Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Jail Break PCB - almost working, help needed!

jond92

Question

Hi there. I'm hoping someone might be able to help with a problematic Jail Break PCB.

I've had this board for ages and it's always been rock-solid, no issues.

A few weeks ago it started intermittently resetting. Eventually it stopped working altogether, showing garbage on the screen, but strangely it would sometimes still work OK.

Upon reseating the CPU, everything seemed good again. But after a while it started doing odd things - the player character was stuck moving in a down-right direction, and the board still kept resetting.

Now it's back to showing garbage all the time :(

The board's in pretty good physical condition; the only thing I can see is some corrosion on top of the CPU. Is this the likely culprit?

I think the ROMs are OK because the game does a ROM check upon booting up and it was passing this OK on the times when it would decide to work.

Any advice/suggestions appreciated :)

P1014687.jpgP1014686.jpgP1014691.jpg

4 answers to this question

It is actually good news that it has progressed to be faulty most of the time, faults that come and go can be a pain to track down.

As Kane said, you need to ensure the 5V line is giving the board 5V, beyond that there are a few things I would hit up next, namely dumping ROMs, and then i would focus on the Fujitsu TTL ICs and the RAM.

The pitting on the custom chip isn't an issue, unless it is indicative of corrosion elsewhere.