Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

gottlieb lawman 2 player em 1971

why do we do this? why does this never stop?

little background, even though i had 2 full rebuilds and full restores from the ground up on 2x 1960's gottliebs put the feelers out for a project and got a bite.

Benpinposted that he had a gottlieb lawman from 1971 that was available..and over about 4 weeks worth of pm and sms we settled on a deal (while i was away on a tiny island in the middle of the indian ocean) and put this officially in the queue tonight after being delivered by @prowler (as always).

so this game is a major project but sometimes old (grail) games just scream out to be saved and this one did that..

this is what got my attention and got me hooked, a really nice original playfield.

backglass is hammered, no worries will buy backglass resto to send a new one with a current order..so will sell this one cheap for somebodies wall in their gamesroom http://bgresto.com/

you can see what i'm up against but cab will be stripped and fully rebuilt and resprayed..all the front will be replaced with new

plastics are okay and the main one has a bit missing and a crack but pinball rescue have them in their never ending production line of repro plastics

this sticker gives some of the history up and will be left on the game (sorry image wouldn't rotate)..so it was originally owned by hankin in newcastle (did they import new or second hand?) and made it to victoria where it has been for at least 20 years.

has hard to find original parts such as the original lockdown bar (many times replaced by the wider version from later), the metal flipper buttons which weren't used on a heap of gottlieb games from this period..though is missing the chimes <_<

so what happens now? she is officially in the queue..i have bought another project off tony turner from the @Pinball Shed from this stash

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/80616-Another-large-shipment-of-em-pinballs-arriving-soon-10

will have to wait and see what it is :cool: have to say if you're looking for a project wait until the rest start to become available, there are many games that simply are never available in australia and very clean titles..

will start to gather parts like a squirrel and have started to add some parts for this on my next pinball resource order.

Edited by illawarra_steelers

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony, your an amazing man. Your passion for these old pinballs is truly heartwarming. I admire anyone that spents quality time on restoring these older games, you become easily attached when you get them running and working 100%

I have spent most of the week working on a Fashion Show, Happy Clown and College Queen. What a great feeling trying to play these games with the small flippers and giant gap, it takes a very good player to master these old girls.

I hope to get a heap of them sorted out and sold off to new owners in the coming weeks and months.

This much love needs to be shared around.

That playfield does look in good nick , love the line of horse shoe drop targets . Tony you will no doubt bring her back to life i remember this game down the local milk bar i was in grade 2 or 3 ..:)

Lawman.

The pin that got me hooked on pinball as a kid. Not the first pin I ever played but the first one I played on a semi regular basis and could remember a bit about years later. Played it in a small take away/ mini mart (for want of a better term) opposite my first school in Canungra Queensland from about 1976 through until we moved in mid 1979. They eventually got a second pin that I don't remember anything about but Lawman never left during my early school years.

I could remember the stagecoach on the backglass and trying to keep the gate open on the right outlane. I was talking to my Dad one night about it and he remembered the row of drops down the left. Mentioned this to a collector I knew at the time and he picked it straight away. The next time I was there he had his Lawman set up and I got to play it for the first time in 20 years.

Anyway that's enough of my rambling :D

• 2 weeks later...

in between waiting for 2 more games to arrive this week and the next pinball resource order i'm kinda in limbo..so thought i'd start taking apart the playfield..flipped it over and my eyes nearly fell out of my head :lol

what is really amazing is there is no evidence on the top of the playfield, no paint loss or cracking :unsure

• 1 month later...

while the weather is still not conducive for painting starting pulling down the playfield today..i'm sure everybody that restores games often looks at the heap of junk infront of them

and wonder why did i buy this? well that ran through my head so many times..also not having the chimes inside the game, when i was told they were doesn't put a smile on my face

as they are tough to find :x

thankfully the playfield looks as though it has mylar applied since day 1 but doubt it has been cleaned since.

pulled up part of the fake wooden mylar and there is a contrast where it originally was so will have to remove just the top layer of mylar just above the rollovers

steve from backglass repro emailed yesterday to say he has just finished my repro glass, so she is coming along slowly.

http://bgresto.com/?p=123

Looks to be a great game Tony. I enjoy watching these threads and seeing your machines come back to life ! Looking at the IPDB the cabinet art looks fairly easy to replicate for repaint or stencil.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tony, all tucked away in the garage for now :) and I have decided to do this one next.

