Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL28 - Game 4 ~ Lasso ~ [FINISHED]

After hitting a ceiling at 120k I changed strategy and joystick then hit another ceiling around 220k round 10........I did feel that I was close to making more progress but didn't find the time today.

Great game, very different and good strategy and difficulty curve :)

http://i.imgur.com/465lWe9h.jpg

Here are the final scoreboard standings for Lasso ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/LassoFinal_zpsnkstgf01.png

This was a surprising game in depth and tactics, where many enjoyed maximising points where possible, and implemented different types of strategy.

From 9th place to 21st place we had 13 players score over 100K, and incredibly 8 players over 200K in the Top 8 ... :023:

Congratulations to SoltyD for winning Game 4 …

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGL28LassoWinner_zpsvlkpwzia.png

Game 4 is now completed ... Elevator Action and Q*bert are currently in play, and again we will have another challenging game revealed this Friday ... :077:

:035:

Even though I missed this event I played a few games of lasso put up ~345k on TG :P

Nice work Craig ... :023: ... actually it was "on" for you to play in the MGL, you just chose to miss it ... otherwise how did you score the 345K?

Next time come and join us ... and I'll verify that Lasso score on TG for you later this week ... and anyone else who submitted to TG ...

• 5 years later...
On 02/07/2016 at 11:35 AM, bigredbird said:

I think I can improve a lot more on this game but my score seems to be in the higher group so here are my tips for this game.

The Golden Rule - Stay alive.

Sounds obvious but there are plenty of times in the game where there are good points on offer when in a risky situation.

I have changed my strategy to ignore the lure of extra points if I am in danger, dodge a potential death and continue on.

If you stay alive the points will take care of themselves.

In the first three rounds my first priority is to kill the dinosaur that comes out of the holes (I don't know if it is actually a dinosaur but that's what I thought it was when I first playing and I call it a dinosaur).

It is easy to get four quick kills before lassoing any animals.

For my first couple of lassos I try and round up and capture multiple animals.

After one catch a wolf will come out. I generally let this one wander around as one wolf is low risk and easy to manage.

After three catches a wolf will come and drag an animal through the fence. This wolf is worth decent points and is a must get each time.

If you miss it releases the animal and then they both join the hunt for your cowboy.

If you shoot it then another wolf will come out to drag an animal through the fence. Again, this is a must get for good points.

The positioning of the cowboy is critical during this process. You need to manoeuvre the animals around to be below you before you make your third lasso. That means you will be in a good position to shoot the wolf as it drags the animal through the fence with not too much going on around it.

The other wolves are predictable in the movement and are easy to kill.

In the early rounds I try and position myself in the top left section of the playing area so the wolves can be killed as they appear. This minimises risk of having multiple wolves on screen in pursuit.

In later rounds I find it easiest to hide behind the bush/grass at the bottom of the playing area and shoot the wolves as they approach. Your cowboy can shoot (and the wolves can run) through the bush but the animals can't.

It is reasonably safe to shoot the wolves from this position while lassoing to the left and right to capture animals.

It is important to know that you can lasso and shoot at the same time if you remain standing still. You can continue to throw out your lasso to capture animals as you shoot the wolves that approach you.

The dinosaur holes.

Use the strategy above in the early rounds and you don't need to worry about the holes.

Things move too quickly as the game progresses to kill all four dinosaurs immediately so you need a different plan to avoid death by dinosaur breath.

The simplest way is too avoid going near the holes but this is not always possible. You still want to kill all dinosaurs if possible - They are worth good points and make the play field less risky.

The dinosaurs shoot their deadly breath upward, downward and inward. They do not shoot toward the outside of the playfield. If you have time, the safest place to shoot is standing near the edge of the playing area and shooting from behind.

The dinosaurs only shoot once each time they pop up. Once they have made their decision which way to shoot they are safe to approach from any other direction and shoot. You also get a fraction of a second to shoot at the empty hole when they have gone back in and you will still get the kill.

Animal behaviour

The animals are not very smart. They seem to have a general idea of where you are but are not that focused on a direct path to run you down.

They gain a lot of speed as you progress through the levels but I have found that even when you think you are cornered they will sometimes change direction and run away.

Moral of the story - Never give up! - they are pretty stupid animals.

General play

After level three my focus is on capturing all animals as quickly as possible.

When the round begins I throw a lasso in the general direction of the animals and hope to snag one or two. After a few seconds you get a short time where all the animals (except wolves) slow down. This is the time to reduce the herd as quickly as possible. The closer you get to the animals, the quicker you can lasso and move on to the next one.

I have found the higher levels too difficult to regularly shoot all dinosaurs and shoot both wolves that steal the animals. It is just too risky. I make the kills and take the points if they are easy but it is not my base plan.

Progressing round by round by clearing animals quickly seems to work for me. I can score in the mid to high 200s each game with this strategy and at the time of writing this my PB is 331K.

Hope this helps you to increase your PB.

@bigredbird Fantastic write up and great tips thanks for posting this 🙂