Thread: Kong Off IV - AA 2016 Edition Official Thread

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2305 Post(s)

0007.png

Should have beaten Kane's score - but brain farted and also did little point pressing because I was smoking ciggies and having a drink while playing Pretty happy with that as a first game when I haven't touched this game in pretty much months.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by magrinder View Post
    Any manner that supports AA works. I'd honestly prefer to leave it to you to distribute in any manner preferred.

I forgot to inquire: are we point pressing (jumping at Kong's feet, re-jumping barrels) or running boards? Either way is fine with me, I just want to be sure that I'm compliant in approach with others.

Dusting off my mame controller and twitch account now (twitch account is magrinder if anyone wants to learn questionable techniques and likely decrease their scores!)...
    Yep point pressing is fine. For new players - there is plenty of info on point pressing (bumping up your score by humping Kong's leg and barrel grouping) - but you'll get your score higher initially if you just run boards (get thought the game as quickly as possible). Unless you can successfully negotiate the 3rd elevator stage, point pressing will do nothing but get you a tiny bit closer to breaking 100k.

I'll add you to the list of twitch users tomorrow.

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    689 Post(s)

Very happy with that.
    New PB for me.

dkong 185100.JPG

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2305 Post(s)

14 hours into AADKO16.... only 394 hours left to get your score in

Close at the top for the moment.

Place Player Score Behind Next Best
    1 kane 192,600 -
    2 John73 191,000 1,600
    3 bigredbird 185,100 5,900

- - - Updated - - -

One big improver in the first 24 hours also

Place Player Prev High New High Improvement
    1 bigredbird 149,100 185,100 36,000 / 24.14%

State
    NSW (Newcastle)
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    727 Post(s)
    I had forgotten that this had started. I'll have to fire up the cabinet..

I saw Barra get online earlier today and thought I'd be able to watch and learn what I should but can't do and it took me much longer than it should have to realise that he was playing Donkey Kong Junior and not Donkey Kong.... that is an indication of how bad I am at this game.

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Second attempt, 404,400, made about 224k on my last man.

Attachment 89425

State
    Brisbane
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2305 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    Second attempt, 404,400, made about 224k on my last man.

Attachment 89425
    Have you played much DK in the last 12 months? You really should stick with it, you're not far from stringing a game together and KSing it.

State
    Auckland
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1071 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John73 View Post
    Have you played much DK in the last 12 months? You really should stick with it, you're not far from stringing a game together and KSing it.
    ^what he said

If you can get 404k with litte to no practice, it wouldn't take you long to KS at all.

My stream - http://www.twitch.tv/barranz - Pop in and say hello!

State
    NH
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quoted
    318 Post(s)

Attachment 89466

I'm going to stick with a PB of 360K. I suspect I may be off, and though I'm not able to find anything to document the 360K, for some reason that number is sticking in my head. I've -never- made 400K, this much I know for sure! I would consider that a huge personal milestone.

While this submission only puts me at 61% to PB, the way I look at it, my current submission is higher than Barra's zero score entry.
    @kane: if you're hitting 404K without much effort then yes, you are much closer to a KS than you may think. Keep at it! Personally, every 200Kish DK game I play is a grueling fight ending in the depletion of my gaming soul. After hitting this score above (many attempts), I'm remembering why I stray away from DK. I'll continue to make efforts towards this contest though...

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1428 Post(s)
    well, i'm on the board anyway

Made it to L4. Not looking at anyone's methods yet, i can do most of the levels so far up to L4 just winging it, but I can see from L4 i'm going to need some better strategies than just running around blindly.final death came by flying barrel.

dk1.jpg

State
    Melbourne
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    362 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John73 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Barra View Post
    ^what he said

If you can get 404k with litte to no practice, it wouldn't take you long to KS at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by magrinder View Post
    @kane: if you're hitting 404K without much effort then yes, you are much closer to a KS than you may think. Keep at it!
    I can usually get 400k all day long, but a 500k score is much more rare, and I've only ever been over 600k once. I'm sure I'll get to the KS one day...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information