Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

1986 Toyota Corolla Speedo Repair help

Ryan555

The speedo on my AE82 Corolla has had a very minor shaking needle at certain speeds sometimes for the past few years, however on Sunday the speedo started making a loud noise (gear skipping sound?) and the needle is shaking all the time at speeds above 40Km/h. I have been looking on the web for any info I also have Gregory's service manual which gives basic info on how to take the instrument cluster out. It mentions I have to take out the steering wheel!

I haven't found too much info on the web. This panel is similar.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/102-1st-2nd-generation-1983-1986-1987-1991/692177-instrument-cluster-repair-renewal.html

Does anyone have any info on what the fault could be? Is there gears that need regreasing? Is it something that could be an easy fix or would it need to be sent away for repair?

it could be the gear on the end of the cable in the gearbox or if it has a small extension cable near the gearbox it could be a broken cable there too but if it is the speedo head then yes you will have to take the wheel off then the plastic surround comes off with four screws (I think from memory) then the dash cluster comes out as one unit with the removal of another four screws when pulling the cluster out pull the cluster to one side to remove wires and speedo cable

Some of these older cars the inner cable was originally greased at the factory but after 3 decades and god knows how many KM's there is a good chance that original grease has turned to gunk. Some cables you can remve the inner from the top behind the speedo head and other's down at the gearbox after removing the drive gear. give it a good clean, apply the lightest of smears of grease and re-insert.

I'd bet your's comes out from the speedo end and you may be lucky enough to disconnect the cable from up under the dash without removing the whole cluster.

Just a thought as it costs buggerall to check yourself before spending money on new cables, speedo repairs etc.

Thanks for the info, reading the repair manual it seems that can remove the cable without removing the whole cluster, not sure how easy it is going to be. Not sure how to undo the cable as I don't know how the retaining clip is held in. I looked at the other end of the cable were it goes into the engine (centre plug in pic) and the rubber grommet is really stiff and does not budge easily. It is hard working from the top might be easier from the bottom but I will try that another time.

IMG_0500.thumb.jpg.6fb1af0a6eecedf2c47686bea414d9e0.jpg

IMG_0502.thumb.jpg.4771f520021c32df54832273a5084ef8.jpg

• 9 months later...

If the retaining clip at the speedo cluster isn't correctly seated & 'locked in' it can cause a shaky needle also.

It will be a tough job to remove the cable from the cluster without removing the trim around the cluster,

as the cable usually runs through a hole in the top of the pedal box.

Also, the only way to get the necessary clearance to access the cluster connection is to first disconnect the cable from the trans.

This will give you the slack needed to pull the cluster towards you & disconnect the speedo cable.

IF the cable does not release when you push the retainer's button, push the fitting towards the cluster with one hand & then push the button with your other.

The cable 'should' then come away easily.

Thanks for the info, the speedo is sort of behaving for now. I got a neighbour to help me remove the cable at both ends and we also greased the cable. Putting the screws back in the dash and all the plastic clips broke. If it gets really bad again I will take alook at it. The speedo is still spot on for the speed reading.