Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

FIXED: PCE GT cap replacement - "1" button not working

Hey fellas,

I recently picked up a boxed PCE GT from YJA, it finally arrived, I powered it on with 6 new batteries and immediately I noticed there was no sound. I know these handhelds are notorious for bad, failing caps so it looks like I'll need to do a replacement job, I basically have zero soldering skills so I don't really want to attempt a cap replacement on a system that already cost me quite a bit of money on the chances that I might ruin the thing further. So, I am putting it out there, if there is anyone on the boards who is confident in doing the cap replacement, I'll compensate for the service of course and will supply the caps to be replaced.

Secondly, which is more of a bummer, I noticed that the "1" button was not working, I tried it with three games, all that would have utilised a jump feature and none worked. This is probably my major concern, as I know the cap replacement can fix the sound and improve the display, but a button not working I am completely stumped on.

I opened up the handheld to see if I could identify anything out of the ordinary but I couldn't. I removed and replaced all of the cables but this did not resolve anything. I am wondering if perhaps some of the caps leaked and cut into traces but I couldn't see any major leaking or anything concerning. I'm happy to take detailed photos if that could help or perhaps there is someone here that knows how to further troubleshoot a button not working. Perhaps a cap replacement would fix the button.

Thanks for hearing me out. :)

Edited by Pando
Fixed

So I decided to open it up anyway to see if I could find out more about why the button does not work and it looks like I've found the culprit.

There is a cap that sits right above the button on the board mounted to the display and upon further investigation, it looks to have leaked. I'm going to have to neutralise the current leakage but am not sure on what to use? Vinegar or baking soda?

IMG_0014.JPG.309eacbe5c3ee8757512b0e39c450580.JPGIMG_0016.JPG.9c82c276965ff707789ae2b0d8601962.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...