Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

40" \ 26" \ 15.6" virtual pinball build

Around about a year ago, I was reading some forums and came across a virtual pinball machine, which I didnt even know was a thing! So anyway after a few weeks of reading up on it, I got really inspired and decided I had to build one (though I didn't know where I was going to put it!)

I used to have a real pinball but sold it around 3 years ago when i moved house, so I was really hoping to get that machine (Magic Castle by Zaccaria) and play it again in virtual form!

I had heaps of spare stuff lying around in the way of PC parts, timber and TVs, because I like to build arcade machines etc so I got started. I roughly sketched up what i wanted and just sort of winged it, which is what I do. Of course i made a few mistakes, but fixed them along the way. I designed the main body to be a standard pinball cabinet width so I could use a standard lockdown bar, which meant I routed the sides to fit the 40" TV I had and it worked out perfectly. The cabinet is shorter than a standard pinball due to the size of the TV. I ordered the metal parts "off the shelf" for a standard body pinball (lockdown bar, side rails, legs etc, as there was no way of me making these things and it looking "proper".

The back box I designed the exact width of the (decased) samsung 26" TV I used. The 15.6" wide screen LCD I used for the DMD turned out to have a laptop panel in it, which made things even easier for me and I'm very happy with how that came out. I just made up some little brackets to screw into the sides of the panel and then screwed it to the DMD panel. I used some 4" speakers I had spare (I'm still not sure if I will change them or maybe put some grills on) and connected them to a creative labs 2.1 system which was also a spare I had and the sound is very good.

I put in a sliding tray for the PC for maintenance because I had seen other people do it and thought it was a great idea. The PC gear I had was good enough, except I had to get a SSD and a better video card (which is still not great). I think the specs are roughly:

Core i5, 3.2Ghz

4Gb RAM

128Gb SSD

Nvidia GTX570

I ended up ordering a plunger kit from Virtuapin because I was keen on the idea of nudging, and overall have been happy with it. the only issue I have with it is that it doesnt work every second boot and i have to press the little reset button on it, exit hyperpin and go back in for it to start working, but once working it performs well.

I also had an LEDWiz spare from a previous jukebox project that I took out when I sold it, so thought it was a perfect opportunity to use that to add some RGB LEDs along the back of the playfield and a strobe. I am still undecided about adding extra toys.

For the power, I used a bunch of parts I have laying around and made up a system that had a 4 way powerboard for constant power, and another that was switched on and off with the PC using a 12v relay. The 15.6" has to have constant power, but both of the samsungs have the option of setting them to power on automatically and switch input after power loss.

Anyway, enough of my ranting on, i have attached a few photos.

IMG_3551.thumb.jpg.e0b738f9414c6b2cf399eabbb0e91ea2.jpg522246095_IMG_3815(2).JPG.dd10c4cdfb8e3da6ea3b0222d02d0bef.JPGIMG_3831.thumb.jpg.0af94c654f6df5857e0295cbc8b546c8.jpgIMG_3843.thumb.jpg.a7812397435df4dafcbc2a35de00a11d.jpgIMG_3927.thumb.jpg.5ae5ee1c21db1bce39c00bfd55ff0d3d.jpgIMG_7238.JPG.21ffaaa9f84fb6288888811da2fd1b5a.JPGIMG_7247.jpg.fd4834091ffab16ddab62b1ca2de0ed4.jpgIMG_7248.jpg.f9a8064f7e6a2420a95d126173c36242.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93788[/ATTACH]

Dunno if this power board from bunnings, as mentioned by @OzStick in another post somewhere, is an alternative to what you've already done :unsure

You mention your DMD needs constant power so maybe that can be your 1 x constantly on and the rest run as slaves via the 1 x master :unsure

Disclaimer: I know Sweet FA when it comes to wiring and electronics

Dunno if this power board from bunnings, as mentioned by @OzStick in another post somewhere, is an alternative to what you've already done :unsure

You mention your DMD needs constant power so maybe that can be your 1 x constantly on and the rest run as slaves via the 1 x master :unsure

Disclaimer: I know Sweet FA when it comes to wiring and electronics

Yeah those power boards a are a great idea, and I just went with what I made because it does the same thing and didn't cost me anything!

As I have it set up now, the PC and the DMD have constant power and when I switch on the PC it powers up the rest of the devices (speakers, play field monitor, back glass monitor, 12v power supply). When I switch off the PC it all goes off and the DMD puts itself into standby and goes off until it gets a signal again. (It's a PC monitor)

- - - Updated - - -

Great post. Love the pics and info. I look forward to the build

Thanks mate, it's already built, all it really needs is art and maybe other feedback devices, though I need convincing on that still!

very neat, nice job ! ahhhhh Magic Castle, i've got one i've only had a couple months but really like it. The Vpin Version of Magic Castle is OK, but the active backglass in VP doesn't have the cool EM backglass feature of the original.

it's funny how you build a vpin cause you want to play a particular table. i did it for the same reason, but for me it was Joker Poker.

Thanks jed, yeah I haven't found a good version of Magic Castle yet, they are all a bit lacking in one way or another. Since building the vpin I have developed a great love for Attack from Mars. I think I might make it my cabinet artwork.

Thanks jed, yeah I haven't found a good version of Magic Castle yet, they are all a bit lacking in one way or another. Since building the vpin I have developed a great love for Attack from Mars. I think I might make it my cabinet artwork.

I agree, AFM is one of the most lovingly reproduced DMD pins in VP. it's a great game, the artwork is cool too.

if you are looking for other really nice, and fun DMD VP reproductions.....I'd recommend Monster Bash, Metallica, Addams Family, Indiana Jones, STTNG, WH20, BSD, CV, Scared Stiff. All really fun, but also look and play great. Some great pins never have really got a decent version yet - TOM, MM, TZ, LOTR. Maybe MM is decent but I dunno... bash castle, bash castle, bash castle, bash castle, bash castle :)

I agree, AFM is one of the most lovingly reproduced DMD pins in VP. it's a great game, the artwork is cool too.

if you are looking for other really nice, and fun DMD VP reproductions.....I'd recommend Monster Bash, Metallica, Addams Family, Indiana Jones, STTNG, WH20, BSD, CV, Scared Stiff. All really fun, but also look and play great. Some great pins never have really got a decent version yet - TOM, MM, TZ, LOTR. Maybe MM is decent but I dunno... bash castle, bash castle, bash castle, bash castle, bash castle :)

Absolutely, thanks for the tips, MM is another favorite but it's not quite as polished as AFM. I'll check out some of those suggestions cheers!

• 3 months later...
Absolutely, thanks for the tips, MM is another favorite but it's not quite as polished as AFM. I'll check out some of those suggestions cheers!

Hi Mate, awesome build, where did you source all of your cabinet parts, glass, legs, lock bard side rails etc..?

Thanks

Konrad

• 6 months later...