Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Sonoff wifi remote power on device

G'day,

This is interesting.

I have stumbled across a device that you put in line with your AC which effectively becomes a relay that you control from an app. You can use it for lights, fans, hot water service, chargers or whatever runs on 10amp 90~240VAC. Pretty neat I thought so I bought four given they were only US$4 (A$30 landed for all of them. They are small and easy to use. I decided to try them out on my Moon Cresta and if that worked OK then run all my cabs on them.

It turned out great [emoji106] and if I leave them on I can set a timer to switch them down if I forget.

Thats it screwed to the wall..

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161117/6411a46c4313642d28e7145604a50b1d.jpgthis is one of the pages in the apphttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161117/8cbd6201c0e2a54aea088585dee22fa7.jpg

One button on your phone and its game on...

Jimmy D

So just to be clear, the machine is left on at the wall?

The 240 v0lt is wired to this before the power supply?

Cheers

Machine is left on at the wall, wire in the device as soon as the AC cord is inside the cab and you can still turn the game off at the wall or leave the wifi running and switch off on the cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

These reviews had me intrigued?

So you have to contact their servers to run the app?

Luis Abreu • 3 months ago

Hello

Why do you oblige me to create an account on your servers in order to control an equipment that is hosted in my own house???

Shouldn't it be simpler? I do believe that instead of connecting to your servers and then your servers connect to my equipment hosted in house, it should be simpler to do it directly...

What is my advantage in giving you my house public IP, and let you know all what I'm doing with my appliances???

It makes no sense at all...

You will know almost everything about my habits, and you will have a direct connection to my home...

Share ›

Nice Otherman Luis Abreu • 2 months ago

Same thoughts here, I was just wonder what if my internet connection goes off ? How will I be able to control my devices even though I have the local wifi connection within my home. Isn't it possible that the Mobile and the Sonoff which are on the same network should basically be able to talk to each other? without going out all the way to the server and back?

Alternatively can you please develop an app by which we can connect local with the sonoff. Please consider the scenario of when my internet connection is no longer available and I am required to controller my devices from my mobile.

Thanks

Yes...

Which allows for remote switching.

I could not give a hoot if someone from around the world gets my IP or learns that I switch on my Pole Position at around 8pm every night. If I did I would never have downloaded a ROM image. I do however give one if I am at work wondering if I left on my CRTs risking further burn in.

:)

if I am at work wondering if I left on my CRTs risking further burn in.

:)

.............or worse.............chassis catching fire and burning the house down!!!

Not being alarmist, it is a very real risk with older CRT stuff as many of them used Phenolic PCBs (basically compressed cardboard and resin) and this chars easily and catches fire.

.............or worse.............chassis catching fire and burning the house down!!!

Not being alarmist, it is a very real risk with older CRT stuff as many of them used Phenolic PCBs (basically compressed cardboard and resin) and this chars easily and catches fire.

Indeed!!

Can the app interface be customised? It would be great if a marquee image could be used for the game titles ;)

Just text at this stage. Thats the only input you have when naming the location of a sonoff. I tried to paste in a marquee image, alas no luck there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

• 1 year later...
I love these devices for controlling power to my cabs. I bought another 10 of them.

I also bought a touch light switch that replaces the existing light switch. It also operates on WIFI and is switchable from your smart phone. $10!

Cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Some of these auto and sonoff light switches require a neutral at the switch. Older houses dont usually have a neutral at the switch so beware. Anything built 2000ish onwards it should be fine. Otherwise an extra wire may need to be ran from light to the switch which isnt difficult unless you have a solid brick house and the switch is on an Internal wall

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Wow this is really cool. It looks like you can also flash the firmware to get rid of the possible chinese spyware.

You can then use MQTT to turn on and off the device.

Sonoff Tasmota is the way to go.

Really powerful, loads of functionality baked in and the developer is very active.

With a basic sonoff device, you are limited to what you can do, but on top of switching using MQTT can pull info like wifi strength, IP, 3v voltage level.

You can wire up one or two external switches or sensors for temperature and humidity, motion, IR send and receive.

Where it really gets interesting ( for low voltage applications ) is if you use something like a D1 mini with the firmware and a few sensors and relays. Sky is the limit.

They are so solid and reliable I have been replacing all my non mains z-wave controlled devices with them.

Hopefully not hijacking the thread but fyi for those of you that think this is a great idea but have zero idea how to set this up, Bunnings have an alternative way of turning on/off your cabs with an Arlec remote. They're not as cheap as this but they do the job and even I was able to set it up without blowing anything up :).

1 pack

https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-remote-controlled-power-outlet_p4331763

3 pack (not sure why it's a 3 pack when the remote controls up to 4 devices :unsure)

https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-remote-controlled-power-outlets-3-pack_p4331764

Again, sorry if this is a hijack.