Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

CRT Monitor Problem

dunnoz

Question

Hi All,

First, I'm new to the arcade fixing stuff so needing some advice on what to do.

I bought a candy cab as a "project" with a broken monitor chassis.

Got Jomac to fix the chassis.

Plugged chassis to CRT and a multi-game board but no picture, controls work and sound works.

I don't know if there's power going to the CRT or how to check... i assume the yoke should light up? if so it's not on.

Any advice on next steps?

Thanks

10 answers to this question

Have you checked all of your connectors?

1) Ensure that the neckboard is plugged into the neck and that the ground wire that connects to the wire around the tube is plugged into the neckboard.

2) Ensure that you have your 240/110V from the cabinet power to the chassis. It will usually be a two prong plug that runs from the bottom of the cab.

3) Ensure that you have your JAMMA video connectors connected to the chassis, this is what will give you a picture. It will be a plug with usually 5 wires. Red, Green, Blue and then black for ground and white or yellow for video sync. The wires will run back into the JAMMA harness.

4) Ensure that you have the chassis plugged into the yoke. This is a big plug with 4 wires in two matched pairs. Red and blue is the normal colour for two, and then usually yellow and green for the other two.

5) Ensure that there is a 'glow' in the neck of the tube, this is how you know your tube is getting power. No glow in the neck no power. This glow is often very faint and can only be seen in the dark.

Yes - check you have the chassis ground pin connected. Across the back of the tube will be a metal braid cable, which goes to a single black wire and a 1 pin plug. That needs to connect to the ground pin on the neck board. Very easily to forget to connect that up.

Thanks for the replies.

Attached 2 pics.

1. Connected the 1 black wire to neckboard.

2. Connected. Pic attached.

3. Connected, white plug with 4 wires RBGW Pic attached.

4. Connected.

5. No visible glow even in Dark.

Looks like no power is going to the Chassis.

Can I plug the 2 prong (US like plug) into a adapter and into AU outlet?

Anything i missed?

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1575.JPG

Good photos, it appears you have everything connected.

No glow is bad, but it can be caused by a number of things. You might have blown some fuses on the chassis. However, as Joey has repaired it, this seems unlikely. Still, check your fuses.

One last test, on the EHT (the big black thing that is in the top left corner of your photo) there will be two potentiometer adjustments. One will be labelled screen and the ohter will be lablled focus. Twist the screen pot, it may be turned ALL the way down, which would produce no image. If you twist it, it will ramp up the brightness of your screen and produce raster lines. These will be easily visible if the tube is working.

EDIT: Oh and for the love of god DO NOT PLUG THAT 2 PRONG PLUG INTO AN AU OUTLET! The two prong plug is 110V, our power is 240V. Without a stepdown converter, you will hear a bang, and maybe see some smoke and sparks. Not something you want as you would kill your chassis completely.

What type of chassis is running on the tube ?

You might have a free voltage chassis that does 100/240v but always check the fuse and the specs of voltage on the chassis and take a close photo of the voltage output on the chassis for further info.

It's weird for a fuse to be blowing once Joey has repaired it. It suggests that something may be wrong elsewhere.

yes

did you have the yoke connector plugged in the 1st time you fired it up...

Also you need to find out what voltage is coming out of that transformer

What sort of tube is in it...

As you bought it already dead are you sure that chassis is correct for that tube..... that will blow it up also

Possible something else is causing the fuse to blow, but I don't know where to start to check...

@Morty Moose in my hands, I've only turned it on once when I bought it to test sound and controls worked. Chassis wasn't plugged in or connected to monitor.

This is the first time it was all connected and turned on in my hands.

Chassis should be for the tube I hope... no way for me to know...

No idea what tube it is... tube and labels pics attached.

Thanks,

Tube 3.JPG

Tube 2.JPG

Tube 1.JPG