Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×

It was privilege to be given this from a member here who does fantastic restorations himself (search for Carousel Horse resto)

This playfield must be the oldest I've worked on, was more of a Preservation and restoration in one.

Anyway enjoy.

BEFORE

23976655381_2928374736_o.jpg

24059269135_e22fafb09b_o.jpg

23432484383_ede684118a_o.jpg

24059279905_b085cb6c02_o.jpg

24033162526_5d79679bd7_o.jpg

23431047094_0dab386c47_o.jpg

23763615870_3def265c69_o.jpg

After Photos

23951142402_da1a0af2de_o.jpg

23691480209_d43ede74cd_o.jpg

23431089154_1a58a4af06_o.jpg

23763658030_62a2b3f316_o.jpg

24059428085_2e31a070cf_o.jpg

Video to come later.

I'll send you an email tonight to let you know when i can pick it up,

great job on what was an utterly rooted playfield.

when I picked up this game the ply wood playfield was DE-laminating, I needed to reglue much of the veneers and clamp in a jig till glue dried.

that was the structure side on my end,

So you can only imagine what sort of condition the play-field graphics were in before I handed this over to Scott, the top veneer was still wrinkly from repaired delimitation,

The screen printing was lifting, it was faded badly, Mold in the paint, the gold was blotchy from the original clear turned to a complete powdery mess, plus a bunch of other sins that needed work.

he also made a repair on the shooter lane that I forgot todo.

It was as close to rooted as you can get.

what he has done isnt amateur stuff, it was serious work and needed a stupid amount of understanding of paints to know how to repair such a playfield of this age and condition

Great result and thank you for your help in what is a big chunk and vital piece of my restoration

and im glad I sent it to the right bloke

Its a 1936 machine that had a thin coat of oil based lacquer over the top.. now its a repainted over cleared ( CC - Really?) eyesore.. and is that your own label under the CC on bottom RHS? repaint and not cut in around text "LONE STAR" etc.

Such a shame the Smithsonian approach was ignored.

Completely disagree here... you cannot possibly call this preservation or restoration..

- - - Updated - - -

Its a 1936 machine that had a thin coat of oil based lacquer over the top.. now its a repainted over cleared ( CC - Really?) eyesore.. and is that your own label under the CC on bottom RHS? repaint and not cut in around text "LONE STAR" etc.

Completely disagree here... you cannot possibly call this preservation or restoration..

Now I hope you feel better slagging of my work I do for a hobby and something I enjoy.

I won't let your berating / belittling put a damper on what I enjoy.,

Or is it a way to drum up business for yourself to slag off other peoples work, unprofessional indeed. But bravo for letting me / us know how you feel about this.

The Smithsonian thing is cool, but we all have our ways. I just love that we are all preserving these pieces of art. If you had a 57 Chev would you rather it look like a dog or be beautiful once again. I love this pin. WELL DONE.

Now seeing this is my playfield, Id like to comment, If you looked at this restoration before hand you would understand better.

this game was a rotten pile of whiteanted wood.

I preserve as much as I can In a majority of restorations, infact I only restore rooted games.

Now I did asses this Playfield before sending it off to @Savage and If It original or with a simple lacquer I would have but it was stuffed,eg swollen, delamintated, mold ridden white ant ridden and not completely fu-ked , the way this playfield was It would not have made it past the end of the decade. it was barely holding together as it was, it was so brittle.

this playfield needed modern ways to stay alive. both Scott and I discussed this.

If I could have got away with a lacquer I would have done that, but the truth is the ball didnt even roll down this playfield due to uneveness in the veneers and cracking, it didnt even shoot up the shooter lane because it is was so stuffed. Now 90% of the art was saved, it is now kept under the CC, and lets put it this way, this game will last another 80 years now compared to maybe 5 years as it was before.

