Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 28 - Game 1 ~ Galaga ~ [FINISHED]

i set myself a target of 100k, hopefully i pass that this weekend.

That sounds like a good and achieveable plan ... problem is if you do, what score will you aim for over the next two weeks? ... :rolleyes

gala0034.png.f86194490da6897d9312d7e47e87638a.png

2 games first up that definitely would suck with the % system as we have 2 legends on these games

Sheesh :rolleyes - do I have to do the sums for every comp 'til the day I die to demonstrate that it wont make any difference. Will you guys ever learn :p

2 games first up that definitely would suck with the % system as we have 2 legends on these games

2 games and 200K is good!

Time to play and improve if you want ... new PBs ... it's up to you.

I thought everyone who plays in the MGL is a legend. That I am certain.

And I am sure you can play a game better than the other "2 legends" ... so let's see, as there are 8 other games to go.

:)

2 games and 200K is good!

Time to play and improve if you want ... new PBs ... it's up to you.

I thought everyone who plays in the MGL is a legend. That I am certain.

And I am sure you can play a game better than the other "2 legends" ... so let's see, as there are 8 other games to go.

That was my first game. I meant that the 2 games in play have 2 great players who can score massively on them. But Oh well game on.

Sheesh :rolleyes - do I have to do the sums for every comp 'til the day I die to demonstrate that it wont make any difference. Will you guys ever learn :p

Nah not all. We appreciate the fact you've done the sums etc, but as someone else said it makes a difference to how many play a few more games.

I'm not a threat anyhow for a top 3 position, just enjoy playing the games

That was my first game. I meant that the 2 games in play have 2 great players who can score massively on them. But Oh well game on.

That they, and many others, in this game, may ... however it is only one game padawan ... eight to go ... "you must unlearn what you have learned".

You ... can ... do ... it!

No "oh well game on", only do! - Yoghurt

No drama :), my comments are a bit tongue in cheek but i do believe the numbers demonstrate it makes no material difference to positions or number of plays. I don't have the data to back up the number of plays theory and it's only anecdote to make any claim either way on this and as a statistics lecturer I had used to say "The plural of anecdote is not data"

Going to take part in the frivolity this time. This comp will force me to get better at this game at least, sick of being beaten by my wife!

151190. Highest score I've ever gotten.

image.thumb.jpg.4bff108c7c6b9c51ae055e74dae5b4f0.jpg

Going to take part in the frivolity this time.

Yes, why not ... :tomato

This comp will force me to get better at this game at least, sick of being beaten by my wife!

That's a good thing ... :062:

151190. Highest score I've ever gotten.

Very nice ... and more you can score too ... you've just started ... http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Pacman_Machine_zpsb3b61f58.gif

But these two games in particular do provide a good example of the downside of the % system. Yes the overall results for the competition as a whole won't change much with any scoring system, but using this point system and the one we used in the last MGL means that people will still play these games instead of going "why bother?"

That sounds like a good and achieveable plan ... problem is if you do, what score will you aim for over the next two weeks? ... :rolleyes

I set the 100k when i scored 60, so it sounded like a good target. after that I'll go up in 50k lots i guess,

i don't know the challenge stages past the first couple, so i'm going to need time, will see what happens :D

But these two games in particular do provide a good example of the downside of the % system.

You guys keep fishing and I'll keep nibbling :)

Yes the overall results for the competition as a whole won't change much with any scoring system, but using this point system and the one we used in the last MGL means that people will still play these games instead of going "why bother?"

I don't think this claim can be backed up - it's just speculation. You could just as easily say under any system if a player is a gazillion game points ahead then "why bother?" which leads to less game play.

What you can say with absolute certainty is that playing with a percentage system anyone who improves their individual game score will improve their overall score. If positions are close they may also improve their overall position. if playing with a discrete points system unless they beat the next higher player then nothing changes.

Look, quite a while back I advocated for a change in system because we were using a system where players at the tail end received nothing - I didn't think this was right and faced opposition to change as some were rusted on to the old system and ways. I did some analysis, which I quite enjoy and presented some fact based comment to back my beliefs - I'm all for it and for any discussion, but I do like to see some method of substantiating claims and statements.

Fortunately MGL has grown in all ways and any system that rewards / recognises all who play is fine by me, as is discussion on any and all systems.

