Thread: Turn Old TV's into Arcade Monitors

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello all,
    Just want to thank Jomac for starting this thread and all who have contributed, as the info I've found here is extremely helpful and exactly what I've been searching for!!

I'm fairly new to the arcade building world and only have about a zillion questions, so I'll try to keep it short....

Firstly, I have already built an upright cabinet (running PC/MAME) which was a heap of fun to build (and play). For the display, I used a 21" CRT PC monitor as it was the easiest solution at time of build, but would like to eventually replace, or for my next build use an old school 15k CRT TV.

So I started to research using old TV's as arcade monitors and hence ended up here. I found myself a Sony Trinitron KVBM21 which is in good nik, displays a nice picture and thought this would be a good display to convert/use for an arcade cab, but was shot down when I read in this thread that sony are not good for arcade use as they use different yoke / neckboard / connections, etc - Jomac, I know you've already mentioned this but can you confirm that I'm wasting my time with this sony CRT, so i can stop torturing myself trying to find out how to turn this CRT into an arcade display?

I also have acquired an old Rank Arena TV (the one with the lovely wood grain case, sits on a chrome stand with 4 casters, built in rabbit ears and is pre av inputs - RF antenna input only) which sports an NEC tube. It measures 19" which is a bit smaller than I wanted - but hey, roadside beggars cant be choosers right!
    So I'm hoping that this tube may be able to used with one of your arcade chassis - I can send you pics of the yoke etc, but I'm not sure about the readings you need. I don't know if this will be an issue, but there is a sticker on the tube stating that the yoke is permanently bonded to the tube and not to remove it.

Thanks again for all the info!

Mac.

State
    Redlands QLD
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    If the Sony TV has S-Video input you could use the S-video out on a video card for running MAME. Not as good as as arcade setup but at least it would use the TV. Maybe just use it for console games as it might to be too big anyway at 21 inches.
    As for the RA TV it should be a good, check with Joey info here on neck pins and measuring the yoke (no need to remove the yoke- just unplug the connector on the chassis)
    http://www.jomac.net.au/products/chassis-new/

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    a lot of these discussions revolve around 15K monitors

What about 29" 31K monitors? Is there a chassis available for a monitor in a Naomi universal cabinet?

say a Nanao or Toshiba 29" 31K?

could i get say a Panasonic 68cm tv to work in that cabinet?

The CRT's ive seen only have s-video or scart inputs, so i just wonder how would that work when the cabinet uses VGA cable?

State
    Newcastle, NSW
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    350 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garryi View Post

What about 29" 31K monitors? Is there a chassis available for a monitor in a Naomi universal cabinet?

say a Nanao or Toshiba 29" 31K?

could i get say a Panasonic 68cm tv to work in that cabinet?

The CRT's ive seen only have s-video or scart inputs, so i just wonder how would that work when the cabinet uses VGA cable?
    Jomac has at least one model of universal chassis that can do medium res on 68cm tv tubes. But high res is not within the tubes capabilities I think.

Doing a resolution is a combination of both the tube and chassis capabilities. The tubes guns have to be able to operate accurately at the required speeds (higher resolutions are faster), and the extra individual pixels/rows need to be usable. Very few CRTs had VGA/PC support, typically suggesting a lack of support/capabilities.

Sony trinitrons might have been an exception there, but the universals don't support those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fry: "Wait a second. I know that monkey! His name is 'Donkey'."
    Professor: "Monkeys aren't donkeys. Quit messing with my head!"

State
    Perth WA
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garryi View Post
    That is because arcade resolutions were prominently 15K with the occasional 25K game , 31K was used very rarely with the exception of Naomi and only a couple of others until games went PC based much later.
    The main reason people want 31K now is so they can use multigames in there cab which ironically are 15K games up-scaled to 31K to work on PC monitors and LCD's.
    All MAME games and multi games are 15K so up-scaling them on hybrid hardware really defeats the purpose and authenticity of arcade games.
    Keeping the above in mind 99% of people want 15K monitors to play authentic 15K games hence why this thread was started and why we went to so much trouble to have chassis made to suit TV CRT's that were basically throw away items.

The TV's you have seen with S-Video / scart , comp are made this way because that is all they support , if they did support 31K VGA they would have a VGA input, they simply are not designed for VGA or higher use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    All i really want to know it what 68cm tube is gonna fit the curvature of my sega astro city bezel ? If anyone knows of a good model donor, shout out plz.

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I recently bought an OK Baby cab, but the monitor is a bit small.

My plan is to replace it with a donor CRT of 28" or 29".

Any advice welcomed.

thumbnail_image3.jpg
    thumbnail_image1.jpg

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread Information