Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Apple II Platinum International NTSC 50 to 60HTZ

That's interesting. Great that you got the other board working.

I socketed my IOU a couple of days ago and all was working fine whilst playing The Goonies until the machine totally locked up this evening.

Appears the onboard RAM has shat itself. Power is good at 4.97v, so I'll have to order some new RAM chips as well.

Edit: I realise I have a pair of 4464s on hand that I used to have in my 600xl, it currently has the Antonia board so I can go ahead and install the ram in the Apple IIe.

The Built in self test should confirm if it's a RAM issue.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another 4 to repair after this one.

I have working 4264 Micron pulls. If you need any spares for troubleshooting let me know but I wouldn’t recommend using them indefinitely.

The Built in self test should confirm if it's a RAM issue.

The built in self test is very good. I used it exclusively in the past for evaluating 4464 DRAMs before writing my own Atari 8 bit memory diagnostic tool and now I use the 65xe exclusively for testing 4 bit ram chips. So I socketed the board and swapped out the DRAMs this morning and I’m back up and running again. I believe I may have introduced static when I was working on the machine. Gotta be more careful next time!

So I received the PCB yesterday and swapped over the IOU and have colour. The colours are so vibrant and alive on my pvm.

Thankfully the IOU is working but the replacement non tested board ( Apple IIe non enhanced ) it came from has some bad 4164s which I'll get around to fixing later, some of the original Microns have been replaced already so that's a good clue.

Not sure what final conclusions to draw from this other than most monitors being super picky about video as already mentioned. But if swapping the crystal doesn't give you colour then it's worth swapping the IOU over as well.

IMG-0162.thumb.jpg.965010c2a69a6449acb981faa090e137.jpg

IMG-0161.thumb.jpg.9bfae62dd9e8d9aa14cc8baa459e93a0.jpg

IMG-0163.thumb.jpg.230a336a7960362c1cf9e3c0bb1d42f0.jpg

Edited by palindrome

• Administrators
So I received the PCB yesterday and swapped over the IOU and have colour. The colours are so vibrant and alive on my pvm.

Thankfully the IOU is working but the replacement non tested board ( Apple IIe non enhanced ) it came from has some bad 4164s which I'll get around to fixing later, some of the original Microns have been replaced already so that's a good clue.

Not sure what final conclusions to draw from this other than most monitors being super picky about video as already mentioned. But if swapping the crystal doesn't give you colour then it's worth swapping the IOU over as well.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=152227

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=152226

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=152228

Good work mate.

There is a good possibility the IUO may have been faulty too considering all the trouble you had.

Open to that possibility. But in hindsight I did have the exact same issue with my previous IIe enhanced as well.

In fact I do on some occasions get an IOU error "IOU FLAG ES: 1" but most likely this is normal behaviour after running programs and trying to run the self-test.

If you have been running a program, some soft switches might be on when

you run the self-test. If this happens, the self-test will display a message

such as

IOU FLAG ES: 1

Turn the power off for several seconds, then turn it back on and run the

self-test again. If it still fails, there is really something wrong; to get it

corrected, contact your authorized Apple dealer for service.

I found 4 bad DRAMs this afternoon and replaced them with the pulls I had lying around. It's nice to have a second working board ready to go if I need it.

• 1 month later...