Botany, N.S.W
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Germany

Cool Bar Top Build Questions

Hey guys,

I have purchased a flat-pack bar top kit off WWF here on AA. I plan on installing a 17" notebook LCD panel to run horizontal games. I would like to keep the build as light as possible. I will also purchase a remote LCD controller board which will drive the Notebook LCD. I would like to run a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, with Retro Pie/Emulation Station. The Raspberry Pi will connect to the remote board via HDMI. My question is this, I was planning on using a 15 amp switching arcade PSU to power the LCD, Raspberry Pi, 12 vLED strip (for the marquee) and the stereo amplifier. But upon reading, the remote board requires +12V DC 4 amps.

An arcade PSU only puts out 2.5 amps at the +12V rail. I'm guessing that this won't be sufficient enough for the remote board. Here is an example of the remote board I plan on using:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-NT68676-2A...-/110977522562

Here is a video showing a build that I'd like to somewhat replicate.

Will I need to use an ATX power supply instead? An ATX supply usually has around 10-14 amps at the +12V.
    "Pick any game you want! I'm good at all of them. I have 97 of them..."

State
    Mount Druitt, NSW
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    340 Post(s)
    Yeh just use an atx psu instead, much easier. I have bought one of these kits before and the atx psu just fit in. Also squeezed a 19" LCD monitor in too
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450165438.109371.jpg

State
    Botany, N.S.W
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_roberts13 View Post
    Yeh just use an atx psu instead, much easier. I have bought one of these kits before and the atx psu just fit in. Also squeezed a 19" LCD monitor in too
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450165438.109371.jpg
    Looks nice man! I was only planning on having a 1 player 6 button setup. But after seeing yours, I may change it to 2! Do you reckon that it would be possible to use MCA joysticks? Or are they too deep below the actual panel? I guess another concern is the actual height of the MCA stick interfering with the LCD...

State
    Mount Druitt, NSW
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    340 Post(s)
    Yeh im not sure if u would fit mcas in there, if u have any spare u could measure it up. I had to use the small shaft zippys.
    It was a very tight squeeze making it 2 player 6 buttons, if I were to take a pic under the cp u wouldn't see much of the mdf panel left

State
    Botany, N.S.W
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Germany

Alright, I've decided to change my original plan with the bar top. The new plan is this. I will install a Dell Optiplex 755 Small Form Factor PC. I would like to run Hyperspin, and would love to know if these specs would be able to run Super Street Fighter IV (arcade edition) via the Taito Type X emulator. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz, 4 GB Ram, 1GB dedicated graphics card (would like recommendations for a particular card). Also, my next question is this.

Still regarding power, I need to power a few other devices within the cab.

- 12v for the stereo amp. I don't wish to use the ATX supply as it is rather noisy, what would be another solution?
    - 12 volts to power the remote LCD controller board/LCD panel

The PC will receive power from an EMI switch with inbuilt fuse. How will I be able to tap into the ATX power supply so that I can power the stereo amp and LCD controller board? is there a 20 pin adapter that I can use as the ATX will obviously plug into the mobo. Or is it as simple as cutting the 12v line\Ground on the ATX, soldering 2x 12v and 2x Ground wires to power the amp and LCD and seal the wires with heat shrink. I plan on shorting the ATX green wire (PS ON) with a common ground so that it always turns on the moment the cab is switched on at the main switch to the rear of the cab. Might seem like a silly question, But I've always used 2 power supplies in the past to run game i.e. ATX with an arcade switching supply. I suppose I could just use an arcade power supply, but I don't think it would have enough amps to power the 12v LCD remote controller board (requires 4 amps)

State
    Botany, N.S.W
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Germany

Bump-a-lump!

Thread Information