I have already sourced and bought the missing chime unit so the pin should be pretty much complete.

It's going to be the hardest ones that I've done to date mechanically wise, but at least I don't have to worry about fixing up the playfield and the backglass.

That backglass is very nice up close, never had a new one before :)

Thanks again :D

repro backglass arrived today..game and backglass into storage as i'm out of room (again) <_<

I have a half empty 20 foot shipping container on the farm sitting about 120Kms south west of you. Please don't do anything hasty with these gems when it is sitting there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Tony @illawarra_steelers, I hope you don't mind but i thought I would take over this thread and continue updates on the restoration (saves me starting a new one and repeating the history).

After I unloaded the cabinet from the car, the bottom basically fell out and the wood all round was in poor condition. I knew this was the case before purchasing and it is salvageable, but Tony gave me a lead on a replacement which I followed up. I contacted Milo @Thasaman, who is a very nice man :) , and he sold me a spare cabinet he had for next to nothing. The cabinet is ten times better than the one I have and will save me a lot of work and is very much appreciated.

I have also replaced the missing chime unit and have the playfield up on the rotisserie ready for work.

There are going to be a few challenges ahead for me in areas that I haven't work on before but thats how you learn :D

I'm going on holiday for a few weeks so there won't be any updates for awhile but just thought I would give a heads up to where I am at.

Edited by thejudge

• 1 month later...

I have now started on this project after a bit of a break and finally finishing off my Joker Poker.

I have finished removing the remaining bits and pieces from the playfield, and after giving it a quick clean, it looks like this.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p375/tjudge1959/Lawman/2017-04-21%2010.43.45_zpswystoh3m.jpg

There is fading of the colours, even though its under mylar, and this is evident around the pop bumpers. Not much I can do about it and hopefully it won't be that noticeable once the pop bump are put back on. Might need a coloured mylar ring around them hide the fading.

There are a few areas of concern, the first being the area around the posts. As can be seen here, there is wear in a larger area than is covered by the posts themselves. I don't have the original posts but it looks like they might have had a larger base than the repro ones? not sure.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p375/tjudge1959/Lawman/2017-04-21%2011.09.41_zpsnt9pmf2y.jpg

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p375/tjudge1959/Lawman/2017-04-21%2011.10.24_zps7tyi0khi.jpg

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p375/tjudge1959/Lawman/2017-04-21%2010.44.11_zps2rcxa1lf.jpg

This wear has happened for every post. I think painting it would look a bit tacky, so I might cover with a white mylar ring or something similar, have to think of the best way around it.

The second area of concern is this baby which you might remember from Tony's pics.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p375/tjudge1959/Lawman/2017-04-21%2010.55.32_zpsrf9y6q3d.jpg

I have removed a few mechs to fully view the extent of the issue. The burn wood is not a problem but the charring of the inserts is :(

Shining a light from behind shows that the 3, 4, 5 & 6 thousand inserts are buggered. 7 is passable.

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p375/tjudge1959/Lawman/2017-04-21%2011.14.04_zpstmlhojpw.jpg

These will have to be replaced, which will mean removing the mylar from the top, removing the inserts, inserting new inserts with recreated decals. Haven't had to do this before so I will have to do a bit of research to make sure to limit the affect on the playfield. Since I won't be clear coating the PF, they will have to be a flat as possible.

I have also started on the replacement cabinet, the overall cab is sturdy, just gluing together a few cracks here and there.

A long way to go.

Edited by thejudge

Sounds like quite a big job to remove the Mylar and take out the inserts to replace them, I'm not sure how bad the or how deep the charring goes but I was just thinking if it's not to deeply burnt in you may be able to use a cordless drill with spade bit the right size with the locating tip ground of and very carefully just take the burnt layer of thus making it able to let the light come through again, that is as long as it's not burnt in to deep even a bit of dowel with some cutting compound in the drill might work.

Just a thought anyway

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk