Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Head to Head Battle Pinny

Nice find. Taito doing pinballs is a first but they have used coil activated machines before like a basket ball machine in a dome that had two players playing each other. The playfield was full of saucers with twin upkickers, (one for each player), that kicked the ball either away from you or towards you depending on which player hit there hole button first.

The object was to kick the ball to your players in the last row before the hoop and from that row all kickers would kick the ball through the hoop and you scored.

http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/tbasket1.jpg

Not exactly a pinball but it was like working on a pinball. The upkickers were exactly like twin knocker coil setups and they even used tip120 transistors to drive the coils.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/tbasket1.jpg

I used to love playing that Basket Ball game down at a Fun Parlour in Rye a long long long time ago....

I used to hate working on the piece of shit. It was because it was like a pinball and I did all the pinballs and the rest of the guys hated it and pinballs, it became mine till it was retired to the tip.

Problem was it had a habit of jamming on coils that would blow the transistors but would partially smoke the board each time. Picture the worst Williams system 4 driver board you have seen and this thing was worse.

Any time it had an issue, the dome was full of smoke.

• 7 months later...

I have made a Coil Monitor board for Battle Pinny. This checks if a coil has locked on ( a FET has shorted out keeping it energised ). So if it see's a coil on for more than 1 second ( Typical they are only on for 50m/s ). Then the board disconnects the high voltage circuit to all the playfield, stopping the coil flaming out. It also then shows a code ( in the video it shows "r" "POP" , so right pop bumper) Also the battle pinny will sound a message to turn off the machine immediately. The video shows a "boot up" count down, this is to allow my high voltage power supplies to fire up before the Coil Monitor Board starts checking the coils.

So if all goes to plan, all I have to do is replace a faulty FET driver Board and not a coil on the playfield :D My goal is it to last longer than 80 games at this years Pinfest :D

341565252_IMG_6041(1).thumb.jpg.318cf4388b114713fbc2ed370bf9b1b7.jpg

Taito in name only. No connection to Taito Japan and those pins are all modded originals, something Taito Japan could never get away with.

It was a subsidiary to the real Taito, just messy on paper to get around legal requirements for an international company in Brazil.

It was setup by Abraham Kogan, the son of Taito Japan founder, Michael Kogan.

The parent company in Japan would constantly send cash investments out to the Brazil subsidiary.

Founded as "Trevo", then brought "Taito" in as an associate, then renamed to "Taito do Brasil" (part of the work to get around local laws regarding international comapanies).

Some of Taito do Brasil video games were distributed in New Zealand by Taito New Zealand.

When Michael Kogan died, the new people running Taito Japan didn't like the setup with Taito do Brasil and was closed down.

To me, it seems like the connection was more than just a 'name'.

There were a couple of pins from them that were original, but yeah almost all were complete clones of machines that were earning really well elsewhere in the world.

Some of the estimated production numbers from previous employees is interesting, if there's any accuracy in it, they rival the numbers of US titles.

I used to hate working on the piece of shit. It was because it was like a pinball and I did all the pinballs and the rest of the guys hated it and pinballs, it became mine till it was retired to the tip.

Problem was it had a habit of jamming on coils that would blow the transistors but would partially smoke the board each time. Picture the worst Williams system 4 driver board you have seen and this thing was worse.

Any time it had an issue, the dome was full of smoke.

um .. this is a load of nonsense steve? are you mixing it up wih another game? i own a crown basketball ( and the schematic) and there is no driver board ? its all direct drive off the buttons

I have made a Coil Monitor board for Battle Pinny. This checks if a coil has locked on ( a FET has shorted out keeping it energised ). So if it see's a coil on for more than 1 second ( Typical they are only on for 50m/s ). Then the board disconnects the high voltage circuit to all the playfield, stopping the coil flaming out. It also then shows a code ( in the video it shows "r" "POP" , so right pop bumper) Also the battle pinny will sound a message to turn off the machine immediately. The video shows a "boot up" count down, this is to allow my high voltage power supplies to fire up before the Coil Monitor Board starts checking the coils.

