Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MMr now $16000

chopchop

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love pinball, but not $16k worth of love.

Having a 100% debt free house hold I couldnt go into debt for a pinball, and every time I have a spare $16k in cash just laying around, Ive found better more important ways to put it to good use.

I think I would want a couple of $mil in the bank before Id consider spending that sort of cash on a pin, because There is just so many things I could think of I would need before a MM pinball.

each to their own I guess

Ten years ago I would have had exactly the same thoughts on this subject, my wife and I have been reasonably frugal for 20 years and have never been in debt, saved money every month, salary sacrificed into super from age 30yrs etc etc.

But now I'm approaching 50 and it's time to remember you can't take it with you :) I don't have a couple of million in the bank, but a one off spend of 16k won't impact my retirement or our savings and investments and remember the pinball will never be worth nothing. If I keep it until I die then it must have proved to be a great long term investment in my happiness. But it's more likely that I will sell it in the future and take a few $K loss, that loss will be what I have spent, not $16k. I added up the resale value of my games recently for insurance and over the last 8 years of collecting my games are now in total worth a fair bit more than what I paid for them. I'm not about to sell, but when I do sell if I take a bit of a loss which I expect I will as I can see prices reducing soon then I will still be happy for the enjoyment I have gained out of playing them for years :)

It's interesting what people prioritise, also how those priorities change throughout your lifetime, I have not bought a new TV for over 20 years or a stereo or a car, we buy secondhand cars and keep them for over 10 years to maximise the value we get from them.

But we both ride expensive MTBs at about $6k each and will sell them at around $1.5k after 3 or 4 years and will be happy that the enjoyment we get out of riding them over that time makes that depreciation well worth the investment :D

We also spend money on travel, that has no resale value at all, but it's an investment in life experience which we rate as being very important.

I love pinball, but not $16k worth of love.

Having a 100% debt free house hold I couldnt go into debt for a pinball, and every time I have a spare $16k in cash just laying around, Ive found better more important ways to put it to good use.

I think I would want a couple of $mil in the bank before Id consider spending that sort of cash on a pin, because There is just so many things I could think of I would need before a MM pinball.

each to their own I guess

Totally agree no pinball machine is worth over 12k and even 12 is a stupid price, and like you said there are much better things to waste money on than some of these over inflated games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree no pinball machine is worth over 12k and even 12 is a stupid price, and like you said there are much better things to waste money on than some of these over inflated games

Market dictates “worth”. If they’re not “worth” 16k they don’t sell

Ten years ago I would have had exactly the same thoughts on this subject, my wife and I have been reasonably frugal for 20 years and have never been in debt, saved money every month, salary sacrificed into super from age 30yrs etc etc.

But now I'm approaching 50 and it's time to remember you can't take it with you :) I don't have a couple of million in the bank, but a one off spend of 16k won't impact my retirement or our savings and investments and remember the pinball will never be worth nothing. If I keep it until I die then it must have proved to be a great long term investment in my happiness. But it's more likely that I will sell it in the future and take a few $K loss, that loss will be what I have spent, not $16k. I added up the resale value of my games recently for insurance and over the last 8 years of collecting my games are now in total worth a fair bit more than what I paid for them. I'm not about to sell, but when I do sell if I take a bit of a loss which I expect I will as I can see prices reducing soon then I will still be happy for the enjoyment I have gained out of playing them for years :)

It's interesting what people prioritise, also how those priorities change throughout your lifetime, I have not bought a new TV for over 20 years or a stereo or a car, we buy secondhand cars and keep them for over 10 years to maximise the value we get from them.

But we both ride expensive MTBs at about $6k each and will sell them at around $1.5k after 3 or 4 years and will be happy that the enjoyment we get out of riding them over that time makes that depreciation well worth the investment :D

We also spend money on travel, that has no resale value at all, but it's an investment in life experience which we rate as being very important.

I see where you coming from and good on you taking time to spoil yourself I say.

But I still think $16000 for a money making machine that doesn't make money is a bit of a joke myself.

A bit like buying a Cokacola machine for the house to use it as a fridge.

Still, it should hold it's value to a degree.

Amazingly some investors buy guns and never touch them because they only gain in value.

I know of a guy that actually won the bidding on a international gun action and scooped Billy The Kid's pistol. Not bad for an Aussie guy and this really pissed off a lot of Americans that didn't even know the pistol was up for auction.

It sits in a safety deposit box and is never fired, what it was actually designed to do), and just gains in value.

At least your pinball will give you untold hours of entertainment all be it not as it was designed to do without making money but what price do you put on entertainment.

Mine is the LE model and came without a coin mech (a point of contention for many, but not me) clearly CGC/PPS knew that the vast majority of these games would go to private collectors and be left on freeplay forever, the market has changed, I am using my machine as it was manufactured to be used.

