Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

gottlieb lawman 2 player em 1971

Ps that PVC Bath idea for legs is brilliant, I never thought of that, lol, make sure the vinegar is covering the metal completely so you dont get damage above the water line

This is the PVC bath, I can get 2 legs in and have a bit of wire connected so I can pull them out.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p375/tjudge1959/Lawman/2017-06-12%2020.03.55_zps31qvrtxo.jpg

I guess the best bet is to give it a coat of paint, if you are on a budget

No, I'll leave them as they are as they look better in person, and painting just wouldn't look right.

Regarding the pitting, I know that you can't avoid it as the rust has done the damage, I meant that maybe I can sand and polish them out to make them a little less noticeable.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a top idea. Legs in PVC pipe. The vinegar is brilliant as well.

I've had no net for 3 days or I would have suggested toilet cleaner as a rust remover after all, it is virtually the same thing but much, much cheaper and a lot more concentrated .

As for your door and any other pit marks, a random orbital sander leaves nice consistent swirl marks much like the later model Gottlieb doors have as a standard finish.

If you really want that vinegar to work fast, hit it with soda bi carbonate as it reacts with the vinegar and that shit eats right into the rust. I just found two sets of Gottlieb legs, rusted of coarse and I'm thinking I might give the vinegar and soda trick but while it's still reacting, hit it with the random orbital sander.

Just remember once you have cleaned the rust off to put some wax or polish on the metal.

For chromed legs you can also bring them up nicely by rubbing them with alfoil. Just scrunch it up and rub with water which I do and I've heard some use coke.

That's how I normally do it, just thought I'd try this way and see what happens :)

If they are chrome, just dont leave them in too long or the chrome will come off

How long is too long?

The door was in the bath for 2-3 days.

Id only do a quick for a few hours and then clean it, chrome will come off in vinegar and any acids for that matter, I thought you were painting the legs so I thought it would be fine but if your just trying to clean rust and keep chrome then it might be the best solution. and dont leave it for too long

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update.

I have finally finished cleaning up the base board, a few broken wires needed to be replaced, hopefully I got them all.

I have now started on the head box.

I removed all the internals and noticed a few dip marks on the top. I pressed down on one and it felt like the wood was rotten, so I dug it out with my screw driver and found that it was charred wood that had just been painted over. I found more so dug those out as well as this is how it ended up.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p375/tjudge1959/Lawman/2017-06-30%2014.52.19_zpscemicmip.jpg

A lot a char holes, some that are quite deep, so it looks like this pin might have been caught in a fire at one stage?

This pin just keeps giving me one surprise after another :)

Edited by thejudge

I sanded off the paint today and this is the extent of the charring:

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p375/tjudge1959/Lawman/2017-07-02%2013.28.58_zpsn01sbyza.jpg

In this pic you can see some slight scorch marks from the heat coming through the vents, haven't found any damage to the internals at this stage:

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p375/tjudge1959/Lawman/2017-07-02%2013.41.08_zpsznitlvkv.jpg

The rest of the head box seems fine, a lot of bondo ahead, luckily I bought a big tin :)

• 2 weeks later...

Small update, it's been to cold in the garage to do much.

I have almost finished the cabinet work now, just a bit more sanding to go then I will then put it away until it's warmer to do the painting.

As I couldn't find any stencils available for this title, I have started to try and recreate them from internet images. I haven't found it too easy as the designs seem to vary from pin to pin, but I am happy with what I have done for the head box. Next onto to the main cabinet.

I have also started to clean up the head score board. After I removed it from the head box, I found that the particle board was falling apart and was also lifting off the plywood backing. So I glued every lifting bit I could find and once that dried, painted it all with a glue/water mixture to hold to wood together. I then had to mould some bondo into a few areas as they had perished completely. I have now finished it off with a few coats of paint and it looks in a lot better condition now.

1327489436_2017-07-2016_06_43.thumb.jpg.c925429b0deffd5ac856d11510a0ba80.jpg

Next job is the clean the score reels etc as there looks like about 40 years of grime on them :(

• 2 weeks later...

Started to work on cleaning the score reel mechs etc today and bad news :cry

The score reels are very dirty so I was using soapy water to try and clean the white parts, like I've done before.

The excess water from the rag ran over the paint numbers and they just started to wash off.

Not sure why as I didn't even touch them with a rag or anything, very bummed out :realmad:

390661318_2017-07-2913_00_19.thumb.jpg.9bb6f2924a079ee303d2bb752636d423.jpg

I know that Greg from oldpinballs.com used to make decals for these reels, so I will chase him up to see if he can save the day.

How many did you bugger up? If it's just one I possibly have a spare.

I have spares

Wow, thanks for the offers guys, much appreciated.

But just wondering as I still have to clean up the rest of the score reels, what's the best way to do it as the same thing is probably going to happen to the other ones?

Is it maybe better to go the decal way?

• 1 month later...

Well I have now sorted out the score reel issue so I can continue with the project.

Here is the reel after I tried all sorts of cleaners to get rid of the stains, but nothing would work. You can see how stained it is from the middle part.

2000141362_2017-08-2921_23_10.thumb.jpg.26816aa21d644dc6fb33230a5da14c1a.jpg

So I went the sticker way, thanks to Greg for his help

1474659175_2017-08-3112_52_54.thumb.jpg.01457ab6a7eaa7421b8a27534bed443b.jpg

I had the color matched to the original plastic color, not white, and it looks good.

• 1 month later...

Been a few months since I've done anything on this restore.

Lost interest for awhile as the Pinball Pool beckons, but can't do that until this is finished so I'm getting back into it.

Did a little bit of work of the playfield yesterday and finally had a chance to get some paint on the cabinet, at least the under coat.

1949416863_2017-10-2816_01_16.thumb.jpg.440372f9d19d3d7a8f849f2df9a109ed.jpg

Will put the top coat on tomorrow after a quick sand.

I forgot to mention that when I was working on the playfield I noticed that all of the new PBR rubbers that I put on about 3-4 months ago have pretty much all perished :(

1640391386_2017-10-2819_19_47.thumb.jpg.e6e8ecbc258791ee0595fe571c4d996c.jpg

1799775142_2017-10-2819_20_00.thumb.jpg.b5f9e76c8356c647ee03be869dddbfd4.jpg

I have done 2 other pin restores and have not had this problem before. Dodgy Rubbers ?