Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manufacturing opportunity at Highway Games - need your feedback!

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Australia

Manufacturing opportunity at Highway Games - need your feedback!

Hey Everyone,

Highway Games has an opportunity to manufacture a 29inch 4:3 screen LCD monitor for plug and play with existing machines. The costs will be high due to limited production run, generally quantities of 100,000 are needed but we have located a manufacturer willing to make smaller production runs for us.

We would like to check with our customers whether there is any interest and what price is acceptable, please let us know your feedback below.

State
    Newcastle/Hunter Valley
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Think its a great idea! CRTs wont last for ever, and the widescreen monitors look terrible in an old cabint designed for a 4:3 monitor.
    Not sure what people will pay though?

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1337 Post(s)
    Australia
    Would it be multisync 15k-31k? I would say that the right people would pay up to $500 for one. A Joey chassis costs $270 posted, which can still be paired with a free CRT tube harvested from a 29 inch TV. We won't be able to do that for too much longer, but I expect that most enthusiasts would not want to pay too much more for an LCD screen. $500 is a workable price point, but I imagine there is a good chance they can't be made for that price, in small numbers.

I will be watching this thread with interest. I would not be 100% adverse to putting a 29 inch 4:3 LCD in a candy cab, if the need arose. It would all be dependent on cost and the quality of the screen.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Australia

Thank you for your feedback. Highway Games is in negotiations with the manufacturer now, it will be over $590usd but they are not sure yet depending on economies of scale. It maybe has high as $800usd. Once they go into production they will be shipping out of Taiwan or Hong Kong.

- - - Updated - - -

Its multi-sync plug and play, with RGB+VGA+HDMI inputs.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1337 Post(s)
    Australia
    800 would put it out of a price range I would pay, but there may be people who would pay that. If you can keep it as close to 500 as possible, you'd likely be opening it to a much larger market. RGB+VGA+HDMI multi-sync sounds awesome though.

State
    Adelaide
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    322 Post(s)
    I would tend to agree with the price suggested. $500 would be my total upper end. I have need of suitable replacement screens for a couple of cabinet's. But at $500 (Aust) a couple quickly adds up and it's then cheaper to source a different cabinet. Just my opinion

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    500 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Highway Entertainment View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Highway Games has an opportunity to manufacture a 29inch 4:3 screen LCD monitor for plug and play with existing machines. The costs will be high due to limited production run, generally quantities of 100,000 are needed but we have located a manufacturer willing to make smaller production runs for us.

We would like to check with our customers whether there is any interest and what price is acceptable, please let us know your feedback below.
    Multisync means nothing if it can't do native resolution at 56hz - I would be checking that before committing to any production runs.

State
    Newy
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    468 Post(s)
    how close can this look to a CRT with artificial scanlines etc

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    776 Post(s)
    Australia
    I cannot see these selling for any less than $900 which i would say there is no market in the private market for them.
    You also need to keep in mind it is fine to produce the monitor but you then also have the coast of retro fitting whatever you are sticking them in. Not the actual fitting of the display but the user will also have to make kits or adjustments to the factory bezels that the crt used and if the machine is out on site you will also have to add glass into the picture.

I think it will get to the point where you are better of scrapping the machine.
    The people that really want 4:3 monitors are usually the die hard enthusiast and normally wont go near an lcd no matter what it does. Then you have the people that could not care less if they use an lcd but because lcd does not really bother them they are normally happy to buy a $179 PC Panel, converter and a piece of glass and be done with it.

I don't think the min order qnty will be worth it.
    Retail customers are also going to want 2 years warranty etc. I think you will have issues there also. Commercial customers wont care so much but joe public will cry blue murder once it develops a single dead pixel after 18 months

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    Australia
    The last thing we bought from Highway (made in China of course) we demanded a refund . It was badly manufactured. . First unit was faulty on delivery, second (replacement) unit caught fire . It all about saving a $. But that's just our experience. Beware!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information