Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

SMB humming noise appeared

wako

Question

been 3 weeks since played super mario bros. and now there is a rather annoying humming noise its on all the time.

it seems to be coming from the left of the fuses in picture

any ideas why this would have just started or howto fix?

thanks

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/10/8a5a8e764aa0767aba62b45ebbad19ef.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

4 answers to this question

yeh they are in place and secure..

all my sys 3 do a little but this is enough to feel the vibration when put hand on side of cabinet

there is also alot of humming coming through the speaker on the bottom but not the backboard speakers... I disconnected the speaker and is a little less noisy but still alot more than my others

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Maybe try to put a dampening material under the transformer. Like rubber mate and see what happens. If it is coming from the speakers it could be bad caps passing ac current over Dc circuit. I am not sure about system 3 but assume the same logic. You can test for ac ripple by setting your multimeter to ac when checking dc points on the board. If the reading is high then the caps are a problem. Alternatively the best way to test is use an oscilloscope to be sure before changing caps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is very likely to be the mains transformer/s - they run at mains frequency (50Hz) and so anything that flaps or can be influenced near them will be audible to the human ear.

Very VERY common problem is the steel laminations vibrating at the 50Hz rate and so you are able to hear it. To some degree, ALL mains transformers constructed this way will make some sort of noise - some more, some less depending on a lot of factors including how well they were made in the first place and if they were "dipped" in varnish after construction or not to prevent exactly this type of issue.

Grab a piece of wood - dowel or 2X1, anything will do about 500mm long - put one end hard onto the transformer and the other end to your ear - you will soon know if it is the transformer making the noise or not and also which one it is.

Locate the noisy one (if it actually IS one of the TXs) and remove it from the mounting - if possible tighten the screws securing all of the steel laminations - if you can't do that remove the screws and replace them with new high tensile ones that you can really tighten up with plenty of pressure.

The testing and listening will need to be done with power ON (that's why I suggested a piece of wood and not a long screwdriver for safety) but POWER OFF and UNPLUGGED if you decide to work on the transformers.

That's what I would do and worth a shot IMO if the Txs are making the noise.