Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Manufacturing opportunity at Highway Games - need your feedback!

State
    Cairns
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3734 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbyte View Post
    The last thing we bought from Highway (made in China of course) we demanded a refund . It was badly manufactured. . First unit was faulty on delivery, second (replacement) unit caught fire . It all about saving a $. But that's just our experience. Beware!!!!!!!!!!
    Please tell me a product that ISN'T made in China? I tire of people "blanket" calling ALL Chinese products crap.

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    What about Kiwi fruit???

Oh wait, that's Chinese Gooseberry isn't it.

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1272 Post(s)
    I had IMO poor customer service from them when I made a small purchase awhile ago, but I do like that they import some arcade stuff that would otherwise be unavailable here and I would not rule out purchasing from them again.

As far as a 29" 4:3 LCD goes......I'm not interested in one really and I think they will struggle to sell in volume for anything over $500 and that would have to include the new bezel to fit it into the relevant cabs. The CRTs in mine are still going strong and I have a couple of 29" TVs for donor tubes that I will purchase Jomac chassis for one day as back ups. So I hope to not be in the market for LCD any time soon, fingers crossed.

But if I heard of 29" 4:3 OLED then I would be interested as they have blacks that are even better than CRT and if they were made curved like a CRT to fit these cabs I think they would look awesome

Astros with good monitors can still be purchased for between $700 - $900 so I can't see people rushing to buy an LCD for the same price.

I would be glad to see these made though even if I'm not going to pre-order one, the more options out there to keep these old games going the better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Homepin View Post
    Please tell me a product that ISN'T made in China? I tire of people "blanket" calling ALL Chinese products crap.
    Actually Oldbyte said that the Chinese made products he bought from Highway were crap, he didn't say all Chinese products were crap just being pedantic, but I know you like that
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    victoria
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    i used to buy IR touch panels from china and to get them at the right price you need to buy 20-30 , maybe 2 or 3 stuff up after
    a month or so , it is what it is but you pay monkeys for them so i can't complain

900 for a 4:3 lcd is ludicrous in this day and age, operators will never pay that - maybe 500 AU dollars landed

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    777 Post(s)
    I love China... they build all the shite i like and for **** all..
    Taiwan is the Lexus of China

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbyte View Post
    The last thing we bought from Highway (made in China of course) we demanded a refund . It was badly manufactured. . First unit was faulty on delivery, second (replacement) unit caught fire . It all about saving a $. But that's just our experience. Beware!!!!!!!!!!
    I think you need to be honest with everyone. The machine you are referring is our premium video cabinet with full safety approvals/test reports and sold to commercial retailers. Its definitely not the stock China machines found in the marketplace.

We believed you did not connect the IO board (to play your Taito X2 board) correctly to the Jamma harness the first time, which burned out the IO board. You called our office and said the machine does not work and that the IO board is not working. So our office tested another IO board from our showroom machine and sent to you. You then plugged the 2nd unit in incorrectly causing the IO board to be destroyed together with the wiring harness. You called our office and said the product was rubbish. As we told you, we believed you incorrectly plugged in the components causing the issues. In any case, we refunded you machine, paid for the machine to be returned back to us, paid for the parts to be replaced, turned the machine on - working fine. We even paid a freelance technician to also inspect the machine in case we had missed anything.

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)
    If you really want to take it further, I have all the pics to prove that the I/O board you are referring to is badly manufactured. I can post all the correspondence if you wish but we both know the goods were faulty. You also forgot to mention that we are still out of pocket $250. So please don't talk about honesty.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1406 Post(s)
    same, *most* people would not pay anyway near $900 for this, I realise this is a custom production run but panels are crazy cheap now when you look at how far TV's have dropped. Even $500 would be stretching it for a 29" 4:3 add shipping on top, I don't see this going anywhere at these costs.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    777 Post(s)
    I can see the need for the monitor and fully understand the cost in producing 15 -80 hz 4:3 panels. Shit i was paying $250 Aus each for 15" 4:3 a few years ago and that was when the dollar was strong.
    I think the market for this might be commercial within the larger operators but with the decline in video takings might be a big ask.
    It is all going to come down to your min order qnty..

State
    Cairns
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3734 Post(s)
    I am well aware of what the OP is trying to achieve with this product. I also have looked at this possibility, even traveling to Taiwan to meet with panel makers.

You simply cannot compare a current TV that sells for $299~499 with a custom made panel that you might have (say) 1000 pcs made.

TVs are made by the tens of thousands in a single run - sometimes even hundreds of thousands.

It's impossible to describe the steps needed to have a short production run like this made but I will just say that I gave up!

If it could be done for $800 each I would say that is an absolute bargain but I fear that price will not be achievable.

Over the past couple of years I have really come to realise just what "volume" means in China - I have actually ordered 10K of one part and thrown away 2/3 of the goods when they arrived as I know they would NEVER be used and it would be pointless to store them for 10 years and then throw them away. The manufacturer simply could not grasp why I only wanted 3000 of them.

Most in Australia simply cannot comprehend the true meaning of volume and mass production, me included until recently!

I hope the OP can get this project off the ground as I would be a customer in limited numbers (commercially of course).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information