Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Virtual Pinball Topper

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
While not a dynamic virtual topper this is what I've just finished to use on my VP cab as a topper. I'm pretrty happy with how it turned out and how easy EL wire is to play with.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]108031[/ATTACH]

Sure, nothing wrong with that at all :) ...it's a little hard to change it with every table however ;)

Sure, nothing wrong with that at all :) ...it's a little hard to change it with every table however ;)

LOL, yeah it's a bit of work to change with each table. However given it's an iconic (fictional) arcade I figure it doesn't need to change ;)

I was looking into a small projector to cast a topper onto a piece of perpsex or the wall behind. Unfortunately a bit pricey for looks

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

Soniq Australia in their online store often have projectors for $299 for members. If their projectors are anything like their TVs it could be a good buy.

This one is currently $285 + shipping (or free Melbourne pickup)

https://www.soniq.com/au/tvs/projectors/Smart-DTV-Portable-Projector-3425-detail

• 2 weeks later...

A little clarity, please.

Do the toppers appear only during PBX menu, or are these up during game play as well? Do people have it as a 4 screen setup, or do the toppers work only with a real DMD (i.e. there's only support for sending images to three monitors and a DMD). If 4 screens, I'd love a quick tutorial on how that is setup. Actually, any quick explanation for how this is accomplished. I'm sort of loving the idea of putting the DMD graphics on the "grill" of the second monitor, and using the topper for the 3rd screen.

Oh, and Rusty, any other drunken ideas you're working on before I start putting the components in my cab? I'd like to start planning now. PMD (X), Topper (X) :)

A little clarity, please.

Do the toppers appear only during PBX menu, or are these up during game play as well? Do people have it as a 4 screen setup, or do the toppers work only with a real DMD (i.e. there's only support for sending images to three monitors and a DMD). If 4 screens, I'd love a quick tutorial on how that is setup. Actually, any quick explanation for how this is accomplished. I'm sort of loving the idea of putting the DMD graphics on the "grill" of the second monitor, and using the topper for the 3rd screen.

Oh, and Rusty, any other drunken ideas you're working on before I start putting the components in my cab? I'd like to start planning now. PMD (X), Topper (X) :)

The toppers appear all the time.

The topper will work as a 3rd screen along side a real DMD, or as a 4th screen along side an LCD DMD. You just cant have DMD images/videos displaying on the LCD DMD during PBX, as the /DMD Images or /DMD Videos folder can only feed one screen at a time. I display a generic DMD image (by way of a custom Windows Desktop image) during PBX. Once a table is started, then the DMD operates as normal (because it is then fed from VP/vpinmame) and the topper continues to display.

Tom at PBX is looking to add /Topper Images and /Topper Videos to PBX so that we can use both topper and DMD images/videos at the same time.

...as for instructions, it really is as simple as putting images/videos in PBX's /DMD Images and /DMD Videos folders and in PBX setting the DMD screen settings to suit the topper screen.

No more drunken ideas at the moment, Toppers, PMD and PMDLEDs are it for now. ;)

Super cool. One more question, sorry if I missed it somewhere: is there a standard aspect ratio for the toppers? Looks about like 1024x300 or 1920x550 or so.

Starting to dream up ideas ... like something like this for Getaway HSII:

We didn't have a standard to start, but a few of us are using 1920x760 and I personally would like to see that adopted, as I feel it's a nice ratio that allows for both wide and not so wide topper images to be displayed at a decent size.

Bertie is using a bit less than 760 I think, as that's just how he mounted the topper.

Yeah, I'm thinking $80 is too much for looks from aliexpress, plus to work hidden needs to be one of those low angle ones.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

i've been looking for a pico projector or mini-projector for another projeKt, have seen a few around the $50 mark that can work off phones, pc, pretty much any device. Ebay for pico projectors

Got it working in PBX, but no carry forward to VPX or VP9. Is there a setting I'm missing in VP to allow the 4th screen?

Running all 4 screens off a GTX1060.

Thanks.

No, it's all controlled by PBX. Go into PBX Game Manager and make sure that Hide Topper is not selected for each table.