Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Head to Head Battle Pinny

@thegrunta666,

You need T-Shirts that say: " I played the battle pinny and I survived". :-) Polycarb is good.

Such a fun game even in it's current state. Plays a bit like advanced air hockey at the moment. I particularly like the "dead flipper" mode where the flippers die for about 1 sec, come on for a second, die, etc. which encourages strategic play. Even without the magnets and other planned features I kept wanting to have one more game.

A very professional design which shows how much care you have taken every step of the way. I honestly believe it would be more popular as is than the air hockey tables you see in arcades.

Well done mate.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Addon mod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know he has a smoke machine......thought it would go well with the music and lights from pinny

Just to clarify, not a ciggy machine, a fog machine :blink:

Edited by Rich

It already is an LE version, as Im ever only ever going to make 1:D

Now that this one is finished what is the next HomeBrew?

Although my Home Brew is still in design stage, it is intended to have swap over playfields as in change the playfield and the backbox glass and it becomes a totally different machine. One thing I learnt doing video game conversions was how the same cabinet could be used over and over again and I could never see why pinballs didn't go this path especially when they went sticker side artwork.

What are your thoughts on that approach?

Although my Home Brew is still in design stage, it is intended to have swap over playfields as in change the playfield and the backbox glass and it becomes a totally different machine. One thing I learnt doing video game conversions was how the same cabinet could be used over and over again and I could never see why pinballs didn't go this path especially when they went sticker side artwork.

Sounds like a Heighway design :)

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk

Bell Games did this with the Tiger rag pinball, In fact, if you think about it, this is all Stern does. The cabinet and headbox stays the same. Main processor ,power supplies stay the same. Just put in a different playfield and software to suit it. So yes you cave the one cabinet and swap in and out playfields and just download the new code for that playfield into the Main Processor. Stick your Translite in for that game. Keep the side and Head box artwork generic. The impracticality is the price to populate a playfield with mechs, plastics and parts. If you had a few stored in the shed to swap in and out it would get pricey.

The other thing is to have different playfield overlays , but this would just mean your changing the playfield artwork, not the layout or rule set of the pinny, so a bit boring.....not to mention the time it would take to strip down, fit overlay and re-populate.

The Multimorphic pinball is the way of the furture in this regard. I have yet to see one in the flesh, but would like to try one and see how it plays and if it gives me the right "vibe" or not.

The next homebrew has been thought about, and the lessons learned of this one will fast track a lot of the design on it. Also, no more or minimal hand made boards !!!! I will use off the shelf boards. As for the theme a few people know, but I'm not telling:p

So good luck and start pumping out the pinny @Autosteve

Just allows me to reuse the expensive parts like the transformer, boards, displays etc rather than needing to keep sourcing these parts but being able to change the layout and rules a lot quicker.

Can't really afford to build compete new machines trying to get the mix right.

Nothing worse than getting your balls caught !:o But the lasers make me fell better. Playing the pinny is now showing design issues. But this was to be expected. The latest one is the ball when it gets a full flip off the other player, launches enough off the centre point that it gets airborne and cannons itself between the rubber and plastic.:realmad: The first time it happened, I thought it was a fluke, second time, is a problem to be solved ! So either I put on a thicker plastic or put a third post in on that rubber in the centre. I think this is the best option. I have also fitted the winners laser beam ! So Red wins, purdy red lasers shine, if Blue wins, purdy Blue lasers shine ! I will be buggered if I have gone to all this trouble to make this pinny and it did not have "laser beams" The pic shows the "laser" controller board. I had to hack the laser unit so i could select which laser was on. Also I had to delay how the unit is powered and which laser is connected. Initial testing blew the blue laser and cost me 90 bucks ! God Damn research and development costs?

20180707_110443_resized.thumb.jpg.e939bc146ab72572b446a8f1a839be5e.jpg20180707_110614_resized.thumb.jpg.55a346e08c1745657f01ffb699cd0ddd.jpg

Playing the pinny is now showing design issues. But this was to be expected. The latest one is the ball when it gets a full flip off the other player, launches enough off the centre point that it gets airborne and cannons itself between the rubber and plastic.:realmad: The first time it happened, I thought it was a fluke, second time, is a problem to be solved ! So either I put on a thicker plastic or put a third post in on that rubber in the centre.

HomeBrew pinball requires HomeBrew new idea solutions I think...

Take off the rubbers used by pinballs from day dot of pinball development and replace them with thick rubbers like those used on flippers.

Google "Silicon Bands" and you will see things like this...

s-l640.jpg

Digging into my HomeBrew ideas here but I would regard The Battle Pinny as a good cause.

Thicker face will stop the balls getting under and also rebound the ball back parallel to the playfield unlike round rubbers.

Larger surface area to contact the ball should encourage more ball spin as well.

Seriously though, why do pinball still use round rubbers? Nostalgia?...Because it certainly isn't the best solution I don't think.

• 3 weeks later...

Need help with Pinball Background Music ! Ok so after test plays of Battle Pinny, one of the numerous critiques was "Its really needs a background track playing". So Im sticking in another MP3 Player to run background tracks.I can run upto 256 different backing tracks if I want, but what music to use?

This is where I need some help and suggestions ! Or an audio engineer :D.

You must remember this is You VS the other player ! I suggested to the family a few music tracks like ABBA " The Winner takes It All", this was voted down unanimously ! or "I will Survive", also voted down.....

The pinny is probably suited to techno tracks, like Derezzed by Daft Punk , watch the attached vid from the 50 second mark.

maybe @Zedmaniac might like to help :D @nmercury has come up with few suggestions ,Frankie Goes to Hollywood - "Two Tribes", Playing to win, LRB, Lose yourself, Eminem, AC-DC Thunderstruck, Iron Maiden - Run To The Hills

So if you can help, or know tracks that might suit, please let me know...Pinfest is coming fast, so lots to do in a short amount of time....HELP:o