Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Wiring/Microswitch Questions

Hello,

So I bought a different Sanwa stick in error but want to use it anyway. The item is a JLF-TP-8YT.

The controller came with a partial wiring harness where one side fits nicely into the controller and the other side, five loose wires, will need to be plugged into the board in some manner. For whatever reason, instead of having a clip that will allow an easy plugin to the board, I have only these loose wires. I'm very new to this sort of thing so I'm currently at a loss as to how to move forward. Can I locally buy a clip? Are these common electronic parts? If so, do the wire just slip into the clip? Does it matter what order the wires are in?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94724[/ATTACH]

Again, for anyone that could easily answer these questions, it will be clear that I'm quite new to this and that I'm no electronic techie. :)

The second question is about microswitches for a Sanwa stick. I do not have the item number for this other stick. I was having trouble with occasional sticking and assumed that the microswitches were the issue as I've had the controller for some time now. The microswitches have no part number whatsoever, rather they are all black, say Sanwa on them and have a picture of what appears to be a little elephant. I tried inserting extra microswitches I already had from xarcade that appeared to be the same size with no luck. While I was able to have the stick work, movements become ultra sticky requiring several commands to make desired movements during game play.

Are these microswitches common parts? Do I have to only use Sanwa switches? Should I be able to buy switches locally?

As you may guess, I'm anxious to resolve these questions in order to get these sticks into game play!

This post is a starting point. If anyone could answer these questions, or lead me down a better path than my current baffled state, it would most appreciated.

Thanks!

The harness plugs into the joystick, the loose wires correspond to the up, down, left, right and ground signals.

What exactly are you connecting it to?

I have an arcade control panel hooked up via an xarcade wiring harness package. Here is an image of the board itself where the buttons and previous controller were plugged into if it's of assistance:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94726[/ATTACH]

Of the nine clip slots as shown in the image from top to bottom, left to right, the old controller clipped into slot 7.

I got a hand scribbled diagram of a xarcade that I took apart

Twin controller 8 buttons per player. I coded each colour to the buttons it used

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, maybe pop into Jaycar and find a suitable plug.

Determining which pin does what will be easy. Ground will be on one side, use an input test screen and with a loose wire poke each pin and see what's what.

They don't use black as a earth on some plugs frank

Well one I got doesn't when I gutted it

Ok, maybe pop into Jaycar and find a suitable plug.

Determining which pin does what will be easy. Ground will be on one side, use an input test screen and with a loose wire poke each pin and see what's what.

The OP is in the USA it seems :unsure

The OP is in the USA it seems :unsure

Yes. US here. With regret, a trip to Jaycar will not be feasible though there should be an equivalent electronics store locally that will serve the same function.

I have another xarcade clip I could use for this from the old Sanwa controller. How do the loose wires snap into the clip? I can't imagine I would solder into plastic. I also don't own soldering stuff, though that's easy enough to resolve if required. I could go trial and error I suppose, unless this might create unknown issues I've not any clue about.

Also, at least with xarcade, I'm able to program up/down/left/right (though not the ground!) once connected. This may be an uneducated statement, but ground aside, in that I could program after the fact, would it matter what wires go in what slots?

I made a fast effort in pulling the wires out of the old clip without success. Rather than messing it up, I thought it best to instead to start inquiring/researching.

Thanks again

Yes. US here. With regret, a trip to Jaycar will not be feasible though there should be an equivalent electronics store locally that will serve the same function.

I think Fry's is the U.S equivalent of Jaycar. Try them.

• 3 months later...

Would it be safe to say that if joystick of this variety was purchased and used with an IPAC2 that the loose cables would just be screwed into the relevant terminal block on the IPAC2?

I am looking to replace a basic 4 way joystick because of the limitations with games such as 1942 whereby I cannot move diagonally when trying to escape the pesky enemy so knowing this would be helpful.

Would it be safe to say that if joystick of this variety was purchased and used with an IPAC2 that the loose cables would just be screwed into the relevant terminal block on the IPAC2?

I am looking to replace a basic 4 way joystick because of the limitations with games such as 1942 whereby I cannot move diagonally when trying to escape the pesky enemy so knowing this would be helpful.

Most joysticks can be configured for 2/4/8 way by moving a restrictor plate.

Show us a picture of your stick......hmmm, joystick.......Mmmmm, ARCADE controller joystick! :lol

Yes. There will be a common ground, and the other four wires can go to any input. I'm not sure if there are specific joystick inputs on an I-Pac, or you just use the key-inputs you want and then bind those in your emulators. All digital (on/off) sticks are just four switches. One pole from each switch goes to ground, the other to the relevant input of whatever controller or control board you're using. Then you bind those inputs one by one to u, d, l, r in whatever game or program you want to.

However, check the other thread about the possibility that you actually have an 8-way with its restrictor plate set to 4-way :)

Most joysticks can be configured for 2/4/8 way by moving a restrictor plate.

Show us a picture of your stick......hmmm, joystick.......Mmmmm, ARCADE controller joystick! :lol

Yes. There will be a common ground, and the other four wires can go to any input. I'm not sure if there are specific joystick inputs on an I-Pac, or you just use the key-inputs you want and then bind those in your emulators. All digital (on/off) sticks are just four switches. One pole from each switch goes to ground, the other to the relevant input of whatever controller or control board you're using. Then you bind those inputs one by one to u, d, l, r in whatever game or program you want to.

However, check the other thread about the possibility that you actually have an 8-way with its restrictor plate set to 4-way :)

Thanks for the replies, I will upload the pic in the other thread to avoid doubling up.