So if all goes to plan, all I have to do is replace a faulty FET driver Board and not a coil on the playfield :D My goal is it to last longer than 80 games at this years Pinfest :D

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=152356https://youtu.be/Ta6IJryX69M

Great Upgrade

um .. this is a load of nonsense steve? are you mixing it up wih another game? i own a crown basketball ( and the schematic) and there is no driver board ? its all direct drive off the buttons

Was definitely a Taito and definitely had a PC board with all the transistor drives mounted to it. Micros on all the switch buttons that went to an edge connector on the PC board. It had solid state sounds including crowd cheering when a player scored a goal.

Looking at this one....

1960s-taito-crown-basketball-arcade_1_076ff1222f29f3eafb9b2d59148013d4.jpg

I can say it did not have those buttons, they were round Taito upright style and ours certainly wasn't made in the 60's. We would never have operated one so old in the 90s. Both player control panels hinged away from the dome and used the same style clips used to hold the panels on a standard upright Taito. The dome was bolted using 4 bolts, one each corner and the bottom of the machine hinged down and the PC board was mounted to that so to do any testing while the board was plugged in required you to sit on the ground otherwise to do major work on the board required it to be unscrewed off the hinged cabinet base, unplugged and repaired as a board. Though memory the PC board was large and each end of the board had the transistors mounted that drove that end players coils.

The power supply looked similar to those used on a Taito Car cabinet like Top Speed but was no interchangeable. It was a one off.

The coin door had twin mechanical coin mechs but the coin entrances were in the top surface of the cabinet making it a top load coin entrance. Very un Taito like and were prone to jamming.

Does this sound like your Taito Basket Ball?.

no you have them mixed up - you might have had this later one but you didnt have the crown basketball above

https://flyers.arcade-museum.com/flyers_arcade/taito/28003101.jpg

Yer, I don't remember any mention of Crown on the machine at all to tell you the truth. It only had Taito markings on the sides and the player panels and the machine was a green and lighter green colouring, actually the colours were the same green colours my Taito upright has but this is through memory and that is like I said, the 90's. It was not the same markings as the one I linked to above at all. The legs were very similar though. Round, tapered and wooden.

I've looked on the net and found nothing that really is exactly the same as I remember but when you said coils wired directly to the switches, no, this things was definitely solid state. Made using parts mainly out of 70-80's Taito parts bin where possible. Problem is, now I'm really curious what this machine was. It may have been rare even though I still hated the Fing thing.:realmad:

no you have them mixed up - you might have had this later one but you didnt have the crown basketball above

https://flyers.arcade-museum.com/flyers_arcade/taito/28003101.jpg

No I didn't have a Crown. It was this Taito Basketball...

28003101.jpg

Memory did let me down on the colour but this is it. Exactly the same. Can only find this flyer on this machine so far.

• Administrators

I picked up a control panel from that game about 25 years ago. No dealer could tell me where it had come from at the time. They all expected it to be a standup arcade machine, not that sucker.

Mystery solved, but control panel LONG GONE.

• 2 weeks later...
Just out of interest, how are you going to test the coil lock board?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It actually checks if the coil has been pulled down to 0VDC. If that stays low for too long ( say a shorted FET) then it powers down. The way to test it is to simply disconnect the voltage it looks for at each input. It works on the principle that the coil has basically 40VDC on each side of it if its not active, this then feeds an opto that the picaxe looks at...simplz. I will explain it over a beer at Pinfest :D

• 1 month later...

Battle Pinny Pub Code Update....after Pinfest and Pax this year, I have decided to dumb down the rule set for Battle Pinny for when its played by the General Public. No matter how hard I try to explain how the machine can be played....its pointless. Humans are Humans...push start button, spam flip, lose or win, enjoy, move on :huh:

So Pub Code Changes are:

As soon as Start is pushed fire the ball into the trough ( it used to wait for the "lets get ready to rumble" to play and fire the ball....Joe Public did not like this )

Now has a Ball Save active for about 4 seconds

Life back and Blackout Mode removed off the rollover target modes ( and yes Dead Flippers Mode !!!!! is still active :D )

"Lets get ready to rumble" start track now controlled by the background music player system. it will still play on start up.

