Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Head to Head Battle Pinny

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about you parallel up two fets with

A 0.1ohm resistor hanging in series with the drain of each device.

Alternatively mount a red and blue fire extinguisher at each end.

I have spoken to my electronics guru, he seems to think the FET is not being driven hard enough. Not enough voltage on the gate, if not driven hard enough the FET will overheat......So Im giving him a couple of boards to play with (or destroy )

Also I shall go with a Nitrogen Based Gas System to fight the fire, less mess to clean up than an extinguisher :D

- - - Updated - - -

Would an inline fuse with the coil work as a protection of a FET fails?

Nope, all happens a bit quick. There is an 7amp fuse in line with the coils. The protection board that I have now fitted trips in 1 second of the fault coming on. Wont protect the FET , but will stop the coils flaming out.

Nope, all happens a bit quick. There is an 7amp fuse in line with the coils. The protection board that I have now fitted trips in 1 second of the fault coming on. Wont protect the FET , but will stop the coils flaming out.

I meant inline with each individual coil, 1.5amp each or something, kind of like what people do with the special solenoids on system 11s (and I assume system 3-7 as well based on the nvram.weebly.com kits).

I HATE FETs and you are seeing why I think.....

Pretty sure you need to drive them with 3.4volts by the way but at the same time make sure they are being driven completely off as well and not open circuit. Open circuit is bad, very bad for Fets. It needs to go to ground and also check your ground isn't floating or getting spikes in it.

Battle Pinny at PAX Melbourne this weekend. I have Battle Pinny on show at PAX for Friday, Saturday and Sunday . This event is HUGE, nearly fills up the whole of the Melbourne convention centre 80,000 tickets sold. Bayside Pinball club runs an area with 18 Pinballs in it. Members from the club contribute machines, so did Zax Amusements and Mr Pinball. Its a good promotion for the pinball tournaments down here. So far, no flame outs. I have reduced the high power from 50 to 40VDC. It has made a huge difference to how the machine plays ( way less airballs ). So very happy to see so many people enjoying my creation....:D Also very happy that at one stage more people where lined up to play Battle Pinny than Dead Pool ( Sorry Gary )

IMG_2502.thumb.jpg.32dd5c58bedc6b5e6c991d70944b2a06.jpgIMG_2500.thumb.jpg.c605ba14213afb1b8e73614a72847e16.jpgIMG_2499.thumb.jpg.512631e142116187253d6ce4314b8f11.jpgbattle.thumb.jpg.2788de99b08f8ccba52f79f5e9e84cb2.jpg

Edited by thegrunta666

I had a go of this game today at PAX and thought I'd do a brief review of it.

I found this game totally unfair, difficult to master those magnets and scoring very one sided (especially when you play the game designer and he cheats imo lol)

I'll never play this pinball again unless there's no one on the other end so I can win!!

Begrudgingly I have to congratulate Grant on a fine effort and the game does look the goods (eventhough I think he CHEATS) and it seemed to handle a shit load of plays and not miss a beat.

That's it for my review, regards a Pinball sore loser

I had a go of this game today at PAX and thought I'd do a brief review of it.

I found this game totally unfair, difficult to master those magnets and scoring very one sided (especially when you play the game designer and he cheats imo lol)

I'll never play this pinball again unless there's no one on the other end so I can win!!

Begrudgingly I have to congratulate Grant on a fine effort and the game does look the goods (eventhough I think he CHEATS) and it seemed to handle a shit load of plays and not miss a beat.

That's it for my review, regards a Pinball sore loser

Of course I cheat ! I know the code for the machine backwards , I purposely don't instruct you on how to play it correctly, and use those nasty magnets to my total advantage:p

- - - Updated - - -

So the final wash up from PAX. 255 Plays, one wire fell off, one rollover switch got stuck, one accusation of cheating (@pinball god). One game against Master Chief :D and I had to wiggle a plug on the magnet control board !So all in all very happy at the end of the Expo. Now to do more code tweaking ( feedback from players taken on board )

Next stop FlipOut in December......The game counter is on the top right hand side. 110 plays at Pinfest ( when it wasn't burning out coils), 95 plays at Bayside Pinball club and the rest at PAX