This game was past it, you cannot have something as rooted as this with a bit of lacquer and on rotten legs with rotten playfield

this game looked like this.

and I wish I had a picture of the rott and splitting of veneers in the playfield so i can show you, I was able to slip my hands between the veneers to apply the glue before it went into the press jig, now his emblem It actually sits under a wooden apron that is screwed to the play-field, it will probably never see the light of day again.

you maybe able to see the rott at the back of the playfield on this picture, I cant find pictures of the extent of the damage.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]87078[/ATTACH]

The 2pak clear Scott applied will keep any moisture from sinking into the wood, he fixed cracks that were not only aesthetically ugly but potentially problematic to the top veneer and game play, he did touchups to the art that were damaged from veneer cracks but also usage, he also removed a bad paint over from a bad touchup that covered ALAMO, there was also mold in the paint that was rectified by his work. there was no other way to fix these combined problems than by using modern techniques and if left this history would be gone forever.

Every effort was made to keep as much of the original art work as possible which is allot of salvaging. There is still imperfections that were purposely left that indicate age and usage that meant this was as much a preservation as it was a restoration, just anything that was problematic was repaired and protected under the clear coat so it could last many more decades, nothing more nothing less

pinball1930sbad.jpg.230ee6153f6117616369e6f56bc56d6d.jpg

Edited by jason1

Ouch.. and they reckon im blunt ;-) ...to be honest i agreed with you the first several times i looked at it... its not to my taste at all.. looks like a tacky, overdone tart in bad makeup... its not in character with the machine at all.

but looking at it much more closely ( the delaminated pf story etc) .. a coat of ice was probably the only way to save it? I'd love to hear more about the laminate repair if you have any pics or tips jason? I have a sittin pretty thats done the same thing and I have no real idea how to fix it.

your machine, you did it your way ... personally i hate it but so what? its not mine..

wait till its put together with its parts before going over the top Wiredoug with the harsh comments

the only difference is this is a 2pac cc instead of a lacquer CC from factory,

Remember this was done to save a play-field not to be wanky for the sake of it

there is allot of wood and big polished alloy parts that goes on this playfield, that will tone down the ClearCoat by allot

the colors are from the 1930's so your dislike would be more at the design and era of this pinball,

Edited by jason1

- - - Updated - - -

Now I hope you feel better slagging of my work I do for a hobby and something I enjoy.

I won't let your berating / belittling put a damper on what I enjoy.,

Or is it a way to drum up business for yourself to slag off other peoples work, unprofessional indeed. But bravo for letting me / us know how you feel about this.

I don't do restoration work for other people anymore... haven't done for about 4 years now. So no, my post wasn't a way of drumming up business for myself.

It was an 80 year old playfield that now looks like it sprang from the DMD era. The work was not sympathetic to the game at all and if my post makes someone else think twice before going down this path on such an old game, then it's a post that will find its own merit.

Subsequent replies state that a CC was the only way to go on this. I cant make that call as I didn't see the PF beforehand. But that is an awful lot of CC with a high gloss finish. There are ways to do this so the finish is more akin to that of the original.

Restoration means you work in "whispers" and the work should be invisible or at worst very hard to spot.

If we accept that due to delamination that a total repaint and ton of CC was required then why wasn't the text finished or surrounding colour blended to suit?

Im sure there is not a pinhead on any forum that hasn't been irritated by a dealers sticker or pricing sticker on an apron so why you would put one on a PF and seal it in is beyond me. Surely a better approach would have been to put one on the underside as a note of who did the work?

Let's just agree to disagree.

I personally think it looks great, so to anyone else that has seen it in person.

It's like doing up a car fo you keep the patina or repair and respray it.

I know what I prefer and its not panting.

There's budgets to work with and I did a lot of extras at no cost, that bottom part you point out in the wording I was in two minds about. That is how it was before I got it, albeit less noticeable and my coloring and fades are at the top.

But I'm not going to argue, those that don't like it, and those that do show their appreciation, many many hours went into this. None of it was easy.

