Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

What's a good 42/43" TV to buy for a video pinball cab

benird

Question

I'm looking to start my pinball cab after some great feedback about the cabinet design and VP setup from a number of members on here.

Now I'm at the point of buying the play-field TV. I'm happy to buy new from a retailer I just need to know what the TV options are in Australia at the moment. Looking around this forum there's some mention that LG and Samsung retained their power start a couple of years ago but does anyone know if that's still the case and/or what other options are out there.

I'm looking at building a William's Widebody cabinet which looks to have ~650mm room wide and ~1100mm long so I'm thinking 42 or 43" would be the optimal size, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Similarly is there a refresh rate I should be looking for or contrast ration, etc, etc?

I've got the back-glass sorted and I have Brad's table group working nicely on the PC with 2 displays, now it's time to start piecing the final technical components together.

Thanks for your help.

• Answers 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

What a great pickup ! had no idea you could get these so cheap. always thought a digital signage was way out of reach for me.

seen a couple on ebay now around $350 for a 42 and a 43. your reaction to yours has got me thinking about when i upgrade next...

Seriously Jed the difference is huge from the Soniq, it even seems higher resolution even tho both are 1080p. I just can't wait to mount it properly. As I said before I have the NEC 424, I saw the 464 the 46" on eBay for $500 or offer.

It's better than my old Toshiba, and that one was very good too, but only LCD, blacks are as good as this NEC.

These represent great value 2nd hand for Vpin cabs.

Great pickup. Only seconds hand ones near me are large ones with low resolution.

Once again flog a dead horse the cheaper brands do not make the panels they re-brand them, they are LG or Samsung panels often in Soniq tvs. So taking brand names or saying a cheap price points is a waste, is actually a waste of everyone's time and money.

Have you got the monitor specs handy? Maybe we could answer this question that way? As in lowest specs that people find reasonable for a vpin and recommended specs.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

Great pickup. Only seconds hand ones near me are large ones with low resolution.

Have you got the monitor specs handy? Maybe we could answer this question that way? As in lowest specs that people find reasonable for a vpin and recommended specs.

NEC E424 SPECS:

Technical Specification NEC MultiSync® E424

DISPLAY

Panel Technology S-PVA with edge LED backlights

Active Screen Area (W x H) [mm] 939 x 531

Screen Size [inch/cm] 42 / 107

Aspect Ratio 16:9

Brightness (shipping) [cd/m2] 350

Contrast Ratio (typ.) 3000:1

Viewing Angle [°] 176 horizontal / 176 vertical (typ. at contrast ratio 20:1)

Response Time (typ.) [ms] 6.5 (grey-to-grey)

Panel Refresh Rate [Hz] 60

SYNCHRONISATION RATE

Horizontal Frequency [kHz] 31 - 83 (analog and digital)

RESOLUTION

Native Resolution 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz

Supported on digital and analogue inputs (PC) 1920 x 1080; 1366 x 786; 1280 x 800; 1280 x 720; 1024 x 768; 800 x 600; 720 x

400; 640 x 480

Supported on digital inputs (Video) 1920 x 1080i (60Hz); 1920 x 1080p (60/30/24Hz); 1280 x 720p (60Hz); 720 x 480i

(60Hz); 720 x 480p (60Hz)

CONNECTIVITY

Input Video Analogue 1 x D-sub 15 pin; Component (RCA); Composite (RCA)

Input Video Digital 3 x HDMI

Input Audio Digital 3 x HDMI

Output Audio Digital 1 x SPDIF

Remote Control RS-232C (9-pin D-sub) Input; Remote Control IR

ELECTRICAL

Power Consumption on Mode [W] 86 (max.)