IMG_1834.thumb.jpg.d16a7c8ca01e1c1a912e4091518f1792.jpgIMG_2515.thumb.jpg.8aea53f0b063236159cf889680e697eb.jpgIMG_2517.thumb.jpg.37c4c662301fe5344821d1b9c6b3d91d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not so Squeezy.....I have made a solenoid switch monitor / Switch lock out board. Basically when the switch makes, it fires a 50ms solenoid pulse. If the switch stays on ( jambed ) it will not fire the solenoid again until the switch is cleared. Problem is, is that Battle Pinny has NO room left to fit the board, it has to go in where the much smaller relay board was, so had to cram everything on the vero board with the space i had. Got there in the end.

IMG_2593.thumb.jpg.6bbc3ca7c6200b86538e421d5d2e88ea.jpg

Not so Squeezy.....I have made a solenoid switch monitor / Switch lock out board. Basically when the switch makes, it fires a 50ms solenoid pulse. If the switch stays on ( jambed ) it will not fire the solenoid again until the switch is cleared. Problem is, is that Battle Pinny has NO room left to fit the board, it has to go in where the much smaller relay board was, so had to cram everything on the vero board with the space i had. Got there in the end.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]138198[/ATTACH]

That is one ugly lookin board :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Battle Pinny at Flip Out Melbourne.. So this was the final goal with Battle Pinny. This is the last public viewing of Battle Pinny for a while. The goals where to get it to Pinfest, Bayside Pinball Club mega Meet,PAX Australia and then Flip out. Yet again everyone really had fun playing it, and more offers to buy one when I start mass producing them...So, some very unhappy people when I told them it will be the only one. Every player loves and hates the flipper modes ( dead flippers, Reverse flippers ) So some more good feed back on a bit more code tweaking to be done. I will probably make a dedicated processor board for the flipper modes.... Even got Jersey Jack to have a game ( I won :D ) He's a nice guy and was more than happy to chat about design and stuff...So That's it for a while, The upgrades will happen, but not this year....

1017866804_grantnbeernbattlepinny.thumb.jpg.bc20d3afd57ac5affc2f357140d091c7.jpg1369956831_Grantvsjerseyjack.thumb.jpg.13612cd0dd0dabfadb17d915237aaa40.jpg

Battle Pinny at Flip Out Melbourne.. So this was the final goal with Battle Pinny. This is the last public viewing of Battle Pinny for a while. The goals where to get it to Pinfest, Bayside Pinball Club mega Meet,PAX Australia and then Flip out. Yet again everyone really had fun playing it, and more offers to buy one when I start mass producing them...So, some very unhappy people when I told them it will be the only one. Every player loves and hates the flipper modes ( dead flippers, Reverse flippers ) So some more good feed back on a bit more code tweaking to be done. I will probably make a dedicated processor board for the flipper modes.... Even got Jersey Jack to have a game ( I won :D ) He's a nice guy and was more than happy to chat about design and stuff...So That's it for a while, The upgrades will happen, but not this year....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]139377[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]139378[/ATTACH]

Its a great game i really enjoyed playing it

[ATTACH=CONFIG]139377[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]139378[/ATTACH]

It's been a wild ( and sometimes smokie :evil ) ride.:alien: congratulations!

I think you should put some thought into making a run. Nothing big but say 5 machines and just see how much you can knock the production costs down buying in just a bulk of 5 machines worth of parts, labour and costs.

Maybe get someone very familiar with programming with PRok or similar as your OP system and let them do all that for a fee allowing you to do the manufacturing of the cabinet and playfields and less making the boards.

I think you have a lot of interest out there for your product but it is a prototype and you need to streamline it to make manufacturing quicker, easier and to a profit.

Personally I think you have already achieved the hardest parts,

-you do have people that did look at your machine

-they went on to actually play it

-they did enjoy playing it

-and some actually wanted it for themselves

You now know what mistakes you made and won't do them again saving much money and time. You have all the data you used to create the prototype so you aren't starting from scratch.

You now can show exactly what you are trying to achieve and can shop around for the best prices including the cabinet build if need be and see what other people can think can do at lower costs or can aid in production time and costs.

Just my personal opinion the above but either way well done on an excellent HomeBrew.

• 3 weeks later...