Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Build a Fiberglass Mould from a Plastic Panel?

Anything is possible, just depends on the tools and skills available to you.

Some equipment for this stuff can be expensive. As an example we would all like a CAD cutter to knock out cabinets but to hard to have a home one :(

Will be interested to see what others have to say.

I remember somebody on here built their own Plastic Vacuum Forming machine.

The tools and raw materials aren't a problem... just the skills! Worried that the fiberglass chemicals will melt the plastic.

I have had it suggested to me elsewhere to build a shallow timber box, fill it with plaster of paris, then dip the plastic into it. Wait for it to set, remove the plastic, then there's the mold. Thoughts? PoP also gets hot while setting doesn't it?

Also, if you're looking into CNC stuff, have a look at X-Carve from Inventables. Great price for a reasonably large bed (800x800mm).

EDIT: Until it gets caught up in customs...

If you go down the path of a plaster mold, use a spray on release agent to the plastic or you may find it rather difficult to remove the panel from the plaster mold. This also applies when forming the new part. Spray the mold with the release agent first.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

done this before. most times i would just use a good masking tape or tinfoil to cover the thing your making a mold of, depending on what it is and how many your want to make off the mold then maybe use some mdf or ply for some reinforcing

making a proper mold is a lot of work and IMO only worth doing if your planing on making lots and lots

Thanks guys. I might reconsider the need for a mold.

I'm actually trying to fix this panel. You can see the damage in the top left corner of the side panel.

Any suggestions on repairing this?

519bf5a41a_ga.jpeg.82bd3bc70dad4f5c1cba93880485d7d8.jpeg

Thanks guys. I might reconsider the need for a mold.

I'm actually trying to fix this panel. You can see the damage in the top left corner of the side panel.

Any suggestions on repairing this?

Fibreglass it from the inside to the rough shape on the outside

Then bog and paint the outside

You can fill the hole with plasticine from the outside before fibreglassing so that the shape is pretty right for the fibreglass

• 8 months later...

That panel is vacuum formed. That's not to say a replacement couldn't be made from fibreglass or something else.

Try a small (hidden) spot with your chosen repair method to make sure it works and will adhere to the plastic as many plastics used for vacuum forming don't glue well - some not at all.

Making a mould for that would be a very complex exercise indeed.