Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Apple II Platinum NTSC 50 to NTSC 60HTZ

State
    Sunshine Coast
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Is there a test program or image on the Apple 2 range that simulates/displays a standardized color bar pattern, that I can run from a floppy?
    The reason I ask is I want to make a few measurements to glean some more info re. what is actually put out of the composite jack on my P.A.L. 2e.

State
    Wolli Creek, NSW
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    You could type in a short basic program using plot.

Havenít tested it but it should work. Should print a horizontal line across the screen in all 16 colours.

10 GR
    20 FOR I=0 TO 15
    30 PLOT I,0
    40 PLOT I,1
    50 COLOR=I
    60 NEXT I

State
    Redlands
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1981 Post(s)

IMG_20190814_144552.jpg
    I had a look at my faulty spare mobo thats giving me jailbars afternoon so I pulled the good mobo out and the PSU. I had already socketed the ram which made no difference and a LS244 I suspected also no difference. (One of the address lines was being pulled down.)
    Turned out to be the CF Rom next to the CPU! pretty annoying because when this fault happened a few months back I swapped out all of the socketed chips from the working board...must have missed this one, so relieved though.
    now they are working I could do some more testing.
    IMG_20190814_150019.jpg IMG_20190814_145221.jpg

Check this out, both mother boards working in colour on this crappy 10" Eyoyo LCD! wtf. (No keyboard attached hence the rug test pattern.)
    The one with the 14.31818MHz crystal only gives black and white on the NTSC 50 htz A2M6021x monitor (was expected) and both black and white on my Panasonic TV.
    Last edited by Arcade King; 1 Week Ago at 07:51 AM.

State
    Wolli Creek, NSW
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    That's interesting. Great that you got the other board working.

I socketed my IOU a couple of days ago and all was working fine whilst playing The Goonies until the machine totally locked up this evening.

Appears the onboard RAM has shat itself. Power is good at 4.97v, so I'll have to order some new RAM chips as well.

Edit: I realise I have a pair of 4464s on hand that I used to have in my 600xl, it currently has the Antonia board so I can go ahead and install the ram in the Apple IIe.
    Last edited by palindrome; 1 Week Ago at 01:10 AM.

State
    Sunshine Coast
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    finally been having a look into some faulty 2e's. (both pal versions)
    The first one had a faulty ram chip and faulty LS374. As far as replacement ram it threw me a bit as I have a drawer of over 100 Drams from the 80's.
    Didn't have any 4264's or 4164's though. Ended up using 41256's which is fine but a few of the one's I tried were faulty which was where confusion came in...
    Persistence won though, so used the chance to test all the other ram chips in the tray.

The other one I am working on so far has had a faulty CD-rom (yeah I laughed at this one too, the first computer using a CDrom?), faulty Video rom, had a 6503 processor installed which was causing grief. Have identified a faulty ram chi which I will replace and see what's happening.
    No image on monitor, have sync and address/data lines are swinging between rails o.k.
    oh yeah, had a short on the -12V line too... been through the wars this poor old board.

another 4 to repair after this one.

State
    victoria
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    That's interesting. Great that you got the other board working.

I socketed my IOU a couple of days ago and all was working fine whilst playing The Goonies until the machine totally locked up this evening.

Appears the onboard RAM has shat itself. Power is good at 4.97v, so I'll have to order some new RAM chips as well.

Edit: I realise I have a pair of 4464s on hand that I used to have in my 600xl, it currently has the Antonia board so I can go ahead and install the ram in the Apple IIe.

The Built in self test should confirm if it's a RAM issue.

State
    Wolli Creek, NSW
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pocketmoney View Post
    another 4 to repair after this one.
    I have working 4264 Micron pulls. If you need any spares for troubleshooting let me know but I wouldn’t recommend using them indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by d.c View Post
    The Built in self test should confirm if it's a RAM issue.
    The built in self test is very good. I used it exclusively in the past for evaluating 4464 DRAMs before writing my own Atari 8 bit memory diagnostic tool and now I use the 65xe exclusively for testing 4 bit ram chips. So I socketed the board and swapped out the DRAMs this morning and I’m back up and running again. I believe I may have introduced static when I was working on the machine. Gotta be more careful next time!

State
    Wolli Creek, NSW
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    So I received the PCB yesterday and swapped over the IOU and have colour. The colours are so vibrant and alive on my pvm.

Thankfully the IOU is working but the replacement non tested board ( Apple IIe non enhanced ) it came from has some bad 4164s which I'll get around to fixing later, some of the original Microns have been replaced already so that's a good clue.

Not sure what final conclusions to draw from this other than most monitors being super picky about video as already mentioned. But if swapping the crystal doesn't give you colour then it's worth swapping the IOU over as well.

IMG-0162.jpg

IMG-0161.jpg

IMG-0163.jpg
    Last edited by palindrome; 3 Days Ago at 11:47 AM.

State
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1457 Post(s)
    Most of this conversation to me is

Well done though. I love me some retro computing!

Brad

State
    Redlands
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1981 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    So I received the PCB yesterday and swapped over the IOU and have colour. The colours are so vibrant and alive on my pvm.

Thankfully the IOU is working but the replacement non tested board ( Apple IIe non enhanced ) it came from has some bad 4164s which I'll get around to fixing later, some of the original Microns have been replaced already so that's a good clue.

Not sure what final conclusions to draw from this other than most monitors being super picky about video as already mentioned. But if swapping the crystal doesn't give you colour then it's worth swapping the IOU over as well.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachm...hmentid=152227

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachm...hmentid=152226

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachm...hmentid=152228
    Good work mate.
    There is a good possibility the IUO may have been faulty too considering all the trouble you had.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information