But these two games in particular do provide a good example of the downside of the % system. Yes the overall results for the competition as a whole won't change much with any scoring system, but using this point system and the one we used in the last MGL means that people will still play these games instead of going "why bother?"

Yep, I agree with this. In the % system For each of the current games that came up first would be massive points to the winner, and bugger all for everyone else. But in the new system you know you can get reasonably close on overall points battling with all the other also-rans.

- - - Updated - - -

Look, quite a while back I advocated for a change in system because we were using a system where players at the tail end received nothing - I didn't think this was right and faced opposition to change as some were rusted on to the old system and ways.

always in the MGL rules, or scoring changes like these are put to the players. When we first brought in the 'racing' points system it was put to the vote, voted in. When the % system was brought back again, to the vote. Booting it out, again, the vote. The popular opinion will always win :)

What you can say with absolute certainty is that playing with a percentage system anyone who improves their individual game score will improve their overall score. If positions are close they may also improve their overall position. If playing with a discrete points system unless they beat the next higher player then nothing changes.

I agree with these comments, you can improve your score with any increase in %.

It may seem "pointless" ... :laugh: under incremental depending on the gap above, however you need to also look below for those who will pass you ... :run:.

However see my comment at the end of this post for my overall opinion ...

Look, quite a while back I advocated for a change in system because we were using a system where players at the tail end received nothing - I didn't think this was right and faced opposition to change as some were rusted on to the old system and ways.
Agree with you, it stank and needed improvement. (Your effort is worth nothing - BS!)

John73 agreed with a few other members to change to % and we made another improvement to the MGL.

-------------------------------------------------

IMO:

Members recently asked for an improvement and a change to the incremental system, and maybe this is a good thing ...

1st place at 5 million is 100 points and 2nd place at 100K is 99 points. Only 1 point difference despite the massive score difference and the competition remains close.

Then throw in Fire_Power scores 200K and 2nd now goes down to 3rd with 98 points. It's still close ... watch out above and below on the scoreboard.

My logic says the % and incremental systems are not the same. If they were, the equations for calculation could be mathematically proven to be identical, 100% no difference.

However as Fire_Power and some others have proven in a case by case MGL analysis, the results between both systems are very similar, but they are not exactly the same. So if very similar and the members like the incremental system (well for now), then so be it ...

Impressions in life are very important! ... (eg the closeness on the scoreboard and "how good looking someone thinks they are with that hat on" ... :028:)

Set the wayback machine for 2 years ago and MGL 21 Game 1. Willow. 1st place 100%, 2nd place 4.59%, most others 1% or less. People said I had it won already due to the 95%+ lead. Game 2. Puzzle Bobble 2. Crashed back to reality with 13% and dropped to 4th after the last game. Not sure how the current system or MotoGP scoring would've effected things but that's irrelevant really. That was then, this is now.

Goes to prove anything can happen with an unfavorable run of games.

Enough of my random Sunday morning ramblings. Got some Galaga to play. ;)

IMG_3370.JPG.83c21a033d5cdc94372f74da63d60ece.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg.fe8e7a90f7277f08a8852761d10914bf.jpg

I have been using my cocktail mostly of late, running Arcade SD board.

'Dips' (if you'd call them that) set as in picture.

If this isn't OK, I'll go back to mame cab for MGL..

Agree with you, it stank and needed improvement. (Your effort is worth nothing - BS!)

John73 agreed with a few other members to change to % and we made another improvement to the MGL.

I call BS on this statement 'it stank and needed improvement'. This was before your time here in the MGL, and the racing points system was brought in on a vote, but it was suitable at the time - for the amount of players. Once MGL grew, clearly it was no longer a suitable system for the amount of players so the % system came back in.

What was brought in last MGL by John was a mod of the racing system, that makes it even closer, yet allows for more players. I for one hope to never see the % system back again :)

I'm all for it and for any discussion, but I do like to see some method of substantiating claims and statements.

I like to make wild unsubstantiated claims based on nothing more than a quick whim at the time and unhindered by the restraints of facts, logic or research, it's fun :cool:

I like to make wild unsubstantiated claims based on nothing more than a quick whim at the time and unhindered by the restraints of facts, logic or research, it's fun :cool:

Then you'll fit right in around here :lol :lol :lol

If that's not a PB it's pretty close. Need Barra to explain to me how to stop getting trapped in the bloody sides of the screen which is where I losts almost all my lives I think.

Don't go to the sides :P

PS nice score :)