Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Toyota Hiace Heater Core Help Needed

dezbaz

Hi Guys

I drive a 2011 Hiace

It started leaking underneath, so I took it to my mechanic

They said it was the heater core so I got them to bypass it for now

It's been a bit cold here so I wouldn't mind having a go at replacing it myself

The dash has to come out I realise. And Aircon Degas etc

Has anyone actually done one before, for this model? Or have info

Cheers

things were so much simpler in the days of the HQ, especially a 6cyl.

that wasn't helpful I know.

i would expect the procedure would be outlined in detail in a workshop manual, maybe Gregory's.

if you are sure on degassing the air con it may be better to let the mechanic handle it as they would handle the regassing and guarantee their work.

another option maybe....you do all the labour intensive stuff and call out a mobile mechanic to finish the air con side of it.

I would try Barr's leaks (or similar) before I did anything else. You would be surprised how well this stuff works.

Naturally you will need to reconnect the heater before running it.

For $10 and 30 minutes I think it is well worth a try.

FWIW in the past, when I have used this, the repair was permanent - well, it held as long as I owned the vehicle anyway....:lol

I would not go anywhere near a newer car with bars leak, ok for old shit heaps.

Dez, ring Just Toyota wreckers, now called JTW, they are in O'Connor ask them if they have a second hand unit, they will also be helpful on how it can be removed, they wreck these things every day

I would not go anywhere near a newer car with bars leak, ok for old shit heaps.

Dez, ring Just Toyota wreckers, now called JTW, they are in O'Connor ask them if they have a second hand unit, they will also be helpful on how it can be removed, they wreck these things every day

Thanks Dean

I just read a lot of reviews, and have used it myself 20 years ago on an old 70's bomb

It really sux that a 5 year old van can leak even though the fluid is perfect in colour (The red shit)

I am a fridge mech, (no longer licenced) Maybe I can think of an old mate to degas

You might not have to degas, depending where the core is located.

I had to do a heater core once in a Tarago, the Toyota guys told me the whole dash needed removing, so you could pull the heater box back from the firewall to get the pipes free, I noticed that if the pipes were shorter, I could pull the core out the side of the heater box without removing anything, so I cut the pipes off the old core just past the bend, leaving the bends on the core, I then removed the old core.

I modified the new core by cutting the pipes back to suit and re fitted it with some heater hose and some clamps.

Turned a whole day job into a 45 minute job, also made it easy for the next time :D.

Might be worth sticking your head under to see if the core comes out the side of the box like the Tarago, might be able to do the same trick.

You might not have to degas, depending where the core is located.

I had to do a heater core once in a Tarago, the Toyota guys told me the whole dash needed removing, so you could pull the heater box back from the firewall to get the pipes free, I noticed that if the pipes were shorter, I could pull the core out the side of the heater box without removing anything, so I cut the pipes off the old core just past the bend, leaving the bends on the core, I then removed the old core.

I modified the new core by cutting the pipes back to suit and re fitted it with some heater hose and some clamps.

Turned a whole day job into a 45 minute job, also made it easy for the next time :D.

Might be worth sticking your head under to see if the core comes out the side of the box like the Tarago, might be able to do the same trick.

Bloody brilliant!

I've ordered the CDR manual off eBay

I'll have a read

Looks like the heater is in a big box at this stage

I looked under the dash and see that box

The pipes are visible in the front, which is actually a bonnet on this van

Have a look at this one on eBay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-HIACE-HEATER-BOX-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-/262501246581?hash=item3d1e4b2675:g:cqIAAOSw9N1V0WQf

• 2 years later...

UPDATE:

Heater core replaced!

I found a core on eBay years ago and looked for pics on the net to see how to do it.

After 3 years I found pics from a different angle on eBay

So I googled and found this youtube

It was easy to see the heater just slips into the RHS section

I figured if I could get just the fan box off, I could slip the heater out of the A/Con section

After 30 mins, I had the fan off

A few things needed loosening, but it came off.

Problem is the 2 x pipes protrude through the firewall

Thanks to Dean for this suggestion, if you cut the pipes the heater comes out

The new heater needs cutting too

Here's some pics if anyone wants to do it one day

Fan box off, 30 Mins

http://www.amazingarcading.com.au/Heater-Repl-02-sm.jpg

Cut old leaky core pipes, a little more gentle on the new one, and de-burr edges

http://www.amazingarcading.com.au/Heater-Repl-01-sm.jpg

I think that's the airbag connector ??

http://www.amazingarcading.com.au/Heater-Repl-03-sm.jpg

Good access to heater, see the hoses come through now

http://www.amazingarcading.com.au/Heater-Repl-04-sm.jpg

Closeup, I used an old hose to prevent chafing against the edges. I will seal it up with silicone once I test it tomorrow.

I have some of that edging I will probably put on there too

Good signs so far, I heated up the engine and the heater was hot as, and there were no leaks :)

http://www.amazingarcading.com.au/Heater-Repl-05-sm.jpg

Edited by dezbaz