Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MGL 28 - Game 3 ~ Popeye ~ [FINISHED]

State
    Noble Park, Vic
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)

dunno where i played this before, maybe the 2600 or some poverty shop with only this and kangaroo ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

State
    Sa
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    426 Post(s)

0002.png
    quick bash using a keyboard as I'm away from my mame machine. Think I will do better with a proper joystick.

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2292 Post(s)

0001.png

State
    Sa
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    426 Post(s)

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quoted
    666 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magrinder View Post
    You'll have a far better go with the 4 way. Those stairs are up/down controls and with an eight way, you'll intuitively try and diagonal yourself up or down a staircase. The diagonal command on an 8 way won't always register as up or down, leaving you flat footed at a staircase with a pesky Brutus on your tail. Obviously, this is not a good combination of events.

I have played this with an 8 way and found the game essentially unplayable. A 4 way will always take a diagonal command as up or down.

I am using an 8 way and I have had a lot of unnecessary deaths on the stairs with a diagonal move.
    It takes a lot of discipline to remember only up and down.
    I guess I'll just have to eat my SPINACH and suck it up.

Toot Toot!

popeye toot.jpg

State
    NH
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quoted
    317 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Batfink View Post

dunno where i played this before, maybe the 2600 or some poverty shop with only this and kangaroo ...
    "Poverty shop" has to be an Aussie term as I've never heard of that before. In that you tied the game in with Kangaroo, I've a good solid indication of what this might mean. I laughed at this comment, even though I may not fully be understanding it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bigredbird View Post
    I am using an 8 way and I have had a lot of unnecessary deaths on the stairs with a diagonal move.
    It takes a lot of discipline to remember only up and down.
    I guess I'll just have to eat my SPINACH and suck it up.
    On several games, I'll use a computer keyboard for better control (Barra's favorite controller). Some examples of games that play well with a keyboard are: Pac anything, Turtles, dkong, Congo Bongo, or basically any four way game requiring precision turns. I've been playing Popeye with a keyboard the past few days (waiting for arcade parts to arrive tomorrow or Monday for my arcade like controller). The arrow keys are brilliant for the stairs, but I have trouble snapping back and forth (left and right) when facing numerous bottles being tossed my way from both directions. Personally I'll need a regular controller to make that left right thing to work, but maybe you might have a better time of the left and right thing than me?

Regardless of your approach, yes... do eat your SPINACH .
    Last edited by magrinder; 11th June 2016 at 09:54 PM. Reason: added OOO like color/style to "SPINACH"

State
    Noble Park, Vic
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    "Poverty shop" has to be an Aussie term as I've never heard of that before. In that you tied the game in with Kangaroo, I've a good solid indication of what this might mean. I laughed at this comment, even though I may not fully be understanding it.
    haha the language barrier, i just meant it as a shop that couldn't afford anything better... as i do remember playing this game a fair bit and it must have been lack of choice. guess kangaroo sprang to mind as from memory its very similar.

i haven't gone to keyboard for any mgl games as yet, I just like the arcade feel with these games.

I have one side on 8 way , player 2 set to 4way, so i just rebind the inputs to whatever.
    Mame_Xbox.jpg

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    354 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1155 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batfink View Post
    haha the language barrier, i just meant it as a shop that couldn't afford anything better... as i do remember playing this game a fair bit and it must have been lack of choice. guess kangaroo sprang to mind as from memory its very similar.

i haven't gone to keyboard for any mgl games as yet, I just like the arcade feel with these games.

I have one side on 8 way , player 2 set to 4way, so i just rebind the inputs to whatever.
    Mame_Xbox.jpg
    You should take turns with the minion there on the right ... in fact if you don't mind, convince him to sign up on AA ... Batfink and the Minion, no Karate ...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bigredbird View Post
    I am using an 8 way
    Hang on, you play Mr Do with a 4 way don't you? Or are you using keyboard for Mr Do?
    Then if keyboard do, then pop your eye too.
    However if do 4, pop 4 and you'll be hammered ...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RMacauley View Post
    A few quick games before heading to the airport.
    Mate are you being run out of town frequently? That's all I read these last 12 months ... airport, airport, airport.
    It's either an eviction or you are are sick of home dinners ...

TooT TooT ... blame Rat for this ... he started it ...

State
    Vic
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    image.jpeg
    Not even good enough to put my name in urghhh!!!

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quoted
    666 Post(s)
    The arrow keys are brilliant for the stairs, but I have trouble snapping back and forth (left and right) when facing numerous bottles being tossed my way from both directions. Personally I'll need a regular controller to make that left right thing to work, but maybe you might have a better time of the left and right thing than me?
    I don't know how you guys use the keyboard for any games. I've tried it, it's just not for me.
    I think Popeye would be very difficult on a keyboard from level 4 onwards. With Brutus throwing bottles from one direction, the Sea Hag throwing bottles from both directions as well as bouncing skulls from above and having to manoeuvre up and down stairs (while collecting hearts, notes, letters) it would take a lot of skill to survive using the keyboard. I would need a constant supply of spinach fed through an IV drip!
    What are you using @RMacauley ?

Quote Originally Posted by OOO View Post

Hang on, you play Mr Do with a 4 way don't you? Or are you using keyboard for Mr Do?
    I play all games on an 8 way. It's what I'm used to using and haven't had the need to change it.
    My gameplay style on Mr. Do its very fluid and I kind of roll around all the turns.
    If you want to play Mr. Do well you must become Mr. Do.
    You must guide Mr. Do in the same way as you yourself would run through a dirt filled cherry patch whilst being pursued by a relentless enemy. You would not stop at each corner and turn your body 90 degrees and then begin to run again. You would go for smoothness and speed. I feel that Mr.Do is very restricted in his up, down, left, right grid like world and would enjoy the sensation of rounding off the corners even if it is only in his tiny clown brain's imagination.
    I have learned over the years that Mr. Do does not enjoy being rammed into a new direction with the urgency of a 4 way but prefers to be guided around freely, rolling into the turns and feeling the breeze on his little clown face....
    ... I feel I've gotten a little off track here.
    To answer your questions,
    1) I use an 8 way.
    2) I don't use a keyboard.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information