Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

New project pin day - Williams Firepower.

I saw a Williams Firepower appear on Gumtree this arvo at the Gold Coast. Chatted to the guy on the phone and asked to come down to have a look.

It's a bit of a project, would boot to GI and random beeps that would change with each boot. Some acid damage from battery leakage on the boards. Spoke to the pinball gurus and they assured me it was nothing that couldn't be fixed. The playfield is fully mylared, and is in pretty decent shape aside from some lifting inserts that have bubbled the mylar. Backglass is nice, bit of wear, but nothing terrible and good colours all around.

Picked it up for a complete steal, almost half the asking price, so I was pretty damn happy. I have also now answered a burning question I have been asking myself for a while. Can an SS era pin fit in the back of a Mazda 323 hatchback. The answer is a resounding yes :) Removed the backbox, put down the seats and it slid in with 10cm or so to spare.

Now, to get onto @raysco and @zanderzone to help me fix the bloody thing ;)

P1020414.thumb.jpg.9c17d99414de6cb07e8895024733b260.jpgP1020415.thumb.jpg.f74decf2e9951a91b4f8805c5681d8d5.jpgP1020429.thumb.jpg.18df4ad812d86afb3176c1db3c39b03e.jpg

Edited by namastepat

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check :) Hopefully the plan will be to not bust anything. If I do, I'll blame Ray. It's likely going to sit for a while, as it's well out of my abilities. I'll do some small scale tinkering on the weekend and see what I can make it do. Will be my first ever project, looking forward to it.

I'll get Ray over when he has the free time to do some tinkering and then see what I need. I know for a fact that I'm going to need a solenoid bracket, as one of them is broken and the solenoid is hanging free in the cab. Will be interesting to see if the acid damage is repairable on the board of if a new one will be needed.

Check :) Hopefully the plan will be to not bust anything. If I do, I'll blame Ray. It's likely going to sit for a while, as it's well out of my abilities. I'll do some small scale tinkering on the weekend and see what I can make it do. Will be my first ever project, looking forward to it.

I had a feeling you meant 'our' project :o

I'll get Ray over when he has the free time to do some tinkering and then see what I need. I know for a fact that I'm going to need a solenoid bracket, as one of them is broken and the solenoid is hanging free in the cab. Will be interesting to see if the acid damage is repairable on the board of if a new one will be needed.

Send me a pic of which solenoid bracket you need

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Probably not far off. I have spare boards also depending what yours is and how bad it is.

Awesome. Raysco is dropping around on the weekend to check out the boards and see if he can get the machine booting. Such a bugger I found this on the last bloody day of my holidays :realmad:

Nice pickup. The PF looks great with none of the usual wear near the slings. BG looks tidy as well. I've got the odd plastic spare as well if you need help. Great game and its my only Williams in my Bally Alley SS line.

@JPD The playfield looks great in the photos, but the lifted inserts and bubbled mylar don't show up in the photo, it's not quite as good as it seems. If we manage to get it up and running and playing well, I am going to need to look into mylar removal and insert levelling. I will definitely need one plastic, the very top, far left plastic that goes up the side of the playfield and then follows the left lane up to the FIRE lights is cracked and missing a section. So, if you have that particular plastic, I'd be keen to chat about it.

@JPD The playfield looks great in the photos, but the lifted inserts and bubbled mylar don't show up in the photo, it's not quite as good as it seems. If we manage to get it up and running and playing well, I am going to need to look into mylar removal and insert levelling. I will definitely need one plastic, the very top, far left plastic that goes up the side of the playfield and then follows the left lane up to the FIRE lights is cracked and missing a section. So, if you have that particular plastic, I'd be keen to chat about it.
I'll have a rummage through the bomb site that's named Jeff's room tonight and see what I can find.

Found them and it's used full set but with one broken one and I bet it's the one you want:(. See pic below.

P1050815.thumb.jpg.6b0c4aa5829b822d2b8e74e5c6bfe076.jpg

Found them and it's used full set but with one broken one and I bet it's the one you want:(. See pic below.

Same one, broken at basically exactly the same place. Dammit! Thanks for looking though. I may still need other ones, I'll do a full inspection this weekend and let you know.

I think I know why this one breaks. I reckon the plastic gets caught/jagged on the back of the cab when lifted instead of sliding the pf a touch forward before lifting. let me know if you need others as some I have doubles - all used though.

Inside the machine, there was a massive bunch of schematics. A lot for Black Knight, some for Flash and some for Firepower. Most of them are all loose sheets, hand written notes all over them. Some are original, some are photocopied. In amongst the giant pile I found an original Williams SS manual, a small original Firepower manual and an official looking envelope. Inside the envelope was all of the original score sheets + a spare instruction card. Cool! :) There was even an original envelope for mylar protectors. Sadly, no original protectors inside.

P1020432.thumb.jpg.985c7401fdff06162a30b8e11c49a63d.jpg

Edited by namastepat