Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Popeye

robm

It is with great trepidation i write this post.....

I have bagged this game - had one for 6 months quite a few years ago, and thought it was an absolute dunger, as per general consensus. However got one dropped off that was pretty crusty for me to clean up and repair, and i have been playing it a fair bit since getting it going perfectly.

Its actually quite a good game - here is why in my opinion:

Quite a complex ruleset, with lots of strategy - spinach doubles scores, do you take a quick shot and get points, or leave it there for bigger points during multiball or to collect items

Prob one of the best mini playfields (except for TZ) - its quite big, and it integrates the maze on the DMD with shots to find sweet pea, also a few other targets, and a great EB shot

Massive range of shots: 13 from left to right (counting 3 bank of targets as 1 shot), plus all the extras on the mini playfield

Awesome flow from left loop to right ramp

Very good lighting - particularly when fighting Bluto

Playfields are almost always perfect (cause no one played them!)

Very satisfying 'mechanical sounds' - by this i mean some of the shots where they drop into a metal VUK - just sounds cool. A little bit like the camera shot in TZ - a really satisfying CLUNK

Multiball where you have to control the ball on the main and mini playfields at the same time to get max points.

Anyway, just thought it is worth giving often 'D' rated games a decent go - yes the mini playfield obscures the pop bumpers and the scoop, but i reckon the positives outweigh these negatives.

So if you bag this game - please make sure you have put at least 20 or 30 games on it before making a judgement like I did!

Never played it. At the end of the day it's what "you" like.

However I do use the ipdb to get the gist of the game.

Nice to hear something positive about a game that you still don't see for sale too often :)

Well Rob I think the sun has finally got the better of you. Give yourself an uppercut. :lol

I'm not sure you can keep Hulk now with a write up like that. I am guilty of spending time with Popeye in my youth and never liked it when comparing to other games......but I was a lot younger so maybe you are right. Nooooo your wrong. :rolleyes

I would love to play a Popeye. Not many out on site anywhere, though.

It's interesting what you say about shots that clunk. Steve Ritchie said in a video that the secret to a good pinball shot is that it has to have a satisfying 'clunk' sound when hit.