Power Savings Mode [W] < 0.5 (ECO Standby)

Power Management VESA DPMS

ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS

Operating Temperature [°C] +0 to +40

Operating Humidity [%] 10 to 80

Storage Humidity [%] 5 to 85

Storage Temperature [°C] -10 to +60

MECHANICAL

Dimensions (W x H x D) [mm] Without stand: 957 x 573 x 63 (centre depth 37)

Weight [kg] Without stand: 11.7

Bezel Width [mm] 32.4 (bottom); 9.9 (left, right and top)

VESA Mounting [mm] 400 x 400 (FDMI); 4 holes; M6

AVAILABLE OPTIONS

Accessories Wall mount (MSAU, MSMU)

ADDITIONAL FEATURES

Colour Versions Black Front Bezel, Black Back Cabinet

Safety and Ergonomics C-tick; CE; Energy Star 6.0; FCC Class B; PSB; UL/C-UL or CSA; RoHS

Audio Integrated Speakers (10 W + 10 W)

Shipping Content Foot; Display; Power Cable; VGA cable; Remote

I'm hoping we can get to that for a spec guide for others, for me it has been very confusing and I think I just got lucky after I decided to drop a question on this post a few days ago and commercial signage monitors were mentioned.

The newer version of the NEC E424 is the E425 which seems to also have a digital tuner, new these are $990, so I think I got a great deal.

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/393662/HOME_ENTERTAINMENT_COMMERCIAL_LED_LCD/NEC/E425.asp

Once again flog a dead horse the cheaper brands do not make the panels they re-brand them, they are LG or Samsung panels often in Soniq tvs. So taking brand names or saying a cheap price points is a waste, is actually a waste of everyone's time and money.

I have TCL (which I have said before) and I am happy (which I have said before). I just thought I'd point out that they make their own panels. They also had the 3rd largest market share in global TV behind Samsung and LG but in front of Sony and Hisense. They are not well known in Australia but they are a large Chinese brand. I might not have the eye for detail that others have, but if anyone is anywhere near me, I invite them to come and have a go of my VPin to see what they think of them. I will have my VPin at Pinfest in Caves Beach this year too so if anyone want a go they are welcome to and can say G'day. You might think they are crap screens, it would be good for others to give their opinions.

I will add... as I am already a little off topic, I don't have anything against the big brands like Sony, Samsung, LG etc. I just don't have the budget of others. I worry about second hand too much. I know there are plenty of stories of it working out for people but I worry that they might not have much life left and I'll waste my money.

Me too, my whole build was $1k and i already had the PC..

While the additional outlay may be under $1k as you already owned items its difficult to get an actual cost.

The one I have, is (almost) all new. The cabinet was a scratch build, the TV's, encoder, graphics card, buttons, side rails, lockdown bar etc. etc. new, the only second hand part was the PC which I bought for the purpose. I know this contradicts my second hand purchase concerns I stated above but I have access to purchasing more of these (for personal use only) at a ridiculously cheap price which by far outweighs the risk. The total cost of my build is approx $2500 (including shipping costs and a gift card I bought for the guy that put my cab together) but take into account that I sold my previous VPin for $2000 and it was only a $1000 expense and I am winning with an outlay of $1500.

While the additional outlay may be under $1k as you already owned items its difficult to get an actual cost.

The one I have, is (almost) all new. The cabinet was a scratch build, the TV's, encoder, graphics card, buttons, side rails, lockdown bar etc. etc. new, the only second hand part was the PC which I bought for the purpose. I know this contradicts my second hand purchase concerns I stated above but I have access to purchasing more of these (for personal use only) at a ridiculously cheap price which by far outweighs the risk. The total cost of my build is approx $2500 (including shipping costs and a gift card I bought for the guy that put my cab together) but take into account that I sold my previous VPin for $2000 and it was only a $1000 expense and I am winning with an outlay of $1500.

Good result !

My point of posting the $1k build is to talk about recycling... I used almost second hand everything, the pin2dmd was new and the exciters for the pmd was new, but everything else was stuff I already had, or bought second hand. The PC was my already existing gaming PC which is still my gaming PC.... so i couldn't put a cost on my vpin as it borrows from everywhere :D if you buy decent electronic gear there's not much that can go wrong... I've never had a panel die on me ever vpin or otherwise. seems Only time I need to fix stuff is when I have my 'hands of death' mate over, he seems to kill everything. he broke my plunger first pull last time he was over, then he used my PC and nothing would load. He tried to play my arcade machine and black-screened it. He'll step back immediately and deny any fault, which is always a laugh :D

TCL are a good buy, i read the other day they outsell all other brands on Amazon.