Only one 7 segment display will show "BATTLE PINNY IS FUN" in attract mode...It could spell "BOOBLESS" or "SHELLOIL" , but it wont:lol

MAGNET Targets will still give magnet credits and a life back.

Just a note on programming....Its a bugger !

I had a bug in the new code, doing real weird stuff on the ball save function? was doing my head in, then Ah Ha!

the code was "if b3=30 then ballsave", seems simple right, yeah nah. Because what happens if b3 goes higher than 30 , like 32 ? Bug City that's what !!!

Its like the holy hand grenade, 28 is not enough, 29 is ok as long as you go to 30....31 is way too much. So unless this counter stopped exactly at 30, then big bugs happening.

So how do you fix it? You have the Ah ha Moment...call it a little F$#ker, and do this "if b3=>30 then ballsave" the greater than(>) fixed it ( Thank you to my primary school maths teacher )..... so that's 15minutes of my life I wont get back.

Anyhow, come to Flip Out in Melbourne, Play the new improved pub code in Battle Pinny, and buy me a beer if you see me there :D

Regards Grunta

489560428_pubcode.JPG.d30d3ae3f09e97a6022c496f27900765.JPG

Battle Pinny Pub Code Update....after Pinfest and Pax this year, I have decided to dumb down the rule set for Battle Pinny for when its played by the General Public. No matter how hard I try to explain how the machine can be played....its pointless. Humans are Humans...push start button, spam flip, lose or win, enjoy, move on :huh:

So Pub Code Changes are:

As soon as Start is pushed fire the ball into the trough ( it used to wait for the "lets get ready to rumble" to play and fire the ball....Joe Public did not like this )

Now has a Ball Save active for about 4 seconds

Life back and Blackout Mode removed off the rollover target modes ( and yes Dead Flippers Mode !!!!! is still active :D )

"Lets get ready to rumble" start track now controlled by the background music player system. it will still play on start up.

Only one 7 segment display will show "BATTLE PINNY IS FUN" in attract mode...It could spell "BOOBLESS" or "SHELLOIL" , but it wont:lol

MAGNET Targets will still give magnet credits and a life back.

Just a note on programming....Its a bugger !

I had a bug in the new code, doing real weird stuff on the ball save function? was doing my head in, then Ah Ha!

the code was "if b3=30 then ballsave", seems simple right, yeah nah. Because what happens if b3 goes higher than 30 , like 32 ? Bug City that's what !!!

Its like the holy hand grenade, 28 is not enough, 29 is ok as long as you go to 30....31 is way too much. So unless this counter stopped exactly at 30, then big bugs happening.

So how do you fix it? You have the Ah ha Moment...call it a little F$#ker, and do this "if b3=>30 then ballsave" the greater than(>) fixed it ( Thank you to my primary school maths teacher )..... so that's 15minutes of my life I wont get back.

Anyhow, come to Flip Out in Melbourne, Play the new improved pub code in Battle Pinny, and buy me a beer if you see me there :D

Regards Grunta

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=155247

Battlepin with Beer Coin Mech, Ice cold beer gets a Game??

Bloody Bugs ! So Battle Pinny went to Flip Out Melbourne this weekend for its last public outing. It played well and made lots of people very happy :D But it was doing some weird things with the game start and final point scoring????? There is some weird bug buried in the new program for the Main Processor !!!! :realmad:

The new software with the ball save timer I thought was fine. it tested perfectly at home??? Well, put the machine out in the real world with Joe and Josephine Public...and sure enough, if it can go slightly wrong, it will. So back into pulling the code apart to find the pesky little Bug. ( bug now found and squished )

1890295275_flipout6.thumb.jpg.ed434b3da3fbe01835472b856addefb3.jpg

Edited by thegrunta666