Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Poor LAI Dragon's lair, should I sell it?

I have had this LAI Dragons lair for about 4 years.

I bought it incomplete, and have sought high and low for all the parts to finish it off

It owes me a lot. Obscene amounts, but naturally if I sold it I would cop a loss

2 x DL Disks

Complete harness

Has a screen

Cabinet is good. No sideart. (Not sure the LAI even had sideart originally)

Got an original PCB for DL

Has a later model Laser Player, so may need a converter card. (Lasercon or equiv)

It doesn't have a marquee

Do you think it's worth $1000 to someone

I even got a Limited Edition Laser Disk from that run of 400 they did a while ago (US$500 :blink:) I may sell that separately if I sell the cab

This is a discussion thread, so does anyone want to tell me what they think it's worth please

If you don't intend to pursue completing it I would flick it.

To be honest these laser disc machines were BIG trouble right from day one. A place I worked had a couple and between all of the techs (6 of us) we could never keep the things going FROM NEW!! Probably had a lot to do with technology that was in its infancy but also was obsoleted very rapidly so few bothered to learn much about it..:unsure

Maybe others had more luck but the place I worked took a big hit buying these and we ended up junking them after a year or so.

It certainly would be nice to see it working but I fear its a job that the average "arcader" will quickly find is beyond pretty well anyone's skill levels to keep it going.

I hope I'm wrong.

• Administrators

I have the same cab....converted by an op long ago. From memory the original LD players were the real problem. VERY prone to failure. The cab itself is VERY collectible but has a tiny market. I have no idea on potential cost though.

brad

I think it would be worth the money youre asking to the right person.

The parts are getting harder and harder to find etc.

You just to find someone who likes the game, has the skill level & knowledge to complete it, and the time & money to do so.

Surely there is someone on this forum that fits the criteria? LOL.

The only issue would be your location. Add shipping to the initial cost.

Its a shame you dont want to hold onto it, maybe do a bit here, a bit there........ 3 years later you have finished project.

Otherwise, fingers crossed, someone snaps it up.

I have had this LAI Dragons lair for about 4 years.

I bought it incomplete, and have sought high and low for all the parts to finish it off

It owes me a lot. Obscene amounts, but naturally if I sold it I would cop a loss

Hi dezbaz, I couldn't quite work out if it still needs many more parts or is near complete. With the electronics I got that it may need a converter for the newer model player, anything else?

I think $1000 is cheap. BTW. If you've spent all that much on it, and still like the game, don't loose heart, I wouldn't give up on it yet. I understand you may have your reasons though, space, etc.. I get that.

I see nothing wrong in trying to recoup your costs, or at least a sizeable chunk. I don't feel that it's sacrilegious to do that.

Hi dezbaz, I couldn't quite work out if it still needs many more parts or is near complete. With the electronics I got that it may need a converter for the newer model player, anything else?

I think $1000 is cheap. BTW. If you've spent all that much on it, and still like the game, don't loose heart, I wouldn't give up on it yet. I understand may have your reasons though, space, etc.. I get that.

I see nothing wrong in trying to recoup the costs. I don't feel that it's sacrilegious to do that.

Hey Taito

I need a converter board and marquee. Then I was going to do a custom sideart. The Main PCB is untested

Not far from working

I was talking to @Johns-Arcade about the Lasercon card needed

He said there was another alternative card available, which allowed the more reliable later model Laser Disk Players to operate the game

The converter I was referring to Dez would have been a LaserAce, and as luck would have it, I can work something out for you here :D It sounds to me that this is pretty much all that's holding you back. What Laser Disc Player do you have (make and model)? and have you tested it?

You don't mention if you have a power supply, but just a standard switch-mode will be fine.

The biggest issue with Dragon's Lair back in the day was the unreliable Laser Disc Player, being the Pioneer LVD-1000, LVD1001 or the even worst PR-8210

Once this player is replaced with a more modern one, Dragon's Lair can be a very reliable game.

If you do wish to proceed, worst case, send all your parts to me (harness, PCB, Laser Disc) and I'll check it and make sure it's all working for you.

If you decide not to, please keep me in mind for the Limited Edition DL disc, as I'll be happy to buy this off you.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

I'm happy to help with the game if you do decide to get it going

The converter I was referring to Dez would have been a LaserAce, and as luck would have it, I can work something out for you here :D It sounds to me that this is pretty much all that's holding you back. What Laser Disc Player do you have (make and model)? and have you tested it?

You don't mention if you have a power supply, but just a standard switch-mode will be fine.

The biggest issue with Dragon's Lair back in the day was the unreliable Laser Disc Player, being the Pioneer LVD-1000, LVD1001 or the even worst PR-8210

Once this player is replaced with a more modern one, Dragon's Lair can be a very reliable game.

If you do wish to proceed, worst case, send all your parts to me (harness, PCB, Laser Disc) and I'll check it and make sure it's all working for you.

If you decide not to, please keep me in mind for the Limited Edition DL disc, as I'll be happy to buy this off you.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

I'm happy to help with the game if you do decide to get it going

Power supply should be able to sort, if the one inside doesn't work :)

Cheers John, as always.

Gotta work out if I want to part with more $$ only to end up with a project game

Power supply should be able to sort, if the one inside doesn't work :)

Cheers John, as always.

Gotta work out if I want to part with more $$ only to end up with a project game

The Marquee shouldn't be a major problem Dez.

I don't think you'll need to throw a lot more cash at it to finish it off.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Oh the Laser Disk God's are shinning on you Dez. John's pretty much laid out a banquet, fit for a Laser Disk King to enjoy. Snap up that LaserAce!

I think I played DL once or twice in my life, I know, impoverished, so don't know much about it. But from what I can tell it's one of the cool games. Your almost there!

Forgive my directness, but forget about the side art and marque for the moment, and grab that LaserAce while you can. :) You can always get side art, but the guts, mmm, much harder to find. Especially with the babies.

Absolutely guys

All it takes is a steadying word from a few dedicated collectors, and you're back on track :)

Cheers guys

John, I think my Player is a Pioneer 4300 ?? I can find the box and get the number

Whoa!

I never knew they had it working.

Great news

I'm considering getting one myself Dez, but as much as they seem to have it working, I still don't think they are available. I put my name down some time back, but haven't heard anything, and from the FAQ page, it looks like it's a year past its release date.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.