Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Gottlieb System 3 Freddy Fuse Issues

delarge

Question

Hi all,

I've been fixing a Gottlieb System 3 Freddy locally and the left flipper fuse keeps blowing. Wires were loose on the left flipper coil and I re-soldered them on tight. The wiring on the yellow flipper switch capacitor was also loose. I replaced the blown fuse, powered the game on and when I played the next game, the flipper was sluggish and the fuse would blow.

I decided to completely replace the flipper coil (brand new diode attached) and the flipper switch with brand new yellow capacitor attached. The game worked again and flipper was strong. A few days later after a game or two, the flipper fuse blew once again.

Can someone please help with a possible area to focus on now?

- is it possible I fried the diode on the coil when soldering the wires on the new coil?

- could board issues be a possibility? E.g mosfets that control flippers or Q relay in bottom of cabinet.

Cheers!

Adam.

Edited by delarge

11 answers to this question

Hi all,

I've been fixing a Gottlieb System 3 Freddy locally and the left flipper fuse keeps blowing. Wires were loose on the left flipper coil and I re-soldered them on tight. The wiring on the yellow flipper switch capacitor was also loose. I replaced the blown fuse, powered the game on and when I played the next game, the flipper was sluggish and the fuse would blow.

I decided to completely replace the flipper coil (brand new diode attached) and the flipper switch with brand new yellow capacitor attached. The game worked again and flipper was strong. A few days later after a game or two, the flipper fuse blew once again.

Can someone please help with a possible area to focus on now?

- is it possible I fried the diode on the coil when soldering the wires on the new coil?

- could board issues be a possibility? E.g mosfets that control flippers or Q relay in bottom of cabinet.

Cheers!

Adam.

Mis-adjusted EOS?

I thought that originally. The owner said the solenoid plate had fallen out a few times, they got brand new screws and screwed it in properly. I thought maybe the switch may have been bent when they re-installed it all. After putting a brand new flipper switch in, I didn't think any adjustment would be necessary. Will double check that next time I'm looking at it.

I think i had exactly the same issue. I'm scratching my poor memory but it was either an out of adjustment eos or a screw from the eos shorting in the coil windings

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Edit: machine is now at my place in the workshop.

After re-soldering wires back onto the coil to make sure everything was secure, I wasted another fuse.

Always the simple thing staring you right in the face. I had replaced the EOS switch, but kept telling myself "it's brand new, why would it need adjusting?" DERP!!!! The EOS switch wasn't opening far enough and still touching compared to the right flipper.

Gave Freddy a good hammering with three games and called it a night. Will keep it for another week at least and make sure nothing else breaks down and do some additional parts replacement and cleaning while it's here.

Thanks Boots and Rob for your input. Boots, should have listened to you in the first place.

Edited by delarge

Freddy's nightmare continues..

Scanning underneath the playfield, I found yellow wire coming from yellow switch capacitor on upper flipper dangling in mid air. Soldered that back on. There was also a diode which looked like it had been snipped from solenoid that controls an upkicker in Freddy's mouth. Got a new diode and soldered it on.

No Flashers were working in the game. Tested the mosfet and it turned out to be ok. Dismantled Freddy's head and put in two led flashers. These flashed ok when I turned the machine on again. Turned it off again and replaced Freddy's head. Turned machine on and Freddy's mouth started chattering and smoke started coming from beneath the playfield. Took Freddy's head off and swapped out leds for regular globes. Flashers remained on.

Mosfet Q13 was now dead that controlled the upkicker in Freddy's mouth. The fuse for the top left upkicker now keeps blowing.

I swapped out my working Freddy board and everything seemed to be ok when I turned the game back on. I went into test mode. The upkicker in Freddy's mouth works ok and the flashers in Freddy's eyes.....now my current problem. The fuse keeps blowing for the top left upkicker. Going by my past history with this game, I checked the switch first. When the ball drops in the hole it presses down a circular wire which activates the switch below the playfield. I checked the switch visually and it looks ok. Could it be the diode this time?

Thanks,

Adam.

Found the problem!

The top left upkicker and Freddy's head upkicker share the same fuse. Freddy's head upkicker coil is bad. Tested with multimeter and referenced resistance in the manual. Tested the same coil on another mech and it tested correctly.

I am glad I am not the only one having a nightmare with this machine.

I got this machine a while ago and managed to get it working, Of all things a bad iec mains socket AND voltage selector plug. But then after playing for a while, decided to replace all rubbers and lamps.

Now the whole left side does not work, as in bumpers, flippers etc.

I cannot for the life of me find where there is a difference, so have given up in protest until I get bored and need something to do!

Did you use regular globes or leds when you went through your game?

Still a nightmare on my machine. Can someone please help with some suggestions?

I still have my board in the problem game and yet to check the mosfets to see if I damaged any by putting it in problem machine. I replaced the bad coil in freddy's mouth upkicker. After installation, turned the game back on and zap, fuse blew immediately. Starting to scratch my head....

It's more than likely a shorted mosfet. Do yourself a favour and replace all mosfets labeled buz 72l with 12n10l.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I have sent the original problem board to Skybeaux and he has replaced problem mosfets and awaiting the return. I think I may have damaged the good working board from my own Freddy, but will check it today with multimeter and get back to you.

Just tested mosfet and it reads differently to the others. Starts low and then rises.

So, could the bad coil/diode combination have fried the good mosfet on my working board? Is there anything else I should test before putting the repaired board back in the game this week?

Thanks!

Adam.