State
    NH
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quoted
    318 Post(s)

Wiring/Microswitch Questions

Hello,

So I bought a different Sanwa stick in error but want to use it anyway. The item is a JLF-TP-8YT.

The controller came with a partial wiring harness where one side fits nicely into the controller and the other side, five loose wires, will need to be plugged into the board in some manner. For whatever reason, instead of having a clip that will allow an easy plugin to the board, I have only these loose wires. I'm very new to this sort of thing so I'm currently at a loss as to how to move forward. Can I locally buy a clip? Are these common electronic parts? If so, do the wire just slip into the clip? Does it matter what order the wires are in?

Attachment 94724

Again, for anyone that could easily answer these questions, it will be clear that I'm quite new to this and that I'm no electronic techie.

The second question is about microswitches for a Sanwa stick. I do not have the item number for this other stick. I was having trouble with occasional sticking and assumed that the microswitches were the issue as I've had the controller for some time now. The microswitches have no part number whatsoever, rather they are all black, say Sanwa on them and have a picture of what appears to be a little elephant. I tried inserting extra microswitches I already had from xarcade that appeared to be the same size with no luck. While I was able to have the stick work, movements become ultra sticky requiring several commands to make desired movements during game play.

Are these microswitches common parts? Do I have to only use Sanwa switches? Should I be able to buy switches locally?

As you may guess, I'm anxious to resolve these questions in order to get these sticks into game play!

This post is a starting point. If anyone could answer these questions, or lead me down a better path than my current baffled state, it would most appreciated.

Thanks!

State
    Cairns
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3734 Post(s)
    The lose end of the wires are soldered into your existing wiring harness.

State
    Adelaide
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    549 Post(s)
    The harness plugs into the joystick, the loose wires correspond to the up, down, left, right and ground signals.

What exactly are you connecting it to?
    SEGA love: click | Nintendo love: click
    PC Engine love: click | Latest retro finds: click

State
    NH
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quoted
    318 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
    The harness plugs into the joystick, the loose wires correspond to the up, down, left, right and ground signals.

What exactly are you connecting it to?
    I have an arcade control panel hooked up via an xarcade wiring harness package. Here is an image of the board itself where the buttons and previous controller were plugged into if it's of assistance:

Attachment 94726

Of the nine clip slots as shown in the image from top to bottom, left to right, the old controller clipped into slot 7.

State
    Adelaide
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    549 Post(s)
    Ok, maybe pop into Jaycar and find a suitable plug.

Determining which pin does what will be easy. Ground will be on one side, use an input test screen and with a loose wire poke each pin and see what's what.
    SEGA love: click | Nintendo love: click
    PC Engine love: click | Latest retro finds: click

State
    bunbury WA
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1210 Post(s)
    I got a hand scribbled diagram of a xarcade that I took apart

Twin controller 8 buttons per player. I coded each colour to the buttons it used

- - - Updated - - -

Determining which pin does what will be easy. Ground will be on one side, use an input test screen and with a loose wire poke each pin and see what's what.
    They don't use black as a earth on some plugs frank

Well one I got doesn't when I gutted it
    you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

State
    Cairns
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3734 Post(s)

The OP is in the USA it seems

State
    NH
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quoted
    318 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Homepin View Post
    The OP is in the USA it seems
    Yes. US here. With regret, a trip to Jaycar will not be feasible though there should be an equivalent electronics store locally that will serve the same function.

I have another xarcade clip I could use for this from the old Sanwa controller. How do the loose wires snap into the clip? I can't imagine I would solder into plastic. I also don't own soldering stuff, though that's easy enough to resolve if required. I could go trial and error I suppose, unless this might create unknown issues I've not any clue about.

Also, at least with xarcade, I'm able to program up/down/left/right (though not the ground!) once connected. This may be an uneducated statement, but ground aside, in that I could program after the fact, would it matter what wires go in what slots?

I made a fast effort in pulling the wires out of the old clip without success. Rather than messing it up, I thought it best to instead to start inquiring/researching.

Thanks again

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magrinder View Post
    Yes. US here. With regret, a trip to Jaycar will not be feasible though there should be an equivalent electronics store locally that will serve the same function.
    I think Fry's is the U.S equivalent of Jaycar. Try them.

State
    VIC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Would it be safe to say that if joystick of this variety was purchased and used with an IPAC2 that the loose cables would just be screwed into the relevant terminal block on the IPAC2?

I am looking to replace a basic 4 way joystick because of the limitations with games such as 1942 whereby I cannot move diagonally when trying to escape the pesky enemy so knowing this would be helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information