Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

DMD drops out consistently during gameplay, then returns

robm

Question

Have a workmate with a Fishtales with an intriguing problem. I recently had the Fishtales in my comp, and it ran for 8 hours straight without a drama.

He told me the display was blanking out and not working, so i went and had a look and put a new DMD driver in since the one in there had no 60V.

With new DMD driver, all DMD voltages are good and display is sharp and bright, however:

Upon power on, it says testing, then once testing is complete, the screen goes blank for 5 seconds, then comes up normally in free play.

Start a game, everything is good, until you lock a ball - screen goes blank (all sounds play), until after ball is locked. Also, EVERY time you catch a fish (ie: hit the 4th standup) the screen blanks out for a few seconds. Also, during multiball, it stayed blank (except when you light the LIE for a bonus - that animation appears) until multiball was over. It appears to me, that the display freezes at specific sound grabs rather than specific switches or coils firing - is this possible?

I am doubtful it is a DMD driver RAM issue, since i used a tested working board in it.

I have reseated ALL ribbon cables, as well as pushed firmly on game ROM and ASIC chips.

I removed the sound board connections.

It is still showing the above symptoms. My next step was going to swap MPU boards and/or game ROMs - does anyone have any other suggestions or had a similar experience?

2 answers to this question

I had something similar a few months back & to add to the confusion the RAM would come up good then bad then good! Anyway after a lot of F%$king around I found the fault on the CPU input power plugs. So try cleaning them & reseat to see if the problem goes away.

Had a similar issue a month or so ago on HS2 it was as above connectors on the ribbon cable to the DMD, bit of steelo on the pins and squashed the ribbon with flat nosed pliers all good again.