Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Star Trek TNG Pinball - buyer questions

I am considering purchasing my first ever pin. What sort of questions should I be asking the seller? Should the rubbers be new/replaced? Play field waxed? Bumper tension? Play field angle?

I am looking at ~5000-7000 $USD for a range.

Any help greatly appreciated!

You are planning on importing a game from the USA?

Don't

There are dealers here who can sell you a game

I am by no means an expert and there are plenty of people around who know more than I do, but I think the most important this is that all the switches and mechanical features of the game work.

Stuff like old rubbers and a dirty playfield might be an indicator of how well the game is looked after, but the way i see it is that cleaning and replacing rubbers is part of the hobby.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to look up common issues for that particular game and make sure those parts are working. Try to find out if any parts are rare or hard to get and make sure they are in okay condition.

Go into the menu and see if there are any errors.

Biggest 2 things with STTNG error wise would be check the cannons all work and opto switches in them (has a wiring harness that goes down through playfield that can rub and break wires - its not that hard to repair, just takes some time), and the trough optos all work. Replacement boards are available, but may add some cost.

Other than that, the green sheild inserts can move a little, and wear can ve around the neutral zone hole.

At US5000-7000 it would want to be pretty nice (i am not up to US prices), i recently sold mine that had an almost perfect playfield, all LEDs, new rubbers and balls and very nice cabinet for $4300

Great Game.

7000 would want to be mint condition with extras in Australian market.

Rob M is on the money with the common problems.

I always try and look at the physical condition beneath any dirt / grime, If you'r prepared to put a little time pulling apart and cleaning you can save heaps.

In the test menu, you can cycle through the lights and coils to check if they are working, there should also probably be error messages if any switches aren't working. A single light / switch is likely just the device itself, if there is a matrix row or column out then there's probably a bigger problem such as a faulty transistor on the driver board.

There are now reproduction borg ships, shuttles and cannons available which is nice. It's common to also replace the klingon ship with the hallmark christmas ornament which looks better and has lights, I did this with the Romulan ship too but this requires modifications to the hallmark ornament.

Maybe also have a look at the out lanes and check if they are the original ones or aftermarket extended ones, this is personal preference.