You seen hung up on my "dealer" sticker.

I never did this originally, but I had several request from those I restored to do this, it doesn't get seen and easy enough to remove if the client doesn't want it. Well if they don't, I don't even add it, this is really not issue and one again you're distracting the reason I posted this in the first place.

I upload hi-res photos, not afraid to show my work, so I guess I'll just have to accept those that do nothing but critise..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't do restoration work for other people anymore... haven't done for about 4 years now. So no, my post wasn't a way of drumming up business for myself.

It was an 80 year old playfield that now looks like it sprang from the DMD era. The work was not sympathetic to the game at all and if my post makes someone else think twice before going down this path on such an old game, then it's a post that will find its own merit.

Subsequent replies state that a CC was the only way to go on this. I cant make that call as I didn't see the PF beforehand. But that is an awful lot of CC with a high gloss finish. There are ways to do this so the finish is more akin to that of the original.

Restoration means you work in "whispers" and the work should be invisible or at worst very hard to spot.

If we accept that due to delamination that a total repaint and ton of CC was required then why wasn't the text finished or surrounding colour blended to suit?

Im sure there is not a pinhead on any forum that hasn't been irritated by a dealers sticker or pricing sticker on an apron so why you would put one on a PF and seal it in is beyond me. Surely a better approach would have been to put one on the underside as a note of who did the work?

No offence mate, If i had left this the way it was you would be calling too bin it.

No way in hell you or any one would have touched a job like this.

You wanna think it could have been left with a quick rub over of lacquer then you would be fooling your self.

and you are right you didnt see it before,

if you dont like the fact it isnt patina and now shiny well fine, but patina on this game was 30 years ago, 3 months ago this was rott.

Besides the legs There is only one piece of wood on this entire machine that is not original, this is a massive restoration and so we are mindful of originality.

I get that You dont like that some modern techniques are done because you are a purest- then fine, but we saved history you would have seen into the bin if kept as it was with a quick wipe of lacquer .

That wood rott doesn't buff out or disappear with father time

As for the shine, well Im using an old Jar of 50 year old Oil base Lacquers on the side rails, exactly what would have been used on this game from factory, the shine from that is very comparable to that of twopack.

They didnt come out of the factory dull, And I have seen many restorers in the USA 2pack playfields on these old games in an attempt to keep moisture from re-entering the veneers and also leveling the surface.

Ps I know you do good work Gavin, in fact I spruke and recommend your website to allot of people who ask about gtb stencils.

but you are wrong on this one Im sorry you have jumped the gun

Edited by jason1

Picked the playfield up, SO thanks Scott.

Here is a couple of pictures with just the wood ball arch just sitting in place not attached.

still has the nickle steel strip that runs around the inside edge of the ball arch to be re-attached to the ball arch.

this is un-populated but to give you an idea of how the play-field finish works with the large wooden ball arch that is oil base lacquered

there is allot of nail pegs to go on this play-field, and will really take shape only once it is populated again

playfield13.jpg.0700644f44729beeccd88445289d4425.jpg

playfield12.jpg.655c4c1f26837672e50edbeacbf3f4a8.jpg

before it was this, unplayable with more waves in the laminate than bells beach

beforeplay13.jpg.70be22b27ffc899889dfff50b268a63b.jpg

now just a sample of some of the original art that was preserved and wasnt altered.

including the alamo its self and the shooting figures, cactus, puffs of smoke from the guns and so on. repairs were made to the background gold to remove flakes and cracks in the veneer, and mold that was in the paint.

now colors are bright, they were also matched too areas that were under the ball arch that were not faded due to never seeing light since the day it was made. So Scott had a very good idea of color matches of all the colors.

artplayorig.jpg.144e413c8c680ad4d9e9f4d72808dcc1.jpg

before,

peforemoldy.jpg.4088eb97b6a88ca9e560e570cf9c5c0f.jpg

Edited by jason1