Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Gottlieb EM Score problem

Plong

Question

1968 spin wheel. The player 1 score control relay aa is getting red hot and machine is not scoring on any of the 1 point switches.I have founds some eos switches on the score reels with the long leaf gone. Not sure if this is the cause. Checked all 1 point switches on playfield all are open. Looking for some help as I have been going in circles for hours now.

20 answers to this question

there is a 1 point switch either closed or their associated wiring are shorting.

check the 4 player unit in the head for proper adjustment of the switch (obviously for the 1st player)

if it's only on the 1st player game (and not on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th player) it will be the 4 player unit.

Thanks for the responses so far. Rich not sure when this problem arose machine was at a 60s themed Barber shop and I went in to check on it, it was turned off so turned it on and discovered the problems then.

Tony and Gemini Would I be wrong in thinking the 1 point relay should be pulled in if there is a switch stuck as its not and if I activate it manually it adds 1 point and the bell rings. Just ran the machine through 4 players and Problems are the same for 1 2 3 And 4 players. How hot would the player relays normally get as they are bloody hot to touch if you don't play the ball for a few minutes? Everything else is working as it should. All the things that change from 1 pt to 10 pts score when on 10. Also Tony not sure what I should be looking for on the player unit. Sorry if this sounds a bit convoluted but I am trying to paint a picture.

Really just reiterating, turn your game on and if the 1 point relay pulls in you will most likely have a closed pair of 1 point scoring contacts on the playfield.

Check where the wires are soldered onto the tags as one or more may have been bent and are now touching resulting in a short.

Maybe just a rubber too tight.

On a Gottlieb Picnic I had this same problem but it was intermittent.

As a result of a warped playfield plastic and one of the contacts leafs being too long it was catching on the plastic ever so slightly and not able to open.

The machine does not register a point on start up and the 1 point relay does not pull in at any stage. Basically when you activate a 1 point switch nothing happens at all. But when the 1 point feature like the rollovers,pops and slings are 10 points when lit they function fine.

I'm confused.....so none of the 1 point switches when closed are pulling in the relay and the 1 point coil is heating up without it pulling in?

If this statement comes back true Richie, I'd start suspecting-

a/ Wrong coil type.

b/ Wired incorrectly, a mistakes been made.

c/ Wiring has been hacked.

d/ The reel 1 point coil is stuffed as well as a jammed 1 point switch, holding in the 1 point relay.

D/ is my favorite.

..just thinking about this again..would be worth checking (and lightly cleaning) the score motor swithes that reset and control the 1 and 10 point..they will be marked with a yellow sticker with a black 4..off the top of my head it will be the stack on the lower right of the motor in the lower cab..

if you're unsure of this paul, i'll sms you a photo after work tomorrow.

also, what's the story of the game? this title rarely comes up..love the backglass art on this game.

L

..just thinking about this again..would be worth checking (and lightly cleaning) the score motor swithes that reset and control the 1 and 10 point..they will be marked with a yellow sticker with a black 4..off the top of my head it will be the stack on the lower right of the motor in the lower cab..

if you're unsure of this paul, i'll sms you a photo after work tomorrow.

also, what's the story of the game? this title rarely comes up..love the backglass art on this game.

Ok thanks Tony I will check and clean the relavent switches you mentioned. Not sure which ones you mean but I will check the schematic. I brought this machine off Mark C about 10 months ago . One of his container fillers I think from Europe as its a German delivered machine a non working project. Got it home did what was needed to get it working %100 did some touch ups on the playfield,cleaned and waxed and left in in the shed for 6 months as not enough room in the games room. Then put it in a 60s themed barber shop for 3 months. Now I have these problems. Fun game and your right the backglass is great ash tray and all.

Me being confused is because I don't read very well, too fast and fail to take everything in, @Plong you clearly state in you first post that the aa relay is getting red hot, my apologies.

I sent you a pm days ago asking what suburb you live in and haven't heard back from you.....if you are nearish I would be happy to come around and help sort it out :)

Hey all I finally got my problems sorted.After taking on board everyone's advice And still not solving the 1 point scoring issue I went back and checked the basic things and it turned out to be a broken winding on the 1 point relay. When I tested it with the mm I must have sat the probe right at the brake because it tested OK a week ago. The over heating aa relay coil seems to have been caused by grooves in a couple of rivets on the player ball count Unit unsure how. But I soldered them up and reflattened them and all seems good(Thanks Tony).