Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

LED Dilemma.

Since fully LEDing up my Pin*bot, now Indiana Jones & Black Rose will have to be done too. PIN*BOT looks soooo! good, all the other machines look dull & uninteresting. Anyone else had this issue? :blink: Edited by Darksoul
typo

Since fully LEDing up my Pin*bot, now Indiana Jones & Black Rose will have to be done too. PIN*BOT looks soooo! good, all the other machines look dull & uninteresting. Anyone else had this issue? :blink:

It is a problem, but you think that's bad, try putting a colored DMD and see how you feel...

Mine are all full of LEDs even in the backboxes and flashers (though took a few tries to fin ones that look just right)...

Some with ColorDMD, mine are now all done, once you start it is bloody hard to stop, still in the process of upgrading speakers and subs, less obvious but worth doing too...

I have avoided pinsound as I know once I do one I will have to do them all.. sigh...

I won't use LED's in my Wedge Heads or wood rail , they just don't look right .

You loose the nostalgia.

What about some nice "warm white" twin leds with serrated cap. Lots of sparkle like with incandescent but still a warm glow.

What about some nice "warm white" twin leds with serrated cap. Lots of sparkle like with incandescent but still a warm glow.

Do you have a comparison shot?. Have never seen a led look remotely like an incandescent. Some of them get close with the warmth, but lack the dispersion and look spotty.

These are the leds I'm talking about. The serrated cap gives them a nice "sparkle" and they are available in warm white.

I will see if I can do some shots but it is hard to do photos of lamps (led or incandesent).

20130924_155145.thumb.jpg.c3beba0e7e0bb4fd3c82afeb89a7a5c4.jpg

These are the leds I'm talking about. The serrated cap gives them a nice "sparkle" and they are available in warm white.

I will see if I can do some shots but it is hard to do photos of lamps (led or incandesent).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90408[/ATTACH]

You don't really need to take pics of the lamps themselves. How about an overhead shot of a game with the glass off, at night, and focusing on the lower 1/3 of the playfield. Interesting to see how they compare in throwing the light outwards.

You don't really need to take pics of the lamps themselves. How about an overhead shot of a game with the glass off, at night, and focusing on the lower 1/3 of the playfield. Interesting to see how they compare in throwing the light outwards.

And while your at it, put a couple of inky's in for comparasion

I thought I prefered incs in omy old EM games but when I trialled a few in the gi's I was hooked and ended up using them everywhere. Just lifts them. My Joker Poker looked fantastic after I'd finished.

I know some prefer globes but the new led technology brightens some of the old playfields.

OK have done the exercise with a ToM. A machine in which I like not to go too cold bright white.

First picture: left side incandesent and right side warm white twins

20160313_114106.thumb.jpg.8847334d6918115e658af15c0884d500.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20160313_114132.thumb.jpg.89b795becc8461d8a0d94bcbb2b64843.jpg

WARM WHITE TWIN LED

- - - Updated - - -

Incandesent lamps

20160313_114117.thumb.jpg.74df36ac7473d0a49779176764b7a237.jpg

Led is definitely brighter but colour is almost the same. Biggest improvement is that plastics look much better. This is caused by having a lense on top of the led improving upward light with the side serrations giving surround sparkle. I know that for nostalgic reasons some still might prefer incandesent lamps but objectively there is no question that these leds give your machine a better look.

Edited by BioBa
change

OK have done the exercise with a ToM. A machine in which I like not to go too cold bright white.

First picture: left side incandesent and right side warm white twins

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90422[/ATTACH]

- - - Updated - - -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90423[/ATTACH]

WARM WHITE TWIN LED

- - - Updated - - -

Incandesent lamps

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90426[/ATTACH]

Led is definitely brighter but colour is almost the same. Biggest improvement is that plastics look much better. This is caused by having a lense on top of the led improving upward light with the side serrations giving surround sparkle. I know that for nostalgic reasons some still might prefer incandesent lamps but objectively there is no question that these leds give your machine a better look.

Wow, was interested in the dispersion, and the leds look to cover that very well!. Colour temp seems to be very close indeed. Yes they look brighter, but it looks like you lose detail on the plastics because they are so bright. But I reckon thats more to do with the camera. So would you say from an overhead viewpoint, the plastics look sharper?.

Wonder how these perform in say a late 70's backglass.