Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Old Arcades? (One in Brisbane in particular?)

LOL. I was thinking about that the other day. I didn't know if it was a myth or real, but I do remember Mum not letting me go to a water park because of this very reason.

- - - Updated - - -

During my tertiary study days, me and a group of friends used to spend a hell of a lot of our class & study time at Timezone Toombul. Such a crap shopping centre now, but the Timezone back in the early 1990's was awesome. Played plenty of Addams Family pinball, Le Mans 24Hr and probably Daytona (was it out then?). Also spent lots of money playing Air Hockey and nearly lost many teeth because the stupid puck wasn't great and too much air though the table meant it went flying off the table at regular intervals.

IIRC Toombul had Hard Drivin' for about 200 years. I can't remember when they got Daytona. Queen Street had a number of them pretty early on. I loved that air hockey table, it was so fast and dangerous :lol The puck went out the door numerous times, at one point it stopped just on the verge on dropping off the top floor

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LAs Vegas and Grundys

Man I remember those places! My buddies and I used to save as much we could during the week and go into Las Vegas once a week with a bag of $15 of 10cent pieces! We'd have a bumbag just full of 20cent pieces.

I loved TMNT the best but it was so funny thinking back now, cause if you didn't know this and you put a $1 coin in (giving you 5 credits), other kids playing next to you would press their button and take your credits - 4 player game. And most of these kids who did this were fricken huge and so you couldnt do anything, I saw it happen so much. Big kids would just stand next to these games waiting for small kids to put $1 coins in. I even remember at some stage having to put the 20 cent piece in and time it perfectly so you press your own start button before someone else did.

Any Grundys! I remember you'd get on the slides and you would come round one corner towards the end and there'd be this huge pile up of kids, cause some one down the front was holding everyone up. Then he's let go and about 10/20 kinds would just pile ontop of each other at the bottom. I also remember my dad going down the really high one, that has this huge drop down at the end and he flew out the side and landed in 4 slides over at the bottom! insane

• 2 years later...
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has tried to document a list of old arcades that used to grace our cities and suburbs back in the day? In particular I am trying to find any info on one I remember fondly from Brisbane. I am fairly certain it was located in Albert St just before you got up to the Queen St Mall. It had black tiles out on the street front and just had 20c in big yellow text. I used to refer to it as the 20c Parlour :P It was fairly large inside and most games were 20c a credit with the exception of the newer titles at the time. I remember going there in the very early 90's and I think later it got converted into a Playtime or something...

Just thought I would see if anyone else remembers this..?! :)

It was a originally a Playtime that was held under Associated Leisure (ie Natmar Holdings), my dad owned it but then in 2002 when things went down hill he sold the naming rights to Playtime. Shoot me an email on umashev.n@gmail.com if you have any questions

Does anyone recall the incident with the ship at Tops coming free of its mounts and going for a trip through some shops?

I worked up at Tops for a short period in the mid nineties, the roller coaster still went round (mostly 1/4 full) but by that time the ship was already closed, the story at the time was that some one leapt off

Never found out the full story but that’s what the staff used to say

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

There was also an arcade in Ipswich way back when we first moved. I remember it was at the top of town, it was one of the wider store fronts in one of the older buildings and went all~ the way to the back. I distinctly remember a six player Gauntlet being in there. Sadly it (the arcade) wasn't there for too long (I think) after we arrived. Was only able to go in once or twice.

:/

I’m pretty sure that arcade was the one out the front of the pool hall? Pool upstairs, arcade down front just off the street?

That place had a wide front and went all the way back if you count the pool hall.

If so yeah that was a pretty hairy scarey joint sometimes. Wrong time, wrong place, no mates around and you could easily cop a flogging.

Place to be around 89/90/91 was on the corner of Brisbane St and (?) Street that goes down to the underpass. Timezone from memory but haven’t seen it mentioned in the thread earlier so could be wrong.

Plenty of machines and decent size too (nothing on Las Vegas in Brisbane though).

Playtime up near the top of the Ippy mall was ok but always seemed smaller.

Gee, clearing out some cobwebs here!

Hey does anyone remember the arcade that was up by Harry’s/ Windmill cafe mid-nineties?

Wasn’t huge and possible it wasn’t there for too long.

Used to be tech who worked there (maybe owner?) who opened up a Black Rose and showed me the guts of it one afternoon which I’ll never forget. First glimpse inside a pinny! I had no clue.

That same bloke also worked at “stars & stripes” so was never sure if he was an owner or techie.

Stars & Stripes I think may possibly have been in same space David Hankin mentioned above - astutely pointed out to be Everything Adult nowadays...

I worked up at Tops for a short period in the mid nineties, the roller coaster still went round (mostly 1/4 full) but by that time the ship was already closed, the story at the time was that some one leapt off

Never found out the full story but that’s what the staff used to say

Yeah was on the news and thats where i saw it. I dont recall the full story.

I remember going up there from time to time and playing that punching game where you smack the bar down, and put a few bucks through Hard Drivin'

Yeah was on the news and thats where i saw it. I dont recall the full story.

I remember going up there from time to time and playing that punching game where you smack the bar down, and put a few bucks through Hard Drivin'

I loved Hard Drivin even though I was crap at. Think it was at the cinemas at Indooroopilly around 93. But Las Vegas was my go to arcade in the late 80s, the bubble screen Gyruss they had was awesome. And it's cool to see one now at Netherworld

Sent from my SM-G925I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 07/03/2016 at 2:42 PM, dpm said:

Do you know what the address was and when it closed?

Looks like there are games up the top of the Myer Centre again under the Funhouse name

There was one called Stars & Stripes I used to frequent, located on Brunswick St opposite the entrance to the station, not sure when it closed.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to frequent the Playtime on Albert St just down from HJ's in the 90's. I remember seeing/hearing a story about the operator being shot, possibly over interrupting robbers knocking over the jewelry store near by. Does anyone remember this? The dude had dark hair, mid 20's maybe, slim build, not very chatty. Possibly named Rob. Always changed my ten dollar note over to dollar coins. Was there every single time I visited. What a great arcade with all the best titles.