Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

240 to 110v tranny wattage question

Tazmanian

Question

13 answers to this question

That is without load, however the tranny has signs of water damage, it was stored in a shed for a couple of years, not a good shed. Was tested by a friend who is a sparky. I would rather replace it than take a risk of damaging other components. I just need the wattage of these beasts to replace it.

Also that was with the mains plugged directly into the input side

If it does output a voltage then all is not lost. Clean up all the terminals and wire connections. Then give it a good rub over with a wire brush to remove any rust, scale etc. Next place it in an oven well below 100 degrees and heat it through for at least an hour. The idea is to heat the laminations to remove any moisture, but not melt the insulation. It will smell a bit. Remove it from the oven wearing gloves then allow it to cool, perhaps overnight or all day. Once cool, get your sparky mate to test it again. I'd almost bet my left nut it will be ok.

Whole different story if it was shorted or open circuit. But the condition you describe and the fact that it does output a voltage gives me hope that the above mentioned method will work.

Damn, if I was building a computer and had these results I would not be even thinking about using the PS, but with the responses I am getting it makes me think that I might as well just hook the existing bugger up and see what happens. Waiting on a new switching power supply & will give things a go when that arrives

Thanks for the replies.

Damn, if I was building a computer and had these results I would not be even thinking about using the PS, but with the responses I am getting it makes me think that I might as well just hook the existing bugger up and see what happens. Waiting on a new switching power supply & will give things a go when that arrives

Thanks for the replies.

If you have ready access to cheap transformers then why stink up your oven and make you wife's biscuits taste funny

I would doubt the transformer reqd would be greater than 200W

Any chance you can remove the active or neutral output wire and put in series a multi meter thus measuring the amps, with it connected so as to have a load or you won't get a reading. Knowing your amp draw will determine what wattage transformer you need. Then personally I would double it.

Do you have a fuse in the circuit?

I was just going to say that. Is there a fuse on the 240v side of the transformer? If so multiply the Amps on the fuse by the 240 v and go a bit higher in Watts. So if it's a 1A fuse 1A x 240v is 240w so go for a 300w transformer.

Trev

I was just going to say that. Is there a fuse on the 240v side of the transformer? If so multiply the Amps on the fuse by the 240 v and go a bit higher in Watts. So if it's a 1A fuse 1A x 240v is 240w so go for a 300w transformer.

Trev

The only fuses in there are 1 on the distro box & 2 more on the chassis. I am going to connect everything up once I get this house warmed up a bit ;) See what lights up, what doesn't & even try hooking a spare LCD monitor I have into the game board. Run everything up the flag pole, so to speak, and see what salutes back at me LOL

I guess I was thinking that there would have been a lot of old junked cabinets out there with the same original setup & people may have had a few of these transformers laying around gathering dust. Modern ones are very different to the old ones. The switching power supply is cheap, but these things can get quite expensive because they are mainly produced now to allow people to run American appliances off 240v