

OK, I have unplugged the yoke from the chassis.

Measuring where the Red/Blue and Green/Yellow wires are soldered to the board near the yoke: 2.5 and 8.7

Measuring at the plug that was attached to the chassis: 2.5 (Red/Blue) and 8.7 (Green/Yellow)

Measuring this morning seems to have given a different result to last night!? (WTF)

Also my cheap multimeter set to 200 seems to measure 1.3 when I just connect the two probe pins together, would this impact on the reading?

I could not find the reason that 68cm Flat are not useful, does anyone know why?

OK, I have unplugged the yoke from the chassis.

Measuring where the Red/Blue and Green/Yellow wires are soldered to the board near the yoke: 2.5 and 8.7

Measuring at the plug that was attached to the chassis: 2.5 (Red/Blue) and 8.7 (Green/Yellow)

Measuring this morning seems to have given a different result to last night!? (WTF)

Also my cheap multimeter set to 200 seems to measure 1.3 when I just connect the two probe pins together, would this impact on the reading?

I could not find the reason that 68cm Flat are not useful, does anyone know why?

If the TV as a whole works, you can use it. (Using an AV Card) The TVs Chassis is compatible to that tube and yoke of course.

Jomac may explain why the universal chassis's available are not compat

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Jomac,

I have a new candidate tube ($10 on Gumtree)

Panasonic: (Model=TC-25V50H, Tube=A60KTY095X)

10pin

Horizontal (Red+Blue) = 2.5

Vertical (Yellow+Grey) = 9.5

Are you able to supply a chassis?

Answered via phone call .

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

Just want to thank Jomac for starting this thread and all who have contributed, as the info I've found here is extremely helpful and exactly what I've been searching for!!

I'm fairly new to the arcade building world and only have about a zillion questions, so I'll try to keep it short....

Firstly, I have already built an upright cabinet (running PC/MAME) which was a heap of fun to build (and play). For the display, I used a 21" CRT PC monitor as it was the easiest solution at time of build, but would like to eventually replace, or for my next build use an old school 15k CRT TV.

So I started to research using old TV's as arcade monitors and hence ended up here. I found myself a Sony Trinitron KVBM21 which is in good nik, displays a nice picture and thought this would be a good display to convert/use for an arcade cab, but was shot down when I read in this thread that sony are not good for arcade use as they use different yoke / neckboard / connections, etc - Jomac, I know you've already mentioned this but can you confirm that I'm wasting my time with this sony CRT, so i can stop torturing myself trying to find out how to turn this CRT into an arcade display?

I also have acquired an old Rank Arena TV (the one with the lovely wood grain case, sits on a chrome stand with 4 casters, built in rabbit ears and is pre av inputs - RF antenna input only) which sports an NEC tube. It measures 19" which is a bit smaller than I wanted - but hey, roadside beggars cant be choosers right!

So I'm hoping that this tube may be able to used with one of your arcade chassis - I can send you pics of the yoke etc, but I'm not sure about the readings you need. I don't know if this will be an issue, but there is a sticker on the tube stating that the yoke is permanently bonded to the tube and not to remove it.

Thanks again for all the info!

Mac.

If the Sony TV has S-Video input you could use the S-video out on a video card for running MAME. Not as good as as arcade setup but at least it would use the TV. Maybe just use it for console games as it might to be too big anyway at 21 inches.

As for the RA TV it should be a good, check with Joey info here on neck pins and measuring the yoke (no need to remove the yoke- just unplug the connector on the chassis)

http://www.jomac.net.au/products/chassis-new/

a lot of these discussions revolve around 15K monitors

What about 29" 31K monitors? Is there a chassis available for a monitor in a Naomi universal cabinet?

say a Nanao or Toshiba 29" 31K?

could i get say a Panasonic 68cm tv to work in that cabinet?

The CRT's ive seen only have s-video or scart inputs, so i just wonder how would that work when the cabinet uses VGA cable?

What about 29" 31K monitors? Is there a chassis available for a monitor in a Naomi universal cabinet?

say a Nanao or Toshiba 29" 31K?

could i get say a Panasonic 68cm tv to work in that cabinet?

The CRT's ive seen only have s-video or scart inputs, so i just wonder how would that work when the cabinet uses VGA cable?

Jomac has at least one model of universal chassis that can do medium res on 68cm tv tubes. But high res is not within the tubes capabilities I think.

Doing a resolution is a combination of both the tube and chassis capabilities. The tubes guns have to be able to operate accurately at the required speeds (higher resolutions are faster), and the extra individual pixels/rows need to be usable. Very few CRTs had VGA/PC support, typically suggesting a lack of support/capabilities.

Sony trinitrons might have been an exception there, but the universals don't support those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is because arcade resolutions were prominently 15K with the occasional 25K game , 31K was used very rarely with the exception of Naomi and only a couple of others until games went PC based much later.

The main reason people want 31K now is so they can use multigames in there cab which ironically are 15K games up-scaled to 31K to work on PC monitors and LCD's.

All MAME games and multi games are 15K so up-scaling them on hybrid hardware really defeats the purpose and authenticity of arcade games.

Keeping the above in mind 99% of people want 15K monitors to play authentic 15K games hence why this thread was started and why we went to so much trouble to have chassis made to suit TV CRT's that were basically throw away items.

The TV's you have seen with S-Video / scart , comp are made this way because that is all they support , if they did support 31K VGA they would have a VGA input, they simply are not designed for VGA or higher use.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...