Just out of interest, those of you who have expressed that they think spending $16k on a pinball is in their opinion not a wise financial move what about those who have 3 or 4 mid priced pins totalling more than $16k in value? Are they doing it wrong also?

Personally from a financial perspective I can see no difference. So that would mean that you think probably more than half of the forum members are doing it wrong?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Just out of interest, those of you who have expressed that they think spending $16k on a pinball is in their opinion not a wise financial move what about those who have 3 or 4 mid priced pins totalling more than $16k in value? Are they doing it wrong also?

Personally from a financial perspective I can see no difference. So that would mean that you think probably more than half of the forum members are doing it wrong?

It’s your money, do what you want with it. I don’t care if people think I’m crazy paying x for something they perhaps wouldn’t. The only person I even include in the decision is my wife.

That's exactly the thought process I went through and discussed with my wife when we just bought Dialed In.

Definitely a stupid amount of money for a box with balls in it, however I was happy to keep my potc and twilight zone.... Which collectively are about the same value plus or minus a bit. So our decision to buy Dialed In was based on moving the TZ and potc to fund it.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

That's exactly the thought process I went through and discussed with my wife when we just bought Dialed In.

Definitely a stupid amount of money for a box with balls in it, however I was happy to keep my potc and twilight zone.... Which collectively are about the same value plus or minus a bit. So our decision to buy Dialed In was based on moving the TZ and potc to fund it.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

But how good is dialed in Rob

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Sweet. Are they still being imported ? Would you mind letting me know who is importing the medieval madness please.

1 coming but not quickly enough

- - - Updated - - -

The New Jersey jack pirates looks awesome alright.

God help some if us when pirates land all ce sold 18.5 i believe 15k for le and they will sell

Sweet. Are they still being imported ? Would you mind letting me know who is importing the medieval madness please.

- - - Updated - - -

The New Jersey jack pirates looks awesome alright.

Wayne mr pinball will happily get you 1

Don't worry I paid $30k landed for a magic girl, and I don't give a toss at what people think

Ps no Williams bally games ever had coin mechs fitted unless ordered and charged separate, no do any new sterns in australia

- - - Updated - - -

All the mmr are sold in this batch, would need to order one

I think I have one le AFM left now, be quick

I agree, each to themselves as to what they do with there money.

I suppose my point of contention is these machines used to be highly labour intensive in there manufacturing. These days they certainly are not.

Cost of parts in modern pinballs used is far less. A very good example is a glass gas filled 6 volt light bulb with a brass base as opposed to an LED. What some say was a step in the right direction was purely price driven by an industry in a effort to increase profits.

A lot of new machines are using PCs as opposed to dedicated board sets.

PCs are cheap and don't involve any development work by the company as opposed to boards that were designed to be repaired and required the company to design what they specifically required.

Displays used to be custom plasma displays made specifically for a manufacturer as opposed to a LCD screen commonly available, ( at this exact moment in time).

To me it is like comparing a new top of the line TV as opposed to a 20 year old top of the line TV.

My question is considering the cost of parts is significantly less and far less labour intensive like a modern TV, why is the price substantially higher?.

The copy version of MM would be a fraction of the manufacturing costs of that made by Williams/Bally in the 90s.

Exactly why are prices going up so rapidly then they should in fact be going down with the increase in sales due to popularity, and the reason is because these companies know that no matter what they pump out and no matter what price they put on it people will pay, so why would they pass on the savings they just make higher profits

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have they ever said how many medieval madness remakes will be made ? My understanding is that as long as orders keep rolling in they will keep making them ?

Sales of MMR will be considerably less than the original not more so economy of scale comes into it.

But yes they could be making more per unit especially for the LEs and the added price gouge of the colour upgrade chip.

Edited by Whitewater

Have they ever said how many medieval madness remakes will be made ? My understanding is that as long as orders keep rolling in they wil keep making them ?

This was my understanding too.....They will continue making them as long as there are orders.

I agree, each to themselves as to what they do with there money.

I suppose my point of contention is these machines used to be highly labour intensive in there manufacturing. These days they certainly are not.

Cost of parts in modern pinballs used is far less. A very good example is a glass gas filled 6 volt light bulb with a brass base as opposed to an LED. What some say was a step in the right direction was purely price driven by an industry in a effort to increase profits.

A lot of new machines are using PCs as opposed to dedicated board sets.

PCs are cheap and don't involve any development work by the company as opposed to boards that were designed to be repaired and required the company to design what they specifically required.

Displays used to be custom plasma displays made specifically for a manufacturer as opposed to a LCD screen commonly available, ( at this exact moment in time).

To me it is like comparing a new top of the line TV as opposed to a 20 year old top of the line TV.

My question is considering the cost of parts is significantly less and far less labour intensive like a modern TV, why is the price substantially higher?.

The copy version of MM would be a fraction of the manufacturing costs of that made by Williams/Bally in the 90s.

Not true bill of material cost of the original was $2451 and the remake is double that even